Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-01-2016, 01:57 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I worked in a corporate job where I was on call for decades of my 35 year career.

I got to the point where I was afraid to LOOK at the phone, afraid that would make it ring.

The on-call component was the WORST part of that job...and the sooner YOU can get away from that demand, the whole lot better you will feel.

I was a supervisor too. That meant not only was I on call, but I could call people out. I knew as I was dialing they HATED to see my name on their caller ID, which really makes you feel good......and their voices as they answered, realizing they'd have to come in to work, many times in REALLY inclement weather, well...it s*cked.

Retire. You'll love it!!!!
Lcountz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2016, 03:56 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't even know if PT would be something that my Megacorp would accept. I think it was just an emotional crutch for me to not go cold turkey. I've gotten over that now. Last September I was at the Grand Canyon, about to start down the South Kaibob trail, and a crisis developed at work. That took 2-3 hours out of my hike, and added anxiety to my vacation. The sooner that possibility is off the table, the better.
Old 08-01-2016, 04:06 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

2nd update. I gave 8 months notice today. It gives them time to figure out how to cover my workload before the next budget cycle starts. I was thanked for the time. My expertise is unusual and it is really hard to find experience in it, so a new person may need to be trained. Also, I have some people that I work with closely that are friends and I would not want my departure to make their job harder. I told a few close people my news. It will be interesting to see how long it takes for it to get out on the grapevine.
Old 08-01-2016, 04:16 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcountz View Post
I worked in a corporate job where I was on call for decades of my 35 year career.

I got to the point where I was afraid to LOOK at the phone, afraid that would make it ring.

The on-call component was the WORST part of that job...and the sooner YOU can get away from that demand, the whole lot better you will feel.

I was a supervisor too. That meant not only was I on call, but I could call people out. I knew as I was dialing they HATED to see my name on their caller ID, which really makes you feel good......and their voices as they answered, realizing they'd have to come in to work, many times in REALLY inclement weather, well...it s*cked.

Retire. You'll love it!!!!
Wow, that is exactly what I could state about my carrier. More over once on a night emergency call in (I think it was 3rd call during that eve/night) I injured myself badly and 7.5 hours surgery followed. With 24/7 plant operation, company "did not have enough funds" to hire technicians for weekend coverage and had only one tech for weekdays night shift to cover 3 manufacturing buildings.
VFK57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 04:41 PM   #25

Congrats, DrRoy! Glad that the stress of wondering how everyone would react is over. Now you can start crossing days off the calendar!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:05 PM   #26

Congrats!!
Katiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:04 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
I also have a very firm intention of seeing if I could go to a 3 day work week with 6 months to go. It would give me time to build up activities for RE.
I've actually been doing that myself for the last year and a half. Only reason I'm staying for now is that I enjoy it (sort of like a well paid hobby) plus my spouse is also still working part time for the same reason. Probably quit for good within a year or two, though.
madsquopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 05:32 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

P

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 12:53 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
2nd update. I gave 8 months notice today. It gives them time to figure out how to cover my workload before the next budget cycle starts. I was thanked for the time. My expertise is unusual and it is really hard to find experience in it, so a new person may need to be trained. Also, I have some people that I work with closely that are friends and I would not want my departure to make their job harder. I told a few close people my news. It will be interesting to see how long it takes for it to get out on the grapevine.

Nice...congratulations on pulling the plug. I'm struggling with one more year syndrome at the moment.
tdv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 01:06 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats

IMO once you have $n+1 where n is the amount you need to retire comfortably there is no need to work any more. That said with children you might want to leave them a bigger nest egg. I have a friend who is an exec at a company and he has WAY more money than he will likely need. But he likes what he does and they keep throwing stupid amounts of money and stock at him so it's hard for him to walk away. It is easy for me to say that I wouldn't take it but then again no one has ever offered me a million dollars to work 1 year :P
Old 08-04-2016, 02:46 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
Congrats, DrRoy! Glad that the stress of wondering how everyone would react is over. Now you can start crossing days off the calendar!
I've been counting the months since April. One thing my manager asked is would I continue running the training classes that I do. I said I'll think about it.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:12 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I've been counting the months since April. One thing my manager asked is would I continue running the training classes that I do. I said I'll think about it.
Congrats glad thing went so well, as you must know they dont always, could have been perp walked out of building.
highlow65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 01:09 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Well, it's getting right down to the wire. This YTD has been rougher than most years, as I have had less control than usual over my travel schedule. The first 5 days of January, I logged working 72 hours out of state as part of a launch team for a new customer. Over the last 2 months, I have been part of a daily coverage team at a different, troublesome new customer. I didn't know it last summer, but I picked a great time to exit. There will be no part timing as I was considering earlier, not even the training class. That last one was their choice but that's fine.

Today was my last account turnover visit. I have been feeling the weight lifting off my shoulders all day. It is taking pieces of 4 different people to replace me adding up to about 1.5 heads. Tomorrow I will drive to have lunch with a couple customer friends, take them to a concert in the evening, and return home Thursday (all on Megacorp, of course). That will effectively be the end. There will then be some days of accrued vacation, and I will go into the office one more time to turn in the laptop and CC. RE, here I come!!
Old 03-28-2017, 01:13 PM   #34
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Well, it's getting right down to the wire. This YTD has been rougher than most years, as I have had less control than usual over my travel schedule. The first 5 days of January, I logged working 72 hours out of state as part of a launch team for a new customer. Over the last 2 months, I have been part of a daily coverage team at a different, troublesome new customer. I didn't know it last summer, but I picked a great time to exit. There will be no part timing as I was considering earlier, not even the training class. That last one was their choice but that's fine.

Today was my last account turnover visit. I have been feeling the weight lifting off my shoulders all day. It is taking pieces of 4 different people to replace me adding up to about 1.5 heads. Tomorrow I will drive to have lunch with a couple customer friends, take them to a concert in the evening, and return home Thursday (all on Megacorp, of course). That will effectively be the end. There will then be some days of accrued vacation, and I will go into the office one more time to turn in the laptop and CC. RE, here I come!!

Sounds exciting! Keep enjoying the ride - almost there
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 03:29 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Well, you did it any way I think you did it Lol

I remember my last day and it was one of the hardest things I every had to do. Same place for 35 years and walk away was tough. That was 11 month's ago and I haven't looked back and haven't been back there either.

I wish you the best and retirement will be what you make it to be.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:54 PM   #36

How exciting to see your goals realized! Congrats
Katiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 12:29 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats!
Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 04:42 AM   #38
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congrats