Join Early Retirement Today

Trapped in OMY land
Old 01-02-2016, 02:11 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Trapped in OMY land

Hello all.

I'm one of those notorious lurkers, decided to come in from the cold. I'm an avid reader/watcher/listener of all things personal finance. I just finished year one of OMY syndrome, gearing up to start year two of OMY.

I attribute my interest in personal finance to the following:

1) I started work at 14. Not long into my first day, I decided I wanted to be an early retiree. The work itself was actually quite enjoyable to my 14 year old self (mom and pop grocery store). The problem, as I'm sure many of you can relate to, was coworkers and management.

2) Back around 1980'ish, there was one TV in our house. Mom and Dad controlled the dial, so we kids watched what Mom and Dad watched. One show they watched was "Wall Street Week with Louis Rukeyser". They didn't watch for financial reasons, they had government / megacorp pensions and benefits, and could literally not save a dime, and still have a middle to upper middle class lifestyle until the end. They watched for the witty comments of the host. I, on the other hand, watched with rapt attention, thinking "Tell me more of this thing you call financial independence". The downsizing / benefit cutting mania was starting to really get going then, so I knew my ride to retirement would not be nearly as smooth.

3) In my early 20's, I picked up a magazine called "Changing Times" at the news stand. Anybody remember "Changing Times"? Somewhere along the way, the name was changed to "Kiplinger's Personal Finance". I don't remember now why I picked up the magazine, probably some headline such as "How to retire before you die". I became a subscriber, and that magazine has helped keep me on the path to the promised land.

4) Sometime in my 20's, I stumbled across a book (probably saw it in aforementioned magazine) called "Your Money or Your Life" by Joe Dominguez and Vicki Robin. The ideas in that book exploded like a super nova in my brain (hey, I was 20 something, I was still quite impressionable).
The book is somewhat dated now, but I would still recommend it to any current 20 somethings just starting out. I found it to be life changing.

Well, I've rambled on too long here, sorry for the long post. I thought I might fit in at this community. I sure don't fit in with my "shop til you drop" coworkers...
Scarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2016, 03:36 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

welcome aboard. I was in OMY mode for 4 years and found this forum about 3 years ago or so. I was scared to death about jumping off and finally was pushed (laid off) Oct.13th of last year. You will get a lot of info here.
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 03:55 PM   #3

Welcome Scarecrow.

Sounds like you've entered two-more-year mode... I hope you find a cure before it turns into three-more-year mode.

Nice intro.
Old 01-02-2016, 04:49 PM   #4
Confused about dryer sheets

Scarecrow------------

I remember Wall Street Week fondly! I was in grad school with no money to invest but my wife and I would never miss it. We saw it on public TV in Pittsburgh every Friday night-----great show. I think it came on right after the McClaughlin report but that was the late 1970's so my memory may be foggy.

It is easy to get trapped in OMY land----I think it happens to most of us. I was stuck in it long after I had achieved a pretty good measure of financial independence. Its just hard to give up making a living and walking away from doing what you've done most of your life. What finally did it for me was the realization I wasn't getting any younger, constant reminders to myself that I no longer needed the money and complete, abject boredom with my career.

I finally pulled the trigger last Spring.

I would urge you to think a lot about what you want to do in the next stage of your life. For me (and others on this board) finding purpose, structure and motivation to achieve something more than lowering my golf score, have been the biggest challenge of retirement.

Good Luck.

TracyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 05:53 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Unless I missed it, you did not say your age. OMY+ at 40 is not that big of a deal. OMY+ at 62+, is starting to eat into your remaining years.

People get the idea that they are invincible. Another year will not hurt, etc. Unfortunately, your health is great for many years, then all of a sudden you decline at an exponential pace.

Keep things realistic.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 11:55 AM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

Senator: I am closing in on 56. My plan for decades was 55, primarily because:

a. Modest pension vests at 55.

b. Retiree health care is available starting at 55. This used to be a huge deal to me, but with ACA, not as much of an issue now. Plus, mgmt has been pecking away at our retiree health care.

c. In my earlier years, I could not stomach the thought of working at my job past 55.

d. My plans for retirement require a decent level of physical capability. The "work until you're 70 (or more)" plan was always a non-starter for me.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:06 PM   #7
Dryer sheet aficionado

TracyJ: Yes, the McClaughlin show was also on back then. I remember that. He's still at it, after all these years. Rukeyser died way too young, early 60's if I remember correctly.
Old 01-03-2016, 01:58 PM   #8

Quote:
4) Sometime in my 20's, I stumbled across a book (probably saw it in aforementioned magazine) called "Your Money or Your Life" by Joe Dominguez and Vicki Robin. The ideas in that book exploded like a super nova in my brain (hey, I was 20 something, I was still quite impressionable).
The book is somewhat dated now, but I would still recommend it to any current 20 somethings just starting out. I found it to be life changing.

Well, I've rambled on too long here, sorry for the long post. I thought I might fit in at this community. I sure don't fit in with my "shop til you drop" coworkers...

I loved that book. Unfortunately, it was my life.
meleana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 04:03 PM   #9

Scarecrow, welcome to the forum. At least you seem to use your brain and not needing one like the Wizard of Oz scarecrow. OK back to serious, have you figured out your budget needs for retirement and what your level of current assets are to support that? If so you are financially independent and you can retire if you want to. You never really say why you are still working, now past OMY into TMY. Your choice, but it seems with your strong interest in personal finance and desire to retire when younger, that now you are not following those plans? People keep working for many reasons, it does not have to be bad.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Trapped in OMY land
Old 01-03-2016, 05:35 PM   #10

Trapped in OMY land

Welcome to the forum, I loved all those 3 things you mentioned. My husband and I watched Louis Rukeyser religiously every Friday, I read Money magazine mostly, but did read a lot of Kiplinger's as well. The book Your money or your life was one of my favorites. So was the Die Broke book. You'll fit in with the early retirement thread very well.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-04-2016, 05:05 PM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

38Chevy454: I have run the numbers and am satisfied with them. What is holding me back is really more family than financial. DS is finishing up senior year of college, and has now decided he wants to go to grad school, which he says will be one more year. We (myself, DW, DD) are waiting for him to finish school and get a job, which will most likely be west coast or southwest. Once he gets settled in, we would follow. We have been wanting to move anyway, looking for less winter, more nature than where we are now (midwest). Might as well move somewhat near DS. We don't have to be right on top of him, but within several hours drive would be nice.

I can't start the retirement lifestyle I want until we move, so, in the meantime, I'm thinking, gee, I can rack up another year's pay, 401k match, bonus, health insurance. Which keeps me in OMY.
Old 01-24-2016, 07:37 AM   #12
Dryer sheet aficionado

Hi Scarecrow,
Hope things are coming along. As for me, I am set to retire in about 5 months, and also find myself wondering about OMY ...for one thing the financial aspect and also enjoy the work much of the time but hate it at other times, do not like being tied to it and have not decided if OMY is needed in any way. Still a very very hard thing to decide.
Eileen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:19 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I think I too have caught the OMY virus or at least the AFMM ( a few more months) virus. After counting down for more than 2 years, I find my self rethinking the timing.I was planning on 3/1/16.

Part of it is the economy and stock prices, but part is that having taken another position that is less stressful and much fewer hours per week, why not see how it goes.

Once I hit 55 in a week (an important milestone), I will then be eligible for retiree medical benefits and have access to my 401k when I retire. It is then my choice! If it becomes stressful or the BS bucket finally spills over, I can give my notice any day I want.

I still plan on being in the class of 2016, but for now it is wait and see.
Sasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:55 AM   #14

If you have a halfway decent pension and paid health insurance benefits and you can meet your expenses- and if you have a sizable nest egg that should take you into old age along with your social security when you become eligible- you would be crazy not to quit work- unless you love it.

I should be so lucky! Most of us have no pensions and no paid health insurance and that is what keeps us trudging through- hopefully not until death.
meleana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 11:22 AM   #15

I was a huge fan of Louis Rukeyser and watched Wall Street Week religiously. I liked Marty Zweig a lot too. As for good investment reading and advice, I highly recommend "Your Money and Your Brain" by Jason Zweig.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:18 PM   #16

Wall Street Week

Remember Gail Dudack? She was always bearish, frequently predicting sell-offs. Even a stopped clock is accurate twice a day …
Old 02-13-2016, 09:39 PM   #17
Dryer sheet wannabe

Kid is out of medical school and making his own salary now, wife is heathy ( knock on wood), megacorp not on the rise, 32-34x expenses saved, and still haven't pulled the trigger. Sheesh.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Hangingitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 06:56 AM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I went at 58. It has been a wonderful 4 years. Lots of travel, no worries, much better diet/health.

One of my former colleagues passed away at 67. He did OMY until he was 65. Never did take his family, grandkids on that family cruise he spoke of for the past few years.

Just heard about another colleague, slightly younger than me, who passed away suddenly this week. He was more fortunate...he had been ER'd for the past four years as well.

The way I look at it is not my age but how many healthy years I may have left and what I want to do in those years. In my case OMY was easily excluded from the decision matrix.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 07:06 AM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangingitup View Post
Kid is out of medical school and making his own salary now, wife is heathy ( knock on wood), megacorp not on the rise, 32-34x expenses saved, and still haven't pulled the trigger. Sheesh.
For years on this forum I'd read statements like yours and admonish the poster to face the fact we are all going to die, most of us far sooner than we hope. I gave that up after realizing far too many need a wake up call from their own serious illness or the death of someone close to them before they get it.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:22 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
For years on this forum I'd read statements like yours and admonish the poster to face the fact we are all going to die, most of us far sooner than we hope. I gave that up after realizing far too many need a wake up call from their own serious illness or the death of someone close to them before they get it.
I know this is a good advice, but how much is enough?

In my case, I have 26X. I like to keep 10% for future large purchase, kids' graduate school, and DD's wedding. That reduced to 23X. So, we are still going with me 60, DW 54 1/2 this year.
fh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote