Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

taking the leap in 5 years and feeling nauseous
Old 03-30-2013, 03:46 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

taking the leap in 5 years and feeling nauseous

I just learned about this forum through the folks at "Married with Luggage." My spouse and I are set to leave our traditional jobs on December 31, 2018. Out dream is to go work for the National Park Service in the western United States as our second career. How will we do it? What do we do to start the ball rolling? I don't know. I'm scared and excited all at the same time. The first step is this: finding more like-minded people who I can learn from and get support from.
Looking forward to the journey!
Jo
prairiecitychick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2013, 05:42 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You have plenty of time to get used to the idea. Nothing to be scared of......
Old 03-30-2013, 06:00 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I love Married with Luggage! Welcome to the board, and congrats on taking action to reach out! If you browse around a little, you'll find tons of great info and get some ideas of where you might want to go from here.

WM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:20 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome aboard.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:54 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome! Our official target is also 2018, but bailing earlier is a good possibility.

For starters, get your ducks in a row. Have you run firecalc? Do you have a good idea of your expenses? Have you thought how they may change in second career or retirement? Do you have access to health insurance? If not, are you prepared for the expense?

We have a friend who dreams of doing the park service thing too. I think a lot of people do, so you should research that. May not be as easy as you think. At your age at that time, will you be physically able?

Don't be nauseated. This is an adventure. Soak it in! I have one warning, now that you are thinking about it, you might find it consumes you. I know it is doing so with me!
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:45 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome to the forum, prairiecitychick.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote