Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-01-2013, 10:28 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larro Darro View Post
I thought I had posted on this thread last night, but the NSA must have forgot to forward it. What I was going to say, is welcome to the forum. And why limit yourself to the two choices? The US of A is a big place, as is the EU. The healthcare in EU might be a wash with the higher taxes. But you have enough assets to live in comfort for a long time, where ever you decide on.
The person I know that retired back in the UK goes to Malta or some other warm and sunny place for the winter.

I think a townhouse or some place in Southeast UK would be pretty cool. The old manor houses converted to condos look intriguing. Maybe some place where you could go into London for day trips for plays and museum visits and Paris on the chunnel for the weekend, with winter in Malta or the South of France.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2013, 11:13 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

It'd be nice to think that my budget would support a snowbird lifestyle across Europe, but I'm really not sure how much that sort of trip costs yet. Nice dream though!

When I left Chicago, it was after months of planning, choosing the best place for me in the USofA. Most other locations would subject me to the sort of climactic extremes that I've escaped. I've told myself for years that if I left this house it'd be for repatriation purposes - and though I've searched this land for comparable housing, nothing has the appeal of home. Of course, it's been a few years since my last visit, so I'm prepared for my rose coloured specs to be ripped off real quick
Jackanory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:07 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackanory View Post
It'd be nice to think that my budget would support a snowbird lifestyle across Europe, but I'm really not sure how much that sort of trip costs yet. Nice dream though!
I have been pricing that lifestyle and I suspect it might be quite doable for someone with your finances. The person I know that lives like that lives in a condo in a less expensive part of the UK, has an economy car and does do all that traveling on a pretty modest budget, plus visits to the U.S.

London is pretty expensive, but retirees who don't need to commute to London could live in a city outside of London and take the train in for day trips.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:55 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome to the forum.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote