Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Update: Making progress
Old 07-28-2016, 09:54 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Update: Making progress

Hello Everyone

I have not posted here in a very long time, hence the Oct. 2013 date of my original post. I just had to see when it was that I had hit my $100K savings and if I had kept up with my path to retirement savings.

Well, I must admit I had hoped to be a bit farther ahead by now but did make 1 bad oil & gas investment that lost me some savings but overall, I should also be happy to see progress.

I'm still credit card debt free and have recently gotten my oldest daughter through 2 years of college which I must recognize for myself as a victory.

I now have $190K in my retirement accounts and getting oh so close to my next milestone.

Hoping all of you here are finding yourselves on track or making positive momentum towards achieving your own financial goals as well.
CamasSaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2016, 04:58 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats! With 2 years of college checked off, you'll start flying by the milestones.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:36 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congrats on making progress, even if it's sometimes slower than we like. But getting by 2 years of college expense is a big accomplishment
Katiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 10:44 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Achieving the first 100k is hard. There is also a lot of distance between 100k and 250k. It does get easier . 190k opens a lot of doors. Your money should start growing faster now. All I can say is stick with it.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:34 PM   #5

Congratulations on making progress - as others have said, the power of compounding makes each further milestone a little easier to reach. And you're doing great to be making progress AND getting your DD through college. Keep up the good work!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 02:55 PM   #6

Slow and steady wins the race. Congratulations and keep at it!
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 05:42 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I see at 2034 your retirement is 18 years out, but kid at 2nd year in college, that's an unusual combination. Congrats so far.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Rothman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 07:44 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Keep going, investment snowball will start helping you very soon
Exit 2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:50 PM   #9
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thank you all for the kind words of encouragement. I'm certainly going to try and stay at it and just boosted my contribution up on my Roth 401K that my company provided to us as an option which makes it more difficult since I'm paying taxes before it goes in but I want to ensure I have that available to me in retirement.

One thing I have learned is that I must pay myself first before anything else. I can't wait to see the $200K balance display itself in my retirement plan portion but more importantly to hit the $250K mark. Man, that's going to be a nice site to see.
CamasSaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:39 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Almost doubled in less than three years! Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
WestLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 01:52 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Way to go!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
2035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:38 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Well done. Keep on contributing, and you'll pass over $200K well before the end of the year. I highly recommend you continue to keep close track of your progress. It really helps me stay motivated.
Standard Staples is offline   Reply With Quote
Still making progress - my own pulse check
Old 08-07-2018, 06:28 PM   #13
Dryer sheet aficionado

Still making progress - my own pulse check

I haven’t logged in here in a while and wanted to once again see when I last posted and where I was back then. Well, I now have $300K in my retirement accounts and very glad to have gotten this far. Oldest daughter is about to finish her university degree this winter also which is great to see and this will help free us a little more money to stash aside.
It’s a journey but I’m glad to be able to be in a position to max out my 401K this year and hopefully continue to do so for the remaining years until retirement.
So glad I still love my job though.
Wishing all of you success in your personal savings journey.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamasSaver View Post
1 bad oil & gas investment
Speculation will likely end up with a loss eventually. Most here believe in investing in mutual funds, or ETFs. Slow and steady, but almost guaranteed over the long-term to rise faster than inflation. Single stock investing can make you rich or poor. One poster here made 95% ROI in just the first 7 months of this year. He could just as easily have lost it all. Best wishes!
HI Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 06:14 PM   #15
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamasSaver View Post
Hello Everyone

I have not posted here in a very long time, hence the Oct. 2013 date of my original post. I just had to see when it was that I had hit my $100K savings and if I had kept up with my path to retirement savings.

Well, I must admit I had hoped to be a bit farther ahead by now but did make 1 bad oil & gas investment that lost me some savings but overall, I should also be happy to see progress.

I'm still credit card debt free and have recently gotten my oldest daughter through 2 years of college which I must recognize for myself as a victory.

I now have $190K in my retirement accounts and getting oh so close to my next milestone.

Hoping all of you here are finding yourselves on track or making positive momentum towards achieving your own financial goals as well.

Update: As we approach the 4th quarter or 2020 and a global pandemic, I am thankful to have been able to stay the course and was able to work when more than 50% of my company’s employees were furloughed. I’m very thankful
I haven’t posted in a very long time and wanted to see where I was in last update and to share where I am now.

My oldest graduated from college with a psychology degree and has recently obtained her first salary position. My middle daughter just completed her cosmetology school and passed her tests and practical for her license last week so she will be able to begin her career soon.
My youngest is a senior in high school and has a strong 3.97 gpa and looking into college choices.
I’m very blessed and we and my wonderful wife are all healthy and well.
I have now reached $435K in 401k/Roth and have $55K in emergency savings as well. I think I’m doing ok and of course always wish I had more but considering 2020 I am thankful.

That’s my story and update. Hope you are all doing well, staying safe and making progress on your goals as well.
Old 10-24-2020, 06:57 PM   #16
Dryer sheet aficionado

As we approach the 4th quarter or 2020 and a global pandemic, I am thankful to have been able to stay the course and was able to work when more than 50% of my company’s employees were furloughed. I’m very thankful
I haven’t posted in a very long time and wanted to see where I was in last update and to share where I am now.

My oldest graduated from college with a psychology degree and has recently obtained her first salary position. My middle daughter just completed her cosmetology school and passed her tests and practical for her license last week so she will be able to begin her career soon.
My youngest is a senior in high school and has a strong 3.97 gpa and looking into college choices.
I’m very blessed and we and my wonderful wife are all healthy and well.
I have now reached $435K in 401k/Roth and have $55K in emergency savings as well. I think I’m doing ok and of course always wish I had more but considering 2020 I am thankful.

That’s my story and update. Hope you are all doing well, staying safe and making progress on your goals as well.

Tags
milestone