Join Early Retirement Today

Very strange feeling
Old 03-13-2018, 07:54 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Very strange feeling

56 yrs old, FIRE for a couple months. Today was at the post-office getting my passport renewed. One of the questions the PO employee asked in order to complete one of my forms was my "where do you work?". I've been asked this question a million times while working for the same mega corp for 25 yrs, so it was super strange to say "retired". A bit of me felt anxious/insecure/guilty to say retired (= i am not working). I was surprised to have this feeling as FIRE
has been something I've worked for for so long, but understandable as I've I been conditioned to 'be working' for most my life and am at an age where most are working. This was a good reminder to say 'retired' with pride next time i am asked where i work.

ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2018, 08:20 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
56 yrs old, FIRE for a couple months. Today was at the post-office getting my passport renewed. One of the questions the PO employee asked in order to complete one of my forms was my "where do you work?". I've been asked this question a million times while working for the same mega corp for 25 yrs, so it was super strange to say "retired". A bit of me felt anxious/insecure/guilty to say retired (= i am not working). I was surprised to have this feeling as FIRE
has been something I've worked for for so long, but understandable as I've I been conditioned to 'be working' for most my life and am at an age where most are working. This was a good reminder to say 'retired' with pride next time i am asked where i work.
Been retired under a year. Have to admit I do love saying I am retired. However, if there is an elderly person providing a retail service to me, I am conscious not to say anything.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:26 AM   #3

Here's another uncomfortable feeling: when friends and relatives mention w*rk.

It can be offhand, like "I'm so glad Monday is a holiday, I have the day off." Or they might be complaining about how they can't get anything done because of their w*rk schedule.

Sometimes, I make a joke of it. "I have that day off, too!"

But there are times when saying ANYthing can be interpreted as gloating, or as a put-down to the w*rking stiffs. I certainly don't want to offend anyone, or act superior to anyone. Hey, if they saw my pension check, there'd be NO jealousy. But I find I still have to be careful.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 03:33 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I understand. I retired at 55 and for decades I always replied with "I am a ______." Now I'm getting comfortable saying "I was a ______, now I'm retired"
Palmtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 03:38 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

"I am self-employed"
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 03:39 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmtree View Post
I understand. I retired at 55 and for decades I always replied with "I am a ______." Now I'm getting comfortable saying "I was a ______, now I'm retired"
You can tell you have really arrived when you no longer feel the need to say the "I was a ______" part.

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 03:47 PM   #7

Not really an issue since I'm 60. But, like others, when chatting with my elders working at Home Depot, I'm "between jobs."
Old 03-14-2018, 03:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You can tell you have really arrived when you no longer feel the need to say the "I was a ______" part.
I arrived the day I retired.
Old 03-14-2018, 05:04 PM   #9

I tell people I can't wait until Friday, when I get the day off from swim practice and pickleball.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 05:15 PM   #10

I've mentioned it before, but DW suggested that I tell people that I am a private money manager. I like it!
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 05:38 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethebroker View Post
I've mentioned it before, but DW suggested that I tell people that I am a private money manager. I like it!
My wife is also suggesting I obscure my retirement status.
2017 dry run spending: 2018 accelerate debt elimination: 2019 RV procurement & 1MY begins: 6/19 DW last month went early: 9/19 start cross country loop: 1/20 first reinforcements arrive. 6/20 sell business or shut doors. 9/20 begin globe trot: 4/26 401K reinforcement.
Luck_Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:04 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethebroker View Post
My DW suggested I tell people that I'm unemployed so as to explain the way I dress.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfirev5 View Post
I arrived the day I retired.
Amen.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:19 PM   #14

My answer is and has always been "retired"

I don't tell lies and I could care less what people think of me for telling the truth.

If you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask the question.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:13 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

RobbieB, I admire your approach.
Stormy Kromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 07:19 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
I tell people I can't wait until Friday, when I get the day off from swim practice and pickleball.
I like that and will use that response! LOL
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 07:28 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I sold my business last year but have a payout going out 4 more years under a consulting contract/stock purchase agreement which simply requires me to be "available" for consultation.

When asked the question I still say I am employed by the company even though I work (telephone calls) less than an hour per week.

I guess I am not comfortable with the label either.

Hard to teach a 58 year old dog new tricks.

+1 on "My DW suggested I tell people that I'm unemployed so as to explain the way I dress." She doesn't like my cargo pants and sweatshirts....
phil1ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 07:37 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
... it was super strange to say "retired". A bit of me felt anxious/insecure/guilty to say retired (= i am not working). I was surprised to have this feeling as FIRE
Don't worry, you will get used to it pretty quick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post

But there are times when saying ANYthing can be interpreted as gloating, or as a put-down to the w*rking stiffs. I certainly don't want to offend anyone, or act superior to anyone. Hey, if they saw my pension check, there'd be NO jealousy. But I find I still have to be careful.
+1. I have always been careful to "know my audience" when making comments about being retired. At this point, I really don't say much of anything to anyone...they are simply all too sensitive. I have made it a point to NEVER gloat, but my retirement status will come up in conversation on occasion, and I am obliged to confirm that being retired is pretty damn awesome. I am sorry that there are so many haters out there!
Old 03-15-2018, 01:00 PM   #19

Not certain why the need to hide the fact that one is retired? It is never about gloating. It is about being factual.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:10 PM   #20

I haven't run into any haters yet. And it's not that I'd hide anything.

But timing is everything. It's easy for someone who's had a hard day to mistake an offhand comment as gloating or, worse, judging. I don't want to bring anyone down, so I've learned when it's OK to bring up the fact that *I* didn't have to work today, and when it's not.

CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote