Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

this is where i am....just turned 42
Old 08-20-2014, 07:51 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

this is where i am....just turned 42

Hi all from London, England.

just an update on where i currently stand as i just turned 42 last week.

currently in a job where i earn basic salary of 167,000 USD per year. Taxes here are high so i take home about 60% of that. My bonuses used to be good but our market not so good so im probably looking at about 60-100,000 bonus this year. Last few years was a big fat 0.

I have 870,000 USD invested in stocks with a top wealth manager here and 250,000 usd in retirement account.

Married with 2 kids 3 and 1. DW does not work. We spend all my salary on living, schools etc.

We own a holiday property worth about 2.2m USD with no loan and our primary residence here in London is worth 1.4 usd with a mortgage of 225,000 remaining.

i know we are doing ok but i also know we have a lot of life (hopefully) left in us and also have very young children.

I would love to resign my high stress job and move somewhere warm and tropical but i also know its just a dream.

anyway any comments thoughts appreciated. Im not looking for "an answer" just for some comments if anyone feels like doing so.

thanks
ratraceout is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2014, 08:44 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Run your situation through Quicken Lifetime Planner. You may be able to do it if you get a handle on your expenses and liquidate one of your properties.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:58 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm 42 and basically retired. I have a bit less money than you and enjoy a very comfortable lifestyle. You're in a very expensive area. Indeed, selling your properties and moving to a warmer climate, and you could retire. I don't know tax wise what you'd be hit with when a) selling your properties b) moving the money abroad?

Is there an option to rent that London residence? You could keep the investment and make some income.
jetpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:05 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

$4mil in assets at age 42 on a $160k salary? Either your taxes are not very high after all, you are a whiz at investments, or you inherited.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:34 PM   #5

Are you tied to staying in England? (Or is your wife tied to that idea?)

I'll admit I have no idea what the British tax laws are for expat Britains. But someplace "sunny" sounds like you'd be interested in moving away.

I'm 10 years older than you, and my kids are a decade older than yours. I retired with a bigger investment nest egg - but not by orders of magnitude. Having a paid for home as well as a stream of rental income made the difference for me. Also, my kids go to public schools - which saves a lot.

You have a lot of your net worth tied up in non-income producing real estate. How tied are you to the vacation home? Or would you retire to that home, and sell the London property?

I wish you luck and success on your path to early retirement.
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
$4mil in assets at age 42 on a $160k salary? Either your taxes are not very high after all, you are a whiz at investments, or you inherited.
He mentioned bonuses and implied they were significant in past years. Perhaps he's an investment banker where the bonuses used to be pretty large.
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:15 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

You can certainly retire and move someplace warm and tropical if you sell your 2 properties. It comes down to what you pay for the move and what sort of income you need. A LOT of people could make it work in your scenario. I know I could.
treeofpain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:29 PM   #8
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
+1

I am not here to be nice polite guy........

I will tell you I am shocked that you have very small investments while you own real estate like a king of England. Also you make no money to own 2.2 million dollar holiday property. Makes no sense to me.
eta2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:37 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I was going to post a response to Fermoin's post and thought better of it but will now - what does it matter how the OP ended up in the situation he is in?

Other than envy, I don't see a point.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:44 PM   #10
gone traveling

It just looks like OPs situation is unreal. I mean you can not support 3 million dollars of real estate on this small salary. It simply does not add up unless he just inherited 2 properties from dead Uncle
Old 08-20-2014, 06:47 PM   #11
gone traveling

Hold down I meant 3.6 million dollars of real estate That simply is nonsense.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:58 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I was going to post a response to Fermoin's post and thought better of it but will now - what does it matter how the OP ended up in the situation he is in?

Other than envy, I don't see a point.
It matters a lot if you want to give someone advice about retirement. If they did inherit, are they expecting more? If they did it all by risky investments, do they plan to tone that down during retirement? If they just managed to live on cat food for 20 years and saved every penny, then do they really need more than 4 million in assets (ie, retire now!)
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:06 PM   #13
gone traveling

You know I knew people who had small houses and immense sums of investments but I never knew someone who had no investments but lived in two mansions.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:14 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

If you read some of his earlier posts from 2011 he talks about selling a business, making lots of money in sales, home in the Caribbean etc.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
fidler4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:20 PM   #15
gone traveling

OK I may be wrong. I don't see in his post that he own business worth few million dollars........I think at 5 plus million dollar business that would make sense and he certainly would be in good shape to retire.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:44 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

If you cut your expenses you could retire tomorrow. If my math is right your net worth is $4.5M.

If you live to be 102, another 60 years, sold up the houses, rented and never worked again, you would have $75K USD a year to withdraw at even a zero real return after inflation, plus any UK or US pensions. Interest, dividends, capital gains or income from part-time or seasonal work you enjoyed would all be gravy. You don't have to actually rent, but as others pointed out you have a lot of money tied up in real estate right now that is probably very expensive to maintain. Getting rid of even at least one house cuts your expenses and by investing the proceeds increases your passive income.

If you quit your job you could move some place warm, tropical, with good public schools and a lot less expensive than London. It isn't really a dream. You would just need to plan it out and decide if you could be happy on a scaled down lifestyle, like not owning a $2.2M vacation home.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
replies to messages
Old 08-21-2014, 02:30 AM   #17
Dryer sheet wannabe

replies to messages

firstly thank you to everyone for your input. much appreciated.

i will try and answer everyone on this post -

pb4uski - thanks for your advice i will try the quicken lifetime planner.

Jetpack - thanks yours. indeed selling the holiday home and renting London is one option we are seriously considering. the values of the homes are after tax so nett to me. no problem moving the monies abroad.

Fermion - I sold a business for around 3 million usd nett to me in 2008. also from 2002 - 2009 my bonuses were in the 200-400 range. i saved all my bonuses always. both properties were bought at about half of what they are worth now. both have doubled in value since i have held them. hope this adds to above explanation as to how im in the situation.

Rodi - thanks advice. the vacation home is rented out for a considerable part of the year. obvioulsy the vacation home would go and we would probably rent the london house for some income. I would also not retire as in put my feet up copletely but would do something part time as would the DW which is not a 8am to 8/9/10pm.

Tree of pain - thanks for your input. i know that its possible and i also know we can cut expenses by not living in one of the most expensive cities in the world

eta 2020 - i believe in real estate. I bought at lows in the market in both places and have doubled my investment on both in 10 and 5 years respectively. stocks are great until one morning some crazy bombs another crazy or invesment bankers decide its time to dump the market. i have been burned so i prefer to have a tangible asset. There is no nonsense in my post. the holiday home pays for itself and my house here is not grand (its a 2 bedroom flat - real estate prices in London are nuts - which is not my fault

also do you really call 1m$ usd invested in the markets as considered no invesments?

i didnt inherit a dime for the record.

daylatedollarshort - thanks for your assesment. the rental place was always bought as an investment. it was a steal and i had to buy it. someone overstretched and had to sell and i was in the position to buy it for cash. The properties maintain themselves through rental and as i said the flat in London is a 2 bed.

Fidler 4 - thanks for relating to my previous posts

sorry if i missed anyone and thanks again for all the input.
ratraceout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:00 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

As for your warm tropical living - you should apply for an Australian visa - at your age and hopefully education background you tick enough boxes
LastOfTheBoomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:18 AM   #19
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratraceout View Post
eta 2020 - i believe in real estate. I bought at lows in the market in both places and have doubled my investment on both in 10 and 5 years respectively. stocks are great until one morning some crazy bombs another crazy or invesment bankers decide its time to dump the market. i have been burned so i prefer to have a tangible asset. There is no nonsense in my post. the holiday home pays for itself and my house here is not grand (its a 2 bedroom flat - real estate prices in London are nuts - which is not my fault
Well if convert 3.6 million dollars in Real Estate to something that generates income (could be event renting) then you can call it quits soon.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:52 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm not getting a feeling for where your wife is at with respect to a scaled down lifestyle (if indeed you need to scale down). Is she going to be upset if you say, "Sorry Debbie, no Mercedes this year. We have to set an example."*? Or will she say, "Yes, let's do whatever it takes, I miss having you around and the girls would love to grow up with their dad actually being there." The difference between those two attitudes can make or break ER.

I'd cash out the properties and get out of your high COL area. Or, if you could find a good property management company, you could rent them out for income even if you're thousands of miles away. The passive income from those alone may be enough to support you, depending on your expenses.

*Guess the movie and you get a warm fuzzy for the day.
Maenad is offline   Reply With Quote