Join Early Retirement Today

Sunday anxiety-work related
Old 03-19-2017, 02:50 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Sunday anxiety-work related

As I write this on Sunday afternoon, I have started to feel the typical anxiety related to going back to work on Monday. This happens to me just about every Sunday. You may know what I mean by that, where your mind starts to think about work related issues and you begin to problem solve what you anticipate will be the first problems you'll face in the coming day. It's not overwhelming, but as a typical "planner" I seem to do this naturally. I look forward to the time when this no longer happens to me. That time should be coming within the next year for me, but maybe not that soon for some others who are getting close or hoping for an early out.
The reason for my post is an attempt to encourage others (as well as myself) that as we continue to make progress towards our own finish line, that we can power through these anxieties. I am trying to keep things in perspective and maintain a positive attitude. In my case its been 26+ years of climbing the ladder to a sr. staff position in the state system. I don't wish to "coast" my way out or be unproductive in my last year, so my approach is to try hard to create an attitude of being a good administrator, supervisor, and a mentor to my staff as well as trying not to sweat the small stuff. The changes and incompetence I encounter at work is more difficult to take these days and most is beyond my level of control, so its not worth the high stress levels anymore. I also have my small quarterly goals and symbols on my white board that I celebrate to myself that keeps me going. This is my plan moving forward and until my time comes, I'll just keep on keepin' on.
Plan B is to be confident in my ER numbers and timing, as that is my "kiss my a$$" card if I need to play it earlier than I really want.

I am curious if anyone who is already retired remembers the Sunday anxiety while working and how it finally felt to not experience that anymore?
TGL405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2017, 02:52 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Sunday? Today is Sunday? Who knew...
Old 03-19-2017, 02:55 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I know what you mean, but my experience with it is waning. Only 2 more Monday's to go!
Old 03-19-2017, 03:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGL405 View Post

I am curious if anyone who is already retired remembers the Sunday anxiety while working and how it finally felt to not experience that anymore?
For Job's I disliked, sometimes.

In a couple of jobs early on, I worked graveyard shift , Strange, but on that shift , the "aw crap, it's back to work " thing didn't seem to happen even though I disliked the assignment.
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 03:01 PM   #5

I had a lot Sunday anxiety on my last job. Just the thought of my commute would do it. Work was not even in my mind yet.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 03:09 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I vaguely remember Sunday anxiety. Even though I worked 1-2 days a week for my last 2 years, my colleagues and clients had my cell phone number. So it didn't matter if Monday was a workday or not. I spent Sundays in anticipation of the barrage of phone calls and emails that were soon to come.

Not any more though. I seldom know what day it is without having to check.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 03:54 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I had it constantly before my ER in early 2015. Every Sunday, late afternoon, the anxiety would creep in. It took about 18 months after ER to shake if off. Sundays are very pleasant and leisurely now. It will wear off for you, too.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:15 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

I w@rk for the State also but gave up the "fretting Monday's" after being promoted from my last position. I've sort of been coasting for the last couple of years and have had numerous staff changes.

I've really changed my demeanor over time regarding what I expected from others. The reason being is that I recognize that we have poor systems and structure in State Govt. and I got tired of fighting the obvious (incompetence, as you call it.). I like being busy and State employment doesn't encourage productivity.

Today is about using my annual leave, sick leave, etc. and preparing for FIRE. I've spent my years doing my best and I no longer have aspirations of needing to "upstage others" or "proving myself to anyone."

I am grateful for State employment as it made my 2nd career (last 13 years) pretty manageable and mostly stress free. I also love the fact that they will provide me lifetime healthcare and a monthly supplement. For me, it's more about the gratitude of showing up and doing the best I can and reaping the rewards of being close to Early retirement.

By the way, I negotiated taking every other Monday off over the 13 years.

Michaela
IMATERP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 04:54 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Eeee gads.....yes, I remember it now. It nearly makes me nauseated thinking about it now. It is a shame that some / a lot of people have to go through that. I remember having it on Sunday afternoons and then feeling ill on my way to work monday mornings. I had a job that while I grew over the years to not like / resent it, it paid very well for this area, so I decided to tough it out until I had a big enough pile.

I think it is one of those deals where you have to experience the pain to experience the pleasure on the other side. It didn't take long for me to lose that sunday feeling of dread - maybe a week or two. I am so thankful to be through with that.

Hang in there - It's only been a few years since I retired, but the work experience seems like ages ago, now. For me, it really is like the fog of war has lifted and I'm finally living in reality.
tomc5179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 04:58 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

I used to hate Fridays because I wouldn't be working on the weekend. Then I stopped liking my j*b, and the dread moved to Sunday afternoon/evening. After I retired, the Sunday dread lasted for about a month after I got back from a month long "vacation". After 18 months, I can honestly say that if it wasn't for Sunday Football games (and now the NCAA Tournament), I wouldn't know it was Sunday!
Taxman59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:05 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I just finished reviewing our Sunday report and looking at my meetings for the upcoming week. Only 6 more Sundays to go. I hear you on the anxiety, looking forward to having my Sundays back and ending my 55 hour work weeks.
Rdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:09 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Sunday? Today is Sunday? Who knew...
Lol! Exactly
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:12 PM   #13

yes, I remember it, but for me, it took very little time to leave it behind once I retired.
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:14 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Too far in the past. I just keep track of the days of the week so I don't miss Sunday morning Mass. I also try to keep track of birthdays, anniversaries and holidays so I don't forget to buy gifts. I'm not always successful.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:26 PM   #15
Gone but not forgotten

To: TGL405: Great Post!

It has been 32 years since I worked in that atmosphere, but it's just a second away in my memory. Everything you said and more. One week vacations were down to 5 days between the wind down and the day-before angst.

I think it's the measure of a person who attaches sincerity and dedication to his/her life's responsibilities. Caring is not weakness.

That said, the sweetness of waking to a peaceful day in retirement becomes a treasure, well earned.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:29 PM   #16

It took me a couple years of retirement to get over the anxiety triggered by hearing the 60 Minutes clock ticking. But I heard it tonight and just smiled.
Which Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGL405 View Post
As I write this on Sunday afternoon, I have started to feel the typical anxiety related to going back to work on Monday. This happens to me just about every Sunday.
Just finished reviewing my weekend work emails to plan for my Monday. Last week annoyed me with a near impossible project being dropped in my lap via Sales with an already upset client and Summer deadline. The BS bucket almost filled up instantly but my Boss heard my concern and frustration. I'm not working 80+ hours/week, nor am I adjusting Spring Break or Summer vacations with the family. I told Sales and my Boss, I did not commit to any 2017 target without resources, so they need to offer up commission to anyone working OT and fund contracted resources otherwise cancel the contract to avoid reputation damage. If it stop being fun, it's time to move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
I had a lot Sunday anxiety on my last job. Just the thought of my commute would do it. Work was not even in my mind yet.
Minor fender bender on the 405 on Friday afternoon didn't help. I was lucky to be in the HOV lane. Once the sticker expires in Jan 2019, I might be done unless I carpool with someone.
Aiming_4_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:52 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

As I write this, I'm on a Sunday flight for w*rk. I have my tentative ER date in 6 mths at 60 but a bit nervous about having the cushion. Days like these I want to say noooo to the cushion.
TNBigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:29 PM   #19

I was never lucky enough to have a Monday- Friday job. I always worked weekends and holidays. So I never experienced the Sunday night blues. It really made me focus on being able to have enough money to get out of there.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:39 PM   #20

I did not generally experience Sunday night blues in my career. I almost always enjoyed the work that I did and looked forward to it. About the only times I remember the Sunday anxiety was when I knew I was ready to move on and find another job but I allowed my inertia to keep me from moving on to the next thing.

I actually now experience weekend blues. I love my Monday - Fridays, but come Friday night, I know that my town is going to be overrun with tourists, traffic is going to be a nightmare, and finding a parking space at Costco will be near impossible. As I sit here tonight typing this, I dream of Monday morning coming, everyone going back to wherever they came from, and having the swimming pool all to myself to swim laps in peace and solitude.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote