Join Early Retirement Today

Usps vera
Old 09-27-2008, 09:40 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Usps vera

Hi - I've been with the Postal Service 25 years. As a Postmaster, I am soon to be offered a VERA or Early Out. I thought I had 5 years until retirement, and now I'm getting very excited about the prospect of going in perhaps 6 months. I'm reading Bob Clyatt's book on early retirement or semi-retirement called "Work Less Live More." I've already calculated how much I would get now, at 56, and at 62. I think I can afford this if I can just learn how to dial down my desire for more "stuff." I would have to work part time or full time for 5 more years. But, this time I could do something with less stress - or maybe even FUN. All I have to do is figure out what it is I want to do. The possibilities are very exciting.
earlyoutusps is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2008, 10:19 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Who's gonna deliver my mail! Stay in there and work (or get those postal carriers to work for you), you slacker!

Seriously, welcome to the board. Wait until Cute Fuzzy Bunny (CFB) tells you about his little feud with his mailman--the prime beneficiary is CFB's son, who now has a growing collection of small toys, all hand-delivered by the USPS.

I hoe the numbers work out and you can jump off the (mail) train soon.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 03:13 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Moi?

We have a different delivery person now. I think the other one quit after I had all those cast iron pans delivered one at a time.

Rewahoo is probably still unhappy with his though.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 05:05 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the board, EarlyOut. Have you run your numbers through FIRECalc and considered the impact of your early-out on your health insurance/healthcare expenses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Rewahoo is probably still unhappy with his though.
That word has probably spread throughout the USPS; OP has "Florida" in their profile...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 06:30 PM   #5
Gone but not forgotten

Welcome , I sell on ebay so I spend a lot of time getting to know my friendly post people .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 06:31 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Got any large, heavy things for sale that I can buy?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 09:30 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome "earlyoutusps" - Are you FERS or CSRS.

I too am a fed eligible to go early under a 6c FERS retirement next April. I'm still relatively young so I will be going into a semi-retirement for a few more years & do something else. As to post-retirement work, I haven't a clue either after 25 years in a fed job that doesn't translate too well to the private sector (& I really don't want to do anything related to what I've been doing anyway).
Old 10-02-2008, 04:43 PM   #8
Confused about dryer sheets

Nords - As a federal retiree, I have very low cost health insurance for life. It will probably be under $150 per month.

Texarkandy - I will have to work as well, at least until I'm 56. But, like you I want to do something different - and more fun!
earlyoutusps is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
usps