Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Take Reduced Benefits ????
Old 07-29-2005, 09:19 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Ok, maybe I am a bit slow today....

I understand a pension is taxable income; but is not considered as "earned income"

Does this non-earned income affect paying taxes on SS at age 62?

What about other non-earned income that is still taxable like capital gains?

Inquiring minds want to know and not yet being retired...I don't have the time to look all this up yet.

Thanks in advance.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2005, 10:42 AM   #22

Another reason to take it earlier: Your spending will probably decline as you get older.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:00 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

"Another reason to take it earlier: Your spending will probably decline as you get older."

- very good point. I think that is demonstrated in the "studies".
Old 07-29-2005, 11:58 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
Another reason to take it earlier: Your spending will probably decline as you get older.
While I recognize this is true for many, I'm not convinced this will be true for us. My DW and I love to travel. We are almost never home. Since retirement, we have traveled all over North America -- mostly by car. We camp whenever possible. We stay in budget hotels if camping isn't available. We hike and backpack. We raft down rivers and hike up mountains. These are all relatively inexpensive things to do and we enjoy them. But when we get older, I expect that we won't be able to do many of these things. Instead, I expect us to fly more instead of drive, stay in more comfortable hotels and fewer tents. I expect us to join some tours rather than do all our own homework and legwork. We'll enjoy this kind of travel, but it will probably cost more. So I'm guessing that we might spend more as we get older.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 01:25 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ((^+^)) SG
While I recognize this is true for many, I'm not convinced this will be true for us.*

Instead, I expect us to fly more instead of drive, stay in more comfortable hotels and fewer tents.* I expect us to join some tours rather than do all our own homework and legwork.* We'll enjoy this kind of travel, but it will probably cost more.* So I'm guessing that we might spend more as we get older.* *
I've posted before about George Stott, whom I admire (but won't emulate) for having the courage to make this shameless declaration that:
"Every few years, I do an extensive study as to what it would cost us to live were we to stop working. The figure goes up each time I do this. Nice to have items that are easily affordable because we continue to work have become necessities. We could have retired years ago at a much lower annual cost than today. A few years from now, I suspect it will be even higher. On the flip side, our lifestyle continues to improve as we go on more trips, etc."

At the time he wrote this, nearly five years ago, he was 68. He's still working!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 04:23 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
I've posted before about George Stott, whom I admire (but won't emulate) for having the courage to make this shameless declaration that:
"Every few years, I do an extensive study as to what it would cost us to live were we to stop working.* The figure goes up each time I do this.* Nice to have items that are easily affordable because we continue to work have become necessities.* We could have retired years ago at a much lower annual cost than today.* A few years from now, I suspect it will be even higher.* On the flip side, our lifestyle continues to improve as we go on more trips, etc."

At the time he wrote this, nearly five years ago, he was 68.* He's still working!
He's nuts!

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 04:59 PM   #27

NWSteve,

I'm sorry that I confused you. Ex-Jarhead nailed the explanation. There are 2 separate issues. I was speaking to whether or not you would be able to draw your social security benefits that you are due for the year or if some of the benefits would be withheld due to your earned income. The second issue is whether or not a person's social security benefit is taxed. You are correct that social security benefits can be taxed. Federal income tax can be withheld from your social security benefits. State income tax can not be withheld from your social security benefits.

Dreamer
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 05:27 PM   #28

Quote:
While I recognize this is true for many, I'm not convinced this will be true for us.* My DW and I love to travel.* We are almost never home.* Since retirement, we have traveled all over North America -- mostly by car.* We camp whenever possible.* We stay in budget hotels if camping isn't available.* We hike and backpack.* We raft down rivers and hike up mountains.* These are all relatively inexpensive things to do and we enjoy them.* But when we get older, I expect that we won't be able to do many of these things.* Instead, I expect us to fly more instead of drive, stay in more comfortable hotels and fewer tents.* I expect us to join some tours rather than do all our own homework and legwork.* We'll enjoy this kind of travel, but it will probably cost more.* So I'm guessing that we might spend more as we get older.* *
Or you might stay home and sit on your porch. You never know.

JG
Old 07-29-2005, 07:05 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
He's nuts!

JG
My company has an 80 year old salesman that just had his kidney removed and plans to come back to work. * He has plenty of money but claims he can't find anything more fun to do than being a salesman. Also bought a Hummer last year! To me that is nuts, but if he is happy..... so be it.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:56 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
Or you might stay home and sit on your porch.* You never know.

JG
I realize that. Our interests could change dramatically. But I'm not counting on it.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:20 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-Jarhead
confused because of two different issues.

On the one hand, at age 62, if you have earned income, ie. a job, you will lose part of your soc. security directly.* Not talking about tax situation, but an actual reduction of Soc. Security benefits.

What you alluded to in your quote above, is that soc. Sec. benefits are subject to TAXES if certain guidelines are exceeded.

Two different issues.

Basically, if you are age 62, and do not have a job, your soc. sec. won't be affected directly, no matter how much income you have.

If that;s not clear, fire away, I'm retired and have plenty of time.
ExJarhead
Thanks you cleared it up.* After your message I found the info on SSA web.* Pensions are TAXABLE but not "earned income" for determining penalty when taking early SS and earning over 12K.
You helped a bunch.*
Thanks
Nwsteve
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 04:11 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOG51
My company has an 80 year old salesman that just had his kidney removed and plans to come back to work. * He has plenty of money but claims he can't find anything more fun to do than being a salesman. Also bought a Hummer last year! To me that is nuts, but if he is happy..... so be it.
Yeah, you are right. If you are happy working until you drop then go for it.

JG
Old 07-30-2005, 09:54 AM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
We hike and backpack.* We raft down rivers and hike up mountains.* These are all relatively inexpensive things to do and we enjoy them.* But when we get older, I expect that we won't be able to do many of these things.* Instead, I expect us to fly more instead of drive, stay in more comfortable hotels and fewer tents.* I expect us to join some tours rather than do all our own homework and legwork.
I wouldn't be too sure about this, SG.* I'm driving to Reno today for the 75th birthday of my favorite backpacking leader.* I've followed this guy through Utah wilderness -- down canyon and up cliff wall -- for the last 8 years.* He leaves me in the dust every single time.* He also planned and took off for an independent backpacking trip across Europe -- with his 50-year-old girlfriend in tow.

There's another Sierra club member, Elizabeth, who leads hikes regularly also, at 83.* Back when she was 73 she hosted her MOTHER from Germany, who joined her on the mountain trails!* I know a lot more like her.

Sounds like you and DW are well on your way to a very healthy and active retirement which will, given your fitness levels, probably also save you thousands of dollars in motels, meds, tours, etc.

Caroline
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 10:24 AM   #34

Caroline,

That is wonderful. I love hearing about people who are loving their retirement and also about people who don't let their age get in the way of doing what they want to do. I think the key is in the planning, whether it be for retirement or who staying healthy!!

Dreamer
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 11:16 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline
I wouldn't be too sure about this, SG.* I'm driving to Reno today for the 75th birthday of my favorite backpacking leader.* I've followed this guy through Utah wilderness -- down canyon and up cliff wall -- for the last 8 years.* He leaves me in the dust every single time.* He also planned and took off for an independent backpacking trip across Europe -- with his 50-year-old girlfriend in tow.

There's another Sierra club member, Elizabeth, who leads hikes regularly also, at 83.* Back when she was 73 she hosted her MOTHER from Germany, who joined her on the mountain trails!* I know a lot more like her.

Sounds like you and DW are well on your way to a very healthy and active retirement which will, given your fitness levels, probably also save you thousands of dollars in motels, meds, tours, etc.

Caroline
I hope you're right. I know such people too. But I also know those that had an accident or illness in their 50's or 60's and never completely recovered. I'm not sure how much of it is conditioning and keeping active vs how much of it is luck. I can do my best to stay active and in shape. The luck I can hope for.
Old 07-30-2005, 03:20 PM   #36

I think of it like tires.

You can have bald tires and never get in an accident, or you can have good tires and crash right away. But, if you have good tires (healthy habits), you're less likely to crash.

Note that you can use a longevity calculator to get a feeling for how long you might live.
Old 07-30-2005, 03:33 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline
I wouldn't be too sure about this, SG. I'm driving to Reno today for the 75th birthday of my favorite backpacking leader. I've followed this guy through Utah wilderness -- down canyon and up cliff wall -- for the last 8 years. He leaves me in the dust every single time. He also planned and took off for an independent backpacking trip across Europe -- with his 50-year-old girlfriend in tow.

There's another Sierra club member, Elizabeth, who leads hikes regularly also, at 83. Back when she was 73 she hosted her MOTHER from Germany, who joined her on the mountain trails! I know a lot more like her.

Caroline
Awesome! Let's see, the mother must have been 93 minimum. When I grow up, I wanna be like that!

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 08:23 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I'm not sure how much of it is conditioning and keeping active vs how much of it is luck.* I can do my best to stay active and in shape.* The luck I can hope for.
The harder I work the luckier I get. The worst part of the day is the 30 minutes before we go to tae kwon do ("I'm tired, *whine*") but then I realize that I'll have many more years when I'm able to sit my butt in a recliner and not so many when I can do 360-degree hook kicks.

I had Monterey (Naval Postgraduate School) courses with Gene Haderlie, an oceanographer, and Dr. Hamming (the computer scientist who invented Hamming codes). They had interesting personalities. Students were as likely to call Prof. Haderlie "Gene" as "Dr.", while I'm pretty sure that Dr. Hamming's first name has always been "Dr." Gene used to take 20+ of us 20-somethings to the local intertidal zones and run us ragged showing us types of marine life and their habitats. I can still remember him scampering up & down the tidepools while we slogged along trying to keep up (and to take notes). If he's still alive (he was in his 80s then but I don't see any obituaries on the web) he must be over 100 now.

Dr. Hamming's course was about the "art" of science & engineering problem solving. It was one of those Feynman-like courses where you put down your pencil and just gaze in awe upon the performance, trying to soak up the living history while it's there. He passed away suddenly a few years back but he was still teaching into his 80s with no thought of "retirement".

Monterey was filled with other active fossils professors who'd found their avocation and didn't want to turn it off. I guess other schools are similar. The good ones were very good but the bad ones were very bad. I can understand the attraction of doing stand-up in front of a captive audience students but I'm not sure which category they'd consider me in...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 06:41 PM   #39
Dryer sheet aficionado

Hi Nords,

Here's a link to a Richard Hamming (but says he invented Hamming codes):

http://www.todayinsci.com/cgi-bin/in...com/2/2_11.htm

born 1915, died 1998.
sparkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 02:47 PM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

SS dude at the retirement seminar said we're almost always better off taking the benefit as soon as we're eligible.

"Who among us is smart enough to learn from the mistakes of others?" - Voltaire
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote