Join Early Retirement Today

Twice retired & loving it
Old 02-13-2008, 01:43 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Twice retired & loving it

Have been lurking (& learning from you all) for a while, and decided to come in out of the cold so I can throw in my $.02 on occasion.

Twice retired - 21 yrs active/reserve with Nords' former employer as a cryptologist, pulling retirement pay now for two years; and bailed out of a money center bank at 56 in '01 when faced with the following fatal alternative:

"Move to Manhattan."
"No."
"Move to Manhattan."
"No."
"You don't understand; your job, if you choose to remain employed, is now in Manhattan."
"Make me an offer."

And I miss the airports, hotels, missed flights & TSA like I miss a good head cold.

With BW a retired teacher, pensions cover ~75% of everything, and I split management of the retirement assets between myself & a brokerage house (long-time relationship that's costing me more than other providers but significantly adds to my undisturbed sleep).

Nice to be here...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2008, 03:09 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nice to have you join. Welcome.

Old 02-14-2008, 01:57 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuy View Post
Twice retired - 21 yrs active/reserve with Nords' former employer as a cryptologist, pulling retirement pay now for two years; and bailed out of a money center bank at 56 in '01
Welcome to the board, OG.

We're only 15 years apart-- did you get any DSE ride time? Did we ever work together?
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ile-33131.html

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
LantFlt Sailor
Old 02-16-2008, 07:04 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

LantFlt Sailor

You mean actually going under the ocean voluntarily, for long periods of time? Like jumping out of a perfectly good aeroplane? Seriously, never had the privilege, Nords - I was ~15 years' ahead of you, but I'm certain it would have been a pleasure. Guam on active duty, then east coast/Europe; Winter Harbor, Northwest, Corry Station, Homestead, Ft Meade & Nebraska Ave., Edzell & Rota at various times during the SELRES years. Another lifetime...