Join Early Retirement Today

update on FIRE
Old 05-21-2016, 05:04 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

update on FIRE

I wanted to add to a previous thread but it is too old apparently.
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ted-76271.html

Briefly, I left a long time position last summer. I took a few months off and
decided to join another group PT. I enjoyed the w*rk/life balance and the stability of income still coming in. However, politics and lack of adequate staff to perform at an appropriate level have created a bad environment. Monday is my last day! (my joy tempered by trepidation)

I am only 44, DW is even younger and we have 2 young children. I know our assets are plenty sufficient (8 figure NW - all earned/no inheritance) to FIRE comfortably. Looking to spend 10-15/mo on average with about 9.5-10m in investible assets.

I am fairly certain once the local community hears of my new status I will be getting phone calls. I do not plan to take any positions in the near future but I cannot deny I will likely be tempted. Am I crazy? Yes no doubt.

I have always appreciated the insight and wisdom of the good folks here. I am open to hearing any comments or suggestions given the above picture. Thanks in advance.
Travelwanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2016, 08:14 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You're 44, have $10MM in earned investments and want to spend about 1.5% annually.

And you're asking for insights? You should be giving us a clinic!

But your real question is "should I take another job". Considering the above, that is entirely up to you, my friend.

This forum is inherently skewed toward not taking a job; (it IS the Retire Early forum after all) but at your relatively young age you just need to find something you'd rather be doing. l'd take that time off that you're planning and see what life without a job might offer you.

Like so many here, after a bit of time you start to resent the imposition even a part-time job would demand.

Good luck and God Bless.
Old 05-21-2016, 10:58 AM   #3

Sounds like even part-time stress was not a good idea for you and that taking advantage of the time to be involved with your children will be wonderful. You may want to look into some volunteer opportunities and hobbies/activities to put some structure into your days, particularly when the kids are in school. It's wonderful to do this on your own timetable - that's what being FIRE means!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 07:16 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just take some time off to figure out what you want. I have been able to be content with some hobbies and a little volunteer work on the side.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 11:30 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Your NW is quite a bit higher than mine but like many people here... your assets far exceed safe spending and it doesn't sound like you're headed to substantially increase spending to "increase quality of life."

So the problem with winning one game is which game to play next.

I agree with the above... take time to not think about anything and see what shows up.

Relax. Spend time with family. Try and not commit to anything new for a while.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
petershk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:00 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank youl for the kind comments and advice.

The consistent theme here and from people close to me is to just take my time and see where life leads me. No need to decide anything in the near term. Exciting to think about the freedom!

Now that is possibly here, ER seems surreal.

Cheers!
Old 05-22-2016, 06:19 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelwanted View Post
Thank youl for the kind comments and advice.

The consistent theme here and from people close to me is to just take my time and see where life leads me. No need to decide anything in the near term. Exciting to think about the freedom!

Now that is possibly here, ER seems surreal.

Cheers!
It's hard because, as you have discovered, NO ONE ELSE is doing it, at least no one in your immediate circle of friends and acquaintances. And you travel, which isn't so common either. And you've saved back and grown investments to a level surpassing even most of the ER crowd. (I say most, just guessing). Very inspiring!

Separate issue: Now what? What will you do to keep your brain from atrophying and being plain bored? My first thought was both travel and possibly volunteer work. Use your expertise for good, not pay. Maybe thinking along those lines will provide some possibilities...
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:59 AM   #8

You have enough. Let someone else have that job do they can do as well as you. And congratulations.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:20 AM   #9

04-30-2015, 08:16 PM #51 Travelwanted
Recycles dryer sheets

After so much great wisdom and advice I thought an update would be nice:
I am part-time now in the same current j*b. I have not accepted the other part-time position. I am seeing that I can keep myself busy, am ok financially, so really wondering the benefit.
A lesson learned here is to transition to PT if possible when debating the issue of ER. Gives a glimpse into what it might be like - especially the younger you are.
I'm really leaning towards full FIRE. I'll update again in a few months.

Quote:
I wanted to add to a previous thread but it is too old apparently.
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ted-76271.html

Briefly, I left a long time position last summer. I took a few months off and
decided to join another group PT.
I enjoyed the w*rk/life balance and the stability of income still coming in. However, politics and lack of adequate staff to perform at an appropriate level have created a bad environment. Monday is my last day! (my joy tempered by trepidation)
The first part of this response is a quote from the link that you provided.
You had two part time jobs (one at the original company and one at a different company) and both were not a good fit? Is it because you are a type A personality and didn't care to be the part timer and not in charge? Since you have the resources maybe it's time to learn to relax and enjoy life and your family.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:17 AM   #10

There is nothing wrong with working part time if you find something that is enjoyable to work on. I've been part time for three years now and would not want to give it up because I need something to keep my brain from turning to mush. And I enjoy the work I'm doing so why would I want to give it up?

I think you will likely find something else (or it will find you), but I would just let it come to you and enjoy the opportunity of looking for your next adventure.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 01:31 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

@dixonge- yes, no one I know in a similar position - other than this forum! So yes, the now what? I am a goal orientated, task oriented person so I will need over time to develop some structure. And yes, volunteering will be part of that. Thanks.

@EW - yes someone else can. We are all replaceable. I wasn't doing it for the $$ but rather the personal satisfaction. Of course admittedly the paycheck was a nice thing.

@split - yes I had gone from FT to PT at the same w*rkplace but decided to leave. Ultimately there were political and financial reasons for the departure. I later took a PT at another place as I still enjoy what I do...just not the politics. Unfortunately the 2nd place could not provide the adequate support staff to allow me to function at the level required for what I do.

Yes I am very type A. But I actually enjoyed the balance. I do not feel the need to be in charge or I would have created my own business. Too much at this point in my life. I do plan to try to follow your advice. Time will tell if ER sticks!

@Ready - yes, I plan to let it come to me at this stage. Inevitably it likely will but by then I may have realized ER suits me just fine.

Thanks to you all!
Old 05-23-2016, 01:13 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Today was my last day!

Strange feeling. A good feeling, but strange.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:33 PM   #13

Quote:
no one I know in a similar position - other than this forum!
I hate to break it to you, but we're all bots.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:04 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Today was my last day!

Strange feeling. A good feeling, but strange.
Congrats
Katiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:45 PM   #15
Dryer sheet aficionado

Do you mind mentioning what you did for a career? Definitely impressive! Congrats.
Trueace is offline   Reply With Quote