Join Early Retirement Today

Too funny
Old 08-07-2006, 02:50 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Too funny

I'm a member of another forum and they have a finance and investing section that doesn't get a lot of activity. Today someone asked if they got a "good deal" on a lease for a new Mercedes at $950 a month. I just found it pretty amusing

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...0&fpart=1&vc=1

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Too funny
Old 08-07-2006, 03:03 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Man...my company firewall blocked the h$ll out of link you attached. I'll probably make someone's bad list

Old 08-07-2006, 03:07 PM   #3

wow. Over $1000 per month to borrow a car for 3 years?

The poster on the other site must be "accidentally" (on purpose) bragging, not seriously trying to figure out if he really got a good deal!

Old 08-07-2006, 03:45 PM   #4

The site in question is a poker discussion site.* A lot of young poker players get on a good run and start thinking that $100,000/year winnings are normal and will continue forever.* Very few of them survive when their luck evens out.* Usually this is because they've spent all the money they won on stuff like $1000/month cars.*

Note-- I have played poker recreationally for 7-8 years.* I am a small winner over that time period (about $2-$3/hr).* There are people making $100,000/year playing poker (or more).* You have to be an astoundingly good player to do so though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
wow.* Over $1000 per month to borrow a car for 3 years?*

The poster on the other site must be "accidentally" (on purpose) bragging, not seriously trying to figure out if he really got a good deal!

Old 08-07-2006, 11:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet
. . .There are people making $100,000/year playing poker (or more).* You have to be an astoundingly good player to do so though.
Or really bad at computing your cash flow
Old 08-08-2006, 09:11 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wow...it is interesting in hearing how the $ silly think - they don't understand the true power/freedom that money can provide - just get a ride the girls will like. - Rent a limo for the girl once a month and save the other $600! I wonder where this guy will be in 10 years.....
Old 08-08-2006, 09:27 AM   #7

Hell, if all you care about is snagging women with that BMW, just think of how many hookers you could get for $37,000 And you wouldn't have to worry about increased car insurance, either.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:27 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If he's asking strangers if he got a good deal, what are the chances he actually DID get one

That guy needs to read his lease paperwork.........it's all "in there"...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 09:29 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzo
Wow...it is interesting in hearing how the $ silly think - they don't understand the true power/freedom that money can provide - just get a ride the girls will like. -* Rent a limo for the girl once a month and save the other $600!* I wonder where this guy will be in 10 years.....
You see a lot of this silliness on the luxury car forums on the Edmonds site. The money spent on after market add ons in addition to the vehicles themselves is sometimes mind boggling. All I could think of was how far these folks are on the opposite side of the spectrum from the majority of posters on this Board.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:37 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969
Hell, if all you care about is snagging women with that BMW, just think of how many hookers you could get for $37,000* * And you wouldn't have to worry about increased car insurance, either.
Medical insurance, on the other hand...
Old 08-08-2006, 10:26 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Life is not without risk.

heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh
Old 08-08-2006, 11:18 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Maybe he could split the diff, and get some "Hooker" headers... :

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 12:07 PM   #13

Last night I caught a few minutes of a new-gadgets show on HGTV. They featured tricked-out car wheels with flashing kaleidoscopic patterns and such. Gonna cause some accidents I expect, but wowee zowee!
Old 08-10-2006, 07:27 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Ack got sent to a poker site at work !!
Funny that they let me on the first page and then I got the standard website blocked msg.
I cant believe they got 7 pages of responses to that post.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:53 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

$950/month for a car lease? Heck, I feel guilty for paying $300 on a car purchase. To me, a car is a means to an end. Buying a car like that seems more about getting attention. Personally, I don't need other people to validate my life by telling me how sexy my car is