Join Early Retirement Today

unexpected possible ER
Old 02-12-2013, 12:18 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

unexpected possible ER

Hi Everyone,
I've been following this site for a few months now and have been reading the great replies to everyone's questions as well as the great referral of other sites and articles to read. You all go out of your way to help each other out. Very nice!
I had an occupation that I really enjoyed. It was demanding and stressful but I really enjoyed the people interaction and I was finally getting into nice earnings. I had a lot of personal satisfaction with my work. I had some surgery a couple of years ago and made my way back but shortly after that I was rear ended by another vehicle and have had complications ever since. I have been battling through it , FMLA, therapy, etc, but finally am unable to do all the requirements of my job any longer and went on to STD. Progressing to LTD but not sure what will become of this as sometimes working with insurance companies can be more focused on profit than helping someone along. Enough of that.
Having some anxious moments dealing with all of this, planned on working longer to build up saving after getting kids through college and started in life. I have one still in school but should be graduating later this year but I expect to be "subsidizing" her living for a while yet.
I have been off now for 5 mths. Limited in physical capacity for many of the things I used to do so I have spent much more time reading or on line researching financial information and visiting this site and others. Working with Vanguard to get my AA adjusted to these new unknowns as best I can.
Just wanted to say hi and that I have enjoyed all the conversations on this forum. I look forward to contributing whenever I can. Not real familiar with forum etiquette so I will read up more in the general info site for the forum and hopefully not offend as I wade my way in.

twolfy
twolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2013, 12:20 PM   #2

Hi twolfy, Welcome.

Best of luck with transitioning through disability to ER.
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:57 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

thanks Rodi. It feels like that will become my full time job now just to make the transition.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:01 PM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

Hey! Very sorry to hear of your disability, but I hope the LTD kicks in really soon for you....insurance companies are very challenging to deal with. Phone calls and frustration and more phone calls and more frustrations.
I'm nowhere near retirement, so others will tell you about that planning, but I wish the best for you in the future and hope everything turns out well! I'm sure with a little money management and some minor lifestyle changes you will get you where you need to be.
GD
Old 02-12-2013, 06:18 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sorry to hear about your car crash injuries. Try to stay active. Can be very important to best long-term recovery.....and don't forget to track those little incremental victories.
Don't worry too much 'bout etiquette on this forum. Just jump in. Welcome!
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:58 PM   #6

Good luck with the insurance companies. I have an acquaintance who is battling a denied claim and it was made more difficult because his doctor did not cooperate to talk with the insurer and also had some notes in the chart that were not consistent with what he told either the patient or the insurer. So anything you can do to get your doctor(s) on board will work in your favor.
Hope you will find some useful info here and we look forward to your contributions as well!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:57 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome to the forum, twolfy, and take care.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:39 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks everyone. Very frustrating time right now as i always have been very active. Making adjustments. Many obstacles ahead but I'm an optimist so I'll take it on as it comes. Thanks again for the welcome.