Thanks to you I made the plunge

Reelax

Dryer sheet wannabe
Hello my friends,
I searched the internet months ago looking for that right blend of advise, encouragement, and common interest. I found it on this forum. I retired 7 months ago at 58 and love my life and smile every day. I believe the people here made it possible. Even though your all strangers, I feel I know you.
The websites and articles I came across in my early days of gathering information before retirement were very discouraging. The amount of money I would need to survive seemed out of reach. But here, I shifted through the posts and found people within my own financial situation and listened to their stories and advise, giving me the knowledge and strength to go for it.
I'm married. We live in Florida. We own our home and have no debt. My only child is through college and living in Orlando. We live on 40k a year, less than 50% of our prior working income. We purchased two fixed income annuities for steady income from a portion of my pension rollover and also have savings in CD's and IRA. My wife and I work 1 day a week to keep social contacts and to have some extra cash. So far, we haven't dipped into IRA or savings. I plan on SS when I hit 62. The IRA is for inflation adjustment and any emergency needs. I took the old school 3 tier approach; annuity fixed income, SS, private savings. I review my the numbers once a month and so far they are working fine. We are not millionairs but live comfortably.
I love the discussions from both rich and modest income people. A good blend. I took advise from both.
Here's to a long a fruitful life.
Reelax in Florida.

Welcome to the forum! There is a diverse group of people and incomes here, but all share the values of financial responsibility and living within one's means.

That's great, we're happy for you. This is a great resource to be sure...

Back
Top Bottom