Join Early Retirement Today
Old 06-08-2016, 02:44 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by FIREd_2015 View Post
First, congratulations! Second, a word of caution since after only 3 months I would consider you still in the "honeymoon phase" of RE. Depending on your personality you may find a need for more intellectual stimulation down the road. Also, at some point your son may no longer want to hang out with dad. I've met people that have had a hard time adjusting to retirement and eventually went back to work and others that were able to adjust easily.
I guess there's no way to know for sure.

I'm SURE my kids won't want to hang with dad when they are in their teens and that's part of the reason to spend time now.

I've already started a couple of side projects I do a few hours a day a couple days a week... wish I had more time for those hit family is #1 right now.

We'll see!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

petershk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2016, 03:32 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.
we kinda did a 4-year experiment with not really working. *definitely* ran into the 'what day is this?' phenomenon, as well as a bit of frustration with others for not being willing to take off of work to do things. We would come back to the states and kind of expected more people to meet up for a visit. Unfortunately once you 'escape' the rat race people tend to forget about you. You're outside their construct of reality.

Unfortunately I don't do 'lazy' very well. I have several non-fiction writing projects on the back burner as well as a lot of genealogy and other similar projects. And travel. My wife is going to be dragging me away from the computer till I'm 90...

Arguing on the internet is like wrestling pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it.
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 03:44 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
We would come back to the states and kind of expected more people to meet up for a visit. Unfortunately once you 'escape' the rat race people tend to forget about you. You're outside their construct of reality.
I have noticed this too. Definitely in a different place than almost ALL of my peers. Just not too much in common anymore.
Founder and Head Lounger @ The Life of Leisure Institute
Retired in 2014 @ The Ripe Age of 40.
ExFlyBoy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 03:50 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I had a somewhat similar experience. After an extended vacation (four or five weeks in the mountains), I went back to work for a week then switched to night shift. I found I just couldn't handle doing the night shift routine any more and put my retirement papers in the next morning.

BTW, that forgetting what day it is can bite you. I forgot it was DD's birthday last week.

Hermit is online now   Reply With Quote