Too late for a friend

mark500

Recycles dryer sheets
Just found out that a friend I knew 20 years ago is dying of cancer, at age 50.

I knew a doctor who retired at age 65, and developed a terminal cancer a few months after retirement.

Should this push me more towards ER, since I can?

We buried my FIL today, after he lost his 18-month "battle" with cancer.

Up till about a year ago, he rode his bicycle 10 miles (on a Sunday), volunteered at a hosipital, and went dancing with his girlfriend, weekly.

He also bought a new car four years ago (it's stored at my house until the estate is settled).
By the way - he bought this "new car" when he was 84!

He lost his battle this past Wednesday, at the age of 88.....

Not to dwell on it, but you don't know when "the end is near" - only that it is there for all of us.

It's more important that you fulfill your life to the extent possible, with living.  Don't try to ER to "cheat death".  If you will, try to get to ER to allow you to live life to the fullest.  As you say that you can, only you can answer/make that decision, and for the reason that you feel deep inside.

We can all give our suggestions my friend, but remember in the end - it is your life to lead, and your decision to make...

- Ron

rs0460a said:
Don't try to ER to "cheat death". If you will, try to get to ER to allow you to live life to the fullest.

- Ron

Very nice Ron.

Another reminder to live life to the fullest now, whether you are retired or not.

I am going hiking with my sister this afternoon on what would have been her daughter's 18th birthday. Her daughter drowned last summer. Yesterday family got together and told our favorite stories about her daughter. Frankly, the job my sister enjoys and good caring coworkers have helped her through the past months immeasurably.

Martha said:
good caring coworkers have helped her through the past months immeasurably.

You come into this life alone; you leave this life alone.  In-between, you meet other "souls" (family, friends) that make that "dash" on your headstone "worth it"...

- Ron

mark500 said:
Just found out that a friend I knew 20 years ago is dying of cancer, at age 50.

I knew a doctor who retired at age 65, and developed a terminal cancer a few months after retirement.

Should this push me more towards ER, since I can?

If working is making you miserable or keeping you from stuff you'd like to do, what are you waiting for?

If on the other hand - I just got off the phone with a Friend of mine that makes around $300K a year as a lawyer - runs his own law practice. Takes about 3-4 months of vacation a year. Really likes his work. He says he does not want to retire. He just turned 65 and started collecting Social Security - $2,000 a month! - I told him why didn't wait until age 70 and get even more. He told me he might be dead by then.

Back
Top Bottom