Join Early Retirement Today
Old 07-22-2014, 12:54 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by BGH1 View Post
I did read an article that indicated if you pull SS as early as you can, and invest all the payouts, you come out ahead when compared to waiting for a larger payout. I know this will only be advantageous if the plan is to leave funds for children etc...
It will only be advantageous if your investments increase enough to offset the increasing SS payment or if you die before reaching the actuarial tipping point. Anything that increases your estate will be appreciated by your heirs.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane -- Marcus Aurelius
2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2014, 01:24 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by BGH1 View Post
Budget equates to around 77K per year. So, on a 4% draw I can get by with 2.5M (want some buffer).
Make sure you also include taxes in your budget as people either go to jail for not paying taxes, run out of money prematurely with continued lifestyle or are forced to investigate the pet food aisle.

NgineER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:19 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by molof View Post

do keep close tabs on the expenses of your advisor.

I just did a quick calculation on your numbers from above, don't know what you are contributing each year, but it is more than $54k as you stated.

8 years of compounded interest at 8% (high I know...) from $1.8MM and $54k contributions --> $3.95MM
If you pay your advisor 1.5% (don't know how much it is...)

8 years of compounded interest at 6.5% (8-1.5%) from $1.8MM and $54k contributions --> $3.56MM

That 1.5% fee turns into 10% less in your final portfolio. That is just in the accumulation phase.
I realize this is an old thread but trying to find people in the class of '22 and found this thread.

It's interesting to compare returns but how do you compare risk? For example, maybe you are making greater returns because you take on slightly more risk in your investment mix!? I obviously don't know. So maybe year 9 your self-managed portfolio goes down 10% and the manager goes down 2%!? My concern with simplified comparisons is it's really hard to do a true apples to apples comparison except for the very long term because then risk has been naturally factored in better. I don't think there is an easy way to factor risk in other than time. Would be curious what analysis is done by you and by the broker on this issue!? I hope things have continued well since this thread was posted. Good luck with your continued success.

Hoping to get out around September 1, 2022... I hope, I hope, I hope. Until then off to work I go....
CaliKid is offline   Reply With Quote