Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-01-2014, 06:31 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zolitoo View Post
2. Programming (very good to go this way and distribute iOS pr android apps, it is a very long trip to master a programming language, but you may make too much money).
If you are seriously interested in this, one good approach is to make use of some
domain knowledge you have that most app developers don't have.

I don't really know what kind of work you do or what things you know, but if you can do one of the following you might really have something of value:

- develop apps that make your current work easier. Other people doing the same work might well pay well for this.

- use some insight you have into a particular problem and develop an app that addresses that problem

- identify something new that that's coming along (even if it's common knowledge to your peers, it may not be common knowledge to the general population yet) and develop an app that deals with that

Basically, use your experience and expertise to come up with something novel and useful and you should do well.

(And some personal advice, go for iOS initially. It's much easier to develop for iOS than Android when you're small - far fewer target devices and more customers that are will to actually for good money for apps. Oh, and don't quit your day job until you are actually making money at this...).

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2014, 10:51 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

We've been self-employed in the graphic design & consulting industry for the past two decades plus, and couldn't imagine doing a 9-5 job or having anyone boss us around. It's not for everyone though, but you do learn to get over the fear of where the next check is coming from once you build up your business. The best thing I read starting out is that there is more security in being self-employed - because you don't have all your eggs in one basket (one company), and you can find a new client easier than finding a new employer. My rule was to make sure one client didn't become more than 40% of my income, so that our income didn't crater if that client took the work in-house. And we were careful to take care of the regular bread-and-butter clients whose work may not have been very exciting, but it paid the bills while you waited for a more interesting job to come along.

I agree with looking for a new niche market, but one that is related to your expertise. Since you already have skills in civil engineering, see how many ways you can take your knowledge and repackage it, perhaps using some new technology that everyone is afraid of or doesn't understand. Maybe there is some natural hookup with 3D printing?

I would recommend basing your business on finding companies with deep pockets - not consumers. You need a lot of Regular Joes to make a living!

You might look at what the folks at Solar Roadways are doing - if that takes off (and they got the funding), there could be a whole lot of interesting angles for small companies, starting with driveways and parking lots, etc.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/solar-roadways

Some of these kickstarter ideas are exciting to me. I bought a 3D pen on kickstarter that raised ten times what they needed in a few hours - fastest ever project I hear. They wanted 30,000 sterling to get going, and raised over 700,000 sterling!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...n-in-the-world

Old 06-02-2014, 11:38 AM   #23
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
If you are seriously interested in this, one good approach is to make use of some

domain knowledge you have that most app developers don't have.

I don't really know what kind of work you do or what things you know, but if you can do one of the following you might really have something of value:

- develop apps that make your current work easier. Other people doing the same work might well pay well for this.

- use some insight you have into a particular problem and develop an app that addresses that problem

- identify something new that that's coming along (even if it's common knowledge to your peers, it may not be common knowledge to the general population yet) and develop an app that deals with that

Basically, use your experience and expertise to come up with something novel and useful and you should do well.

(And some personal advice, go for iOS initially. It's much easier to develop for iOS than Android when you're small - far fewer target devices and more customers that are will to actually for good money for apps. Oh, and don't quit your day job until you are actually making money at this...).

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Can you please advice me whether i can download the iOS sdk programming app on iPad or not, what i knew that it can only be run on a Macintosh laptop, is there any other way?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-05-2014, 04:30 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

I work with lots of civil engineers and I have to ask. What does a civil engineer do when employed for a realty company? Why not work for an engineering consultant that a realtor would hire?
Old 06-13-2014, 12:36 PM   #25
Confused about dryer sheets

I've been self-employed for since 2004. I started my first business and we had our first and only child in the same month. (Not recommended BTW!)

After all the ups and downs, the stress, one Chap 13, and quite a bit of freedom later we're finally seeing the light and it's getting brighter. I would say had I not been building a business that has a massive residual income component I would have likely hung it up long ago.

I would highly suggest trying to find an opportunity that offers some sort of residual income, or at the very least something you can break away from from time to time and is semi-automated. Not talking 4-hour work week, the only people living that lifestyle are people who write books on the 4-hour work week.

Anything that requires you trading life hours for dollars that you cannot get still get paid from if you take time off is simply just a job. And if you're trying to do this "job" and support yourself, the stress can be maddening.

That being said the success of any small business comes down to two things always: Planning and Execution.

Best wishes, the freedom alone is worth the effort. Just have an exemplary plan.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:21 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Start your company

To OP:

File the paperwork to have a company/tax ID, that is the first step. Get it done now.

Go find a client in your current line of business, charge them a rate double your current pay. Don't think about this, don't negotiate, just go do it.

You'll find that having an absolute moron for a customer instead of a boss is both highly tolerable and highly profitable. If you listen to their drivel and still deliver a successful project, they will beat down your door to pay you more.

Next, become a tax genious, and start avoiding income taxes by leveraging your business.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:06 PM   #27
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zolitoo View Post
Thanks a lot for your reply.

Can you please advice me whether i can download the iOS sdk programming app on iPad or not, what i knew that it can only be run on a Macintosh laptop, is there any other way?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You are correct in that the SDK can only be run on a Macintosh operating system. However, you can build a "Hackintosh" if you have a PC laying around. More info here... The Always Up-to-Date Guide to Building a Hackintosh (OS X 10.9.2). A refurbished Mac Mini from the online Apple Store will also work great and provide you with a warranty and software upgrade paths for a relatively low cost.

Also, in order to get the most out of the SDK, a working knowledge of Javascript will help greatly. Check out lynda.com for tutorials if you are unfamiliar with Javascript.