Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-02-2011, 02:47 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks so much for your post Warren!
Hubby and I are close to the same age as you, and we both lost good friends over the last year that were both way too young. We did take one of our dream trips a few months ago, but I feel like we need some motivation to keep trying to live our life to the fullest.
I love the blog, and can't wait to read more!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2011, 04:29 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Good on you! I always ask my self Q: "What is the best that can happen?" A: I might like it. Q: "What is the worst that can happen?" A: Go back to work

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:36 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrentalbot View Post
Today we are both 40 and are currently living our dream lives. I left my 20 year career in the software industry in order to live a simpler life
Wow, it's like looking into a time machine and seeing myself 15+ years ago. DH and I took off for our RTW trip when I was age 40. I never ever regretted that decision, scary as it was at the time for me. And I had 20 years in the software industry before that .... doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo (that's the Twilight Zone theme song) Thanks for posting, and obviously I cheer your decision.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:39 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Skype™ to warrentalbot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelot View Post
Good on you! I always ask my self Q: "What is the best that can happen?" A: I might like it. Q: "What is the worst that can happen?" A: Go back to work
This is our favorite question for how we approach the big decisions - "What is the worst that can happen?". It has been a huge guide to help us do some amazing things in spite of our fears. Life really is short so why not embrace every moment.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:42 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Skype™ to warrentalbot
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofrugalformycat View Post
Wow, it's like looking into a time machine and seeing myself 15+ years ago. DH and I took off for our RTW trip when I was age 40. I never ever regretted that decision, scary as it was at the time for me. And I had 20 years in the software industry before that .... doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo (that's the Twilight Zone theme song) Thanks for posting, and obviously I cheer your decision.
Hi there, it is great to meet our twins! It all sounds eerily similar. What are you doing now 15 years later. We get the benefit of using you guys as our crystal ball

Let us know if you are going to be in Asia in the next year as it would be fun to cross paths and exchange stories in this random world we share.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:16 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Glad to welcome you Warren, and I agree with all posters that you obviously know what you want and went for it, very admirable and, some would say, courageous. I relish in seeing these kinds of stories, would love to see more. Keep having fun!

You are an inspiration to me...DW and I take one "major" vacation (two weeks in a foreign country) every 5 years...not near enough. But we can't get away from w*rk any longer than that.

Wait...yes we can.. ...just make a plan and rehire!!!...which is what we're planning to do in the next 1-2 years. I'm 49, so I'm a bit behind you. And although I do enjoy travel, I'm more of a home hobbyist, so I'll be spending time on my show cars, in the woodshop, at the beer tasting events, and so on.

I feel uplifted after typing this...thank you.

Dave
Old 11-03-2011, 12:24 PM   #27

Quote:
Hi there, it is great to meet our twins! It all sounds eerily similar. What are you doing now 15 years later. We get the benefit of using you guys as our crystal ball

Let us know if you are going to be in Asia in the next year as it would be fun to cross paths and exchange stories in this random world we share.
This is your thread. Enough to say that we ERed quite early, and we are enjoying our lives very much and feel very fortunate still. I wish the same for you. If we do go to Asia in the next year we'll be sure to let you know!
Old 11-03-2011, 01:31 PM   #28

Quote:

We sold everything we owned and in October 2010 we took off for a trip around the world. We have no plans to return and I cannot imagine ever going back to a conventional job or life. We are living our dream and loving every minute of it.
Nice blog. You might be interested in this couple who did something very similar to you, but travel on bikes. They make some money on the road from photography and metal work.

The Path Less Pedaled
Old 11-03-2011, 01:42 PM   #29

I like their t-shirts, Nun, especially this one:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6303994691_b1d355992f.jpg (103.5 KB, 5 views)

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:21 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Yes it combines two of my favourite things: zombies and bikes. I suppose they aren't ERed as they make money from sponsorship and the things they make.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:32 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
That shirt is great. I want one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
Yes it combines two of my favourite things: zombies and bikes. I suppose they aren't ERed as they make money from sponsorship and the things they make.
From "The Zombie Survival Guide"
Quote:
In a class by itself, this vehicle offers the best of both worlds. The common bicycle is fast, quiet, muscle-powered, and easy to maintain. Add to this the additional advantage that it is the only vehicle you can pick up and carry if the terrain gets rough. People using bicycles to escape from infested areas have almost always fared better than those on foot. For optimum performance, use a mountain bike, as opposed to the racing or recreational model. Don't let your speed and mobility go to your head, however. Wear standard safety gear, and choose caution over speed. The last thing you want is to end up in a ditch, legs broken, bike trashed, with the shuffling of undead feet growing louder with each step.
Max Brooks knows his stuff...

Tags
around the world, dreams, travel