Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Unemployed = Early retirement for me?
Old 10-14-2010, 01:40 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Unemployed = Early retirement for me?

Hi, I am a new member that has been lurking for several months and decided to join in the fun! I'm not sure I have much advice to give but I know I have lots to learn.

I am a 52 yr old female and am laid off from my job. I am a computer programmer but I think I will have a tough time finding another job since I have not kept my skills up to date. Who would hire a 52 yr old when they could hire a recent college grad with the latest skills? So I am thinking this might lead to an early retirement for me.

My DH is 55 and is eligible to retire from the federal govt in a few months but plans on retiring in about 3-4 years. We want to help pay for my youngest son's college tuition.

I have 3 sons. The oldest has left the nest and is independent. The middle one is a recent college grad with a fulltime job in his field and is currently living at home. The youngest is a freshman in college.

I chose my username NervousNellie since I am nervous about the future. We have always lived below our means but I'm not sure how living on one income will be. I'm sure we can make it on one income but we probably will need to cut back some. We haven't tracked our spending in over 15 years. In the past we would just transfer any excess money to savings every few months. I plan to start tracking our spending in January. This should help us now and in the future for our retirement planning.

I'm looking forward to reading/posting and getting to know everyone.

NervousNellie
NervousNellie is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2010, 01:48 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome aboard. Aside from tracking your expenses, have you checked out Firecalc?

It may help answer some of your concerns, after which you can change your forum name to just Nellie .

Share as much as you feel comfortable here regarding your specifics and I am sure you'll get lots of good advice.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:18 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome.

I've found that when I am anxious, it really helps to have information to help me assess my risk. In your case, knowing what your expenses are now and will be in the future would seem to be critical, as well as knowing your DH's projected income in retirement.

I'd start tracking expenses now.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:27 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hello Nellie! I was a long-time IT professional laid off from my job at the age of 48, and that turned into ER for me. My first bit of advice would be to start tracking your expenses now. Why wait 3 months? How much you need to spend is one of the most important factors in determining if you can call this retirement. If you use some Quicken-type of software to track your finances, you can probably pull in the last few months of transactions from your credit cards and checking accounts and that gives you an even bigger head start in knowing what your expenses are. The software I use is called Moneydance, but there are plenty of others.

Good luck with your research and I hope everything works out for you and your family.
DayDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 03:20 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome Nellie! Tons of useful (and useless fun stuff too!) here on the board!
Old 10-14-2010, 03:27 PM   #6

Hello Nellie

If you would like to w*rk, I would not give up quite yet. Even if standard jobs are scarce in your skills area, the general ability to negotiate systems is still highly prized.
In the kingdom of the blind the one eyed person is king . Many non profits and school systems routinely hire older flexible hours workers. We hired the PT person in our office at the age of 55.
Emeritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 03:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NervousNellie View Post
My DH is 55 and is eligible to retire from the federal govt in a few months

NervousNellie

FERS or CSRS?
Old 10-14-2010, 04:08 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Hello Nello, or Hellie Nellie,

If I were you I'd start tracking expenses asap! It just means that 3 months sooner, you will have a year's worth of expense tracking to look at and analyze.

I now have almost 2 years' worth of down-to-the-dollar tracking, thanks to encouragement from this forum, and the data are really starting to be useful in projections, conversations with husband, etc.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:45 PM   #9

If those old, outdated skills include things like COBOL, FORTRAN, PL/I, JCL of any flavor, old databases that aren't supported any longer or any number of other skills that are no longer taught in schools (and, which the kids just out of school are not interested in learning), you might be surprised at just how valuable you are. If you do not need full timer security and are willing to do some travelling, you might really be able to pull down some serious hourly wages on a contract/consulting basis.

Good luck with whatever path you take; I may not be that far behind you.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:05 PM   #10
gone traveling

Welcome Nellie! At least you can rest assured you and DH will always be covered nicely under FEHB - federal employee health benefit. Health care for your family is one huge expense, risk, and worry out of the way.
Richard8655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:12 PM   #11
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Welcome aboard. Aside from tracking your expenses, have you checked out Firecalc?

It may help answer some of your concerns, after which you can change your forum name to just Nellie .

Share as much as you feel comfortable here regarding your specifics and I am sure you'll get lots of good advice.
Thanks Rich. Yes I have run Firecalc and several other retirement calculators with the estimated pensions and estimated SS. The only big question I have is the income we need. I used a guesstimate for it! That is why I want to start tracking our current expenses.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:17 PM   #12
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Welcome.

I've found that when I am anxious, it really helps to have information to help me assess my risk. In your case, knowing what your expenses are now and will be in the future would seem to be critical, as well as knowing your DH's projected income in retirement.

I'd start tracking expenses now.
My DH just ordered Quicken from Amazon. I previously used an older version of Quicken to keep track/balance our checkbook. I could probably get some expenses from the old files I just would not know what we spent the cash stream withdrawal money for (any we made many of those withdrawals )!
Old 10-14-2010, 05:19 PM   #13
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDreaming View Post
Hello Nellie! I was a long-time IT professional laid off from my job at the age of 48, and that turned into ER for me. My first bit of advice would be to start tracking your expenses now. Why wait 3 months? How much you need to spend is one of the most important factors in determining if you can call this retirement. If you use some Quicken-type of software to track your finances, you can probably pull in the last few months of transactions from your credit cards and checking accounts and that gives you an even bigger head start in knowing what your expenses are. The software I use is called Moneydance, but there are plenty of others.

Good luck with your research and I hope everything works out for you and your family.

Thanks. Quicken ordered today.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:27 PM   #14
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeritus View Post
FERS or CSRS?
CSRS Offset
Old 10-14-2010, 05:37 PM   #15
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard8655 View Post
Welcome Nellie! At least you can rest assured you and DH will always be covered nicely under FEHB - federal employee health benefit. Health care for your family is one huge expense, risk, and worry out of the way.
Yes that is one thing I am thankful for! If they ever talk about changing the retirement health plan and grandfathering current retirees klready enrolled then I am sure DH would retire asap whether my youngest son was finished with college or not!
Old 10-14-2010, 05:40 PM   #16
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolChange View Post
If those old, outdated skills include things like COBOL, FORTRAN, PL/I, JCL of any flavor, old databases that aren't supported any longer or any number of other skills that are no longer taught in schools (and, which the kids just out of school are not interested in learning), you might be surprised at just how valuable you are. If you do not need full timer security and are willing to do some travelling, you might really be able to pull down some serious hourly wages on a contract/consulting basis.

Good luck with whatever path you take; I may not be that far behind you.
Fortran and C here. Very little experience with the Object Oriented languages (C++ or Java) or web programming which is what all of the jobs here seem to be looking for.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:41 PM   #17
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

NervousNellie (NN)
Old 10-14-2010, 07:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Fortran and C here. Very little experience with the Object Oriented languages (C++ or Java) or web programming which is what all of the jobs here seem to be looking for.
I learned Fortran on an IBM 7094
Damn near killed me

Old 10-14-2010, 07:39 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I chose my username NervousNellie since I am nervous about the future.
Have you considered a more hopeful name such as Positive_Paula? It might help with your outlook.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:31 PM   #20
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
Have you considered a more hopeful name such as Positive_Paula? It might help with your outlook.
I might be ready to change names in a year or so after I track our expenses and am convinced we are OK on one income!