Join Early Retirement Today

Thailand/Mexico
Old 02-11-2007, 06:16 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Thailand/Mexico

Helloo out there!

I'm not sure where to post this so I'll start here...

I'm pretty close to being able to retire as long as I keep my expenses below $16K/year.

Has anyone lived in Thailand or Mexico (or any other stable, inexpensive place) for more than a few months? If so, would you be willing to tell me your costs for rent, food, internet or anything else you can think of (except health insurance-I've already got that one figured out).
Lightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Thailand/Mexico
Old 02-11-2007, 10:41 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the board, Lightfoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
Has anyone lived in Thailand or Mexico (or any other stable, inexpensive place) for more than a few months? If so, would you be willing to tell me your costs for rent, food, internet or anything else you can think of (except health insurance-I've already got that one figured out).
I see you're getting answers to this question on the other section of the board. It can take a few hours for someone with the answers to stop by, so don't feel ignored if you don't get a response for up to 24 hours.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 10:02 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Have you considered the Dominican Republic? I retired there 5 years ago with a pension of CAN 1,600 per month with that I built a house, bought land, and have more that I had in Canada. Still saving a few dollars every month. If you would like more info contact me.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:40 AM   #4
Dryer sheet wannabe

I love living in Panama!

We are currently buy a very nice house in a gated community just outside of Panama City.

The people here are very friendly, the infrastucture is excellent, and the scenery is beautiful.
There are a number of excellent restaurants (we've found some very good ones on the
Amador Causeway). We also feel right at home shopping at the local malls: Albrook,
MultiCentro, and... MultiPlaza Pacific, my favorite (and my husband's favorite too
because there's a very large hardware store in the mall).

We have excellent internet access here, and we have an "English speaking channels" cable
TV package (it's actually a bit odd watching CNN or FOX news now
that we don't live in the US anymore -- all the doom, gloom,and hysteria
going on back home seems very strange now, because everything's
so serene and laid-back around here).

The cost of living in Panama is cheaper than it was when we lived in America. And, our
standard of living is higher now, because our money goes much further. We are in the
Panama City area, which I suspect is one of the more expensive areas of the country because
it's a major metropolitan area. Still, it's cheaper to live here than it was when
we lived in Washington D.C. (and much safer too). My Spanish isn't very good; I'm still
learning. But, most of the time it's not a problem, because a lot of people here do speak
some English. We have encountered several people who only speak Spanish,
but we do OK because we can speak enough key phrases to get by (plus we carry a small
English-Spanish dictionary with us at all times, which can come in quite handy).The biggest
problem we ever had was when we called a large company and immediately got an
automated system (press 1 for this, press 2 for that, etc.) and they did not have any
options to get the message in English or a button to push to get an operator
right away. (We solved the problem by going directly to their office and doing business
face-to-face with a Panamanian employee of theirs who spoke English.)

I highly recommend Panama; it's a great place to live. We've been praising it so much that
now a friend of ours wants to move here too.
He's already gotten himself a plane ticket to come visit us for a week so he can see
everything for himself. We did the same thing before we committed to the move; we took a
2 week vacation here and quickly fell in love with the place. That's the smartest way to do it,
IMHO. Do lots of research on the net and all that of course (we did that too), but then come
to Panama and see the place for yourself to make sure it's right for you. At the very least you
will have a wonderful vacation.
JOE_PANAMA is offline   Reply With Quote