Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

The Day is Finally Here
Old 05-01-2007, 01:45 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

The Day is Finally Here

It is done. As of today, I am officially unemployed. I have been on vacation time for the last two months but today is my first official day of retirement. Most of you know how wonderful that feels. I celebrated by going Bass fishing this morning and the Bass must have heard I retired because they cooperated nicely. Thanks to you guys on this forum for getting me to seriously think about ER two years ago. I have used the knowlege gained from this forum to put my house in order so to speak.

Thanks again,

Peakanese
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: The Day is Finally Here
Old 05-01-2007, 02:35 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Well congratulations! Besides the fishing, how are you going to spend your days?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 03:25 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by peakanese
It is done. As of today, I am officially unemployed.
Congratulations, Peak!!!

It sure feels great, doesn't it!? Tomorrow marks 4 weeks for me.....and I sure don't miss a thing about it!!! I've got my tackle box and pole ready to go....as soon as the flooding river goes back down! I'm ready to go drown some night-crawlers!!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 05:22 PM   #4

So..........a fellow bass fisherman huh And one that's lucky enough to be retired & able to fish whenever you want to! If you don't mind, what part of the country are you in? Here in Louisiana, I have so many choices of where to fish, sometimes I can't make up my mind. Lakes, rivers, bayous in both NW Louisiana & east Texas, all within minutes of my house. Too bad I'm still 5 years from pulling the retirement handle. :P

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 05:37 PM   #5

Hey!.. I just went & checked your profile & it says your in rural SC. I just got back from visiting my family in NC a couple of days ago...small world huh? Man, there's some REAL rural places in SC that I've been to, my hometown is just about 10 miles from the SC/NC state line. You know where Rockingham NC is?

Old 05-01-2007, 06:47 PM   #6

Congrats Peak... I'm right behind ya.... end of June..... 60 days and a wake up.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:05 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats! I'm just starting my 5th month, and I feel reborn. Welcome to the club!
Old 05-02-2007, 09:56 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hope you will get to enjoy all that our wonderful state has to offer in your retirement--but hey, don't catch all the fish before the rest of us get to quit work!

Sarah

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 01:43 PM   #9
Confused about dryer sheets

Thanks everyone for the kind words.
Sarah - I see you are from Charleston. Our DD, DS-I-L, and grandson live there. We visit quite often as can be expected.
Martyb - I fish in the very fine lakes we have in central SC. I also take an annual trip to FL to catch some of those bruisers. I went today also and caught some more. I think I'll go tomorrow. Boy I'm beginning to like this retirement thing.
Martha - I build furniture as one hobby. We have a Pickin 'n Grinnin session in my shop every two weeks. My wife and I are heavy into gospel and bluegrass. She plays the guitar, mandoline and bass. I play those plus I am learning the banjo (an evil instrument).
Old 05-02-2007, 02:34 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Awesome fishing up there! My DH just took our wonderful old Airstream up the the Santee State Park for a boy's weekend but they caught no fish! He didn't seem to mind too much, though.

Congrats on working on the banjo--I love music but have no talent myself. We go every year to a great music festival (way smaller than Merlefest) up in Virginia every summer--so nice to get up to the mountains where it is cooler. Check it out, lots of musical styles but plenty of bluegrass and a lot of amatuer folks hanging out at the pickin' parlor. www.floydfest.com

My family is all midstate, Clarendon County, all my cousins still live up that way. We shouldn't tell these folks how wonderful all our outdoor activities are here in SC--nope, we need to talk up the Ebola, like the Texans do. We don't have scorpions, but we do have a few water mocs!

Sarah

Old 05-02-2007, 04:20 PM   #11

Don't forget the fire ants, alligators (in some areas) and of course the man-eating shark infestation along the Grand Strand! I sure was sorry to hear the old Myrtle Beach Pavilion was done away with...I spent a great deal of my teenage days down there & the Pavilion was a true landmark. I hope to get to fish the Santee Lakes one of these days, but for now I'm 1 hour from Toledo Bend & 2 hours from Lake Fork, TX so I guess I'll get by somehow!

Old 05-03-2007, 08:30 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Marty,
We took a nostalgic trip up there last summer to ride the rides and eat at Peaches Corner (which is still there) one last time. Stayed at the beachfront Diplomat Motel and had a blast playing in the arcades, driving the strip, and going to the water park. They plan to put some condos where the Pavillion used to be.

Yeah, alligators, fire ants, gnats, jellyfish, humidity! All that and more await you in SC! But come back for the fishing!

SC

Old 05-03-2007, 06:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC

Yeah, alligators, fire ants, gnats, jellyfish, humidity! All that and more await you in SC! But come back for the fishing!

Old 05-04-2007, 08:54 PM   #14

Way to go peak! You can fish all you want now that you've spit the hook!!