Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-26-2012, 10:20 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brdofpray View Post
After retiring from the Chicago area to Upstate South Carolina, I am finding my time is at a premium. So much to do, so little time. At one time I thought I would be sitting on the porch watching birds, hoping, I wouldn't get bored. Was I wrong. Enjoying every minute!!
I love being retired, but I agree. There just isn't time to do everything! I have to space my activities out, and not do everything every day. Also I have to tell myself that I don't have time for some activities at all, and not take on every activity that sounds interesting or fun. There seem to be an infinite number of wonderful, interesting things to do.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2012, 10:40 AM   #22
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
All my old social network wanted to talk about was work and job. I always told my kids they should associate with people that shared similar goals. When I started doing the same, the old network quickly became the ex-network.
Agreed. It took me about two years to extract myself from my former co-workers.

Actually, it took them two years to understand (by not responding to their constant informational emails) that I had "moved on".

Sort of like leaving school and still being contacted to attend a reunion (never have, never will).
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:55 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
All my old social network wanted to talk about was work and job. I always told my kids they should associate with people that shared similar goals. When I started doing the same, the old network quickly became the ex-network.
I am still working on this transition. My old network, all of whom are still working (one of the challenges of ER), indeed want to talk about work more often than not. Unfortunately that stuff bores me quickly, especially when it's former co-workers. And they're not much interested in my new activities, makes many jealous, sad or other.

I was pleasantly busy with (mostly outdoor) activities and a good new network for Summer & Fall, though they all still work. But I am finding Winter up north to be tougher network and activity wise. DW is still working and will continue to do so for quite a while. There simply aren't many early retirees with working spouses I've found. No offense, but I'm not interested in hanging around with folks 10+ years older than I am (yet at least). I have sat near some retirees who meet at local breakfast restaurants several times, and most of what I overhear is complaining, often with little command of facts, no thanks.

But I'll get there, and warmer weather will improve things regardless. Winter isn't much fun up here, working or retired!

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:20 AM   #24
gone traveling

About 10 years ago, I attended BMW's performance driving school in Greenville and had a great time. Got to see a lot of the countryside and came home from that trip and told DW, I want us to retire there and live on a mountain. What beautiful county it is.

Brdofpray, given you screen name, I assume you are observing a lot hawks, eagles and owls?
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:25 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
The nice thing about being FIREd is that you can slow down anytime you want to.
There are so many nice things about FIRE, and that's one of the nicer ones. I have been doing a lot over the past few weeks to prepare for the move and today I feel like doing nothing. The weather is disgusting anyways, so I'll be chilling out at home.

As for social networks...
Family: very important for me. My family lives very far from here but we keep in touch on a weekly basis and we visit each other at least annually. MIL lives 5 miles from our house and I see her several times a week.
College friends: my best friends. Although they are scattered all over the world, we make a point of keeping in touch regularly via phone, email, Skype and actual visits.
Former co-workers: a couple of them became personal friends over 10 years ago and I still see them several times a year. But most of my former co-workers are Facebook "friends" and while we do share personal updates on occasion, it's pretty shallow.
Local network: when I retired, I didn't have much of a social network locally, outside of work people that is. I am not a very social person, so I don't need a large network to feel comfortable (good friends and family fulfill most of my social needs). But it was still too limited even for me. Over a period of several months after retiring, I was able to enlarge my network by meeting people through hobbies and I now have a pretty good local social network.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:22 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popster View Post
It sounds like you transitioned yourself gradually - building an existing group of people outside of work before retiring. This is something I never thought of. Thanks for this advice. I should do what you did before taking the plunge.
Not quite. I never depended on work for my social network. I instinctively kept my social network apart because I wanted a true break from the office in my free time. I only occasionally socialized with favorite co-workers. I had plenty of outside interests where I made friends, and I still maintained friends from earlier times (like college).

Audrey
Old 01-26-2012, 04:59 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

After 2 years out, my former HR director actually said this to me: "I'd expect that sailing in New England, wintering in Florida and skiing the Alps will eventually lose it's luster for you..."

That was 7 years ago. Still waiting for it to lose it's luster. Don't think it will happen.
marko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:17 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Brdofpray, given you screen name, I assume you are observing a lot hawks, eagles and owls?
It is an amazing area, and yes, my passion is birds of prey, in fact all of our feathered creatures. My early years, in my working life, was spent sharing and teaching folks about the avian world. As I moved up the ladder, I became less and less hands on. Until at the end, I was managing people who managed people who did what I used to do.

Now I am returning to those early years, and reconnecting with the passion that originally brought me into the field.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:11 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Sort of like leaving school and still being contacted to attend a reunion (never have, never will).
Facebook has helped me realize what reunions would be like, and so I'm done with them. I get more than enough of it from FB anyway...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:58 AM   #30
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
About 10 years ago, I attended BMW's performance driving school in Greenville and had a great time. Got to see a lot of the countryside and came home from that trip and told DW, I want us to retire there and live on a mountain. What beautiful county it is.

10yrs ago? Was that the one with the McLaren F1 GTR Fina car on display? Boris Said was giving drives around course in the newest M5 like a Millennium Falcon record breaker. Ahh sorry mind raced there for a min. I like early BMWs.

Yes the Carolina's are a nice place to settle. Bought a house in NC with this in mind.
project2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:19 AM   #31
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Facebook has helped me realize what reunions would be like, and so I'm done with them. I get more than enough of it from FB anyway...
Heck, and I/DW don't even use FB (no need for it)...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote