Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Want to do Retire, but can't get Math to Work
Old 07-08-2017, 09:43 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Want to do Retire, but can't get Math to Work

Wife Age: 57

Pension at 65: $5.4K (no annual increase)
Wife Pension at 65: $12.5K (no annual increase)

SS at 65: $21.3K
Wife SS at 65: $23.6K

Part Time Job til 65: $35K/Year
Wife Works til 65: $60K/year

Only place to buy Healthcare is through company Retiree plan: $20K/yr

Retirement Savings: $3.25M (various different types of accounts)

Annual Expenses, including HC: $190K

There are a million other details I can provide and I am sure I need to do so to get good insights from the collective wisdom of the board. But I thought I would provide some basics to get things started. Please let me know what else to add.

I look forward to learning from all of you.

Would like to retire on 12/31. I will be just shy of 50 then. Call it 50.

Thanks in advance.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2017, 10:01 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

For the next 8 years, you need $95K from your portfolio, a WR of 2.9%.

For the following 8 years, you need (190K - 35K - 23.6K - 12.5K) = 112K, a WR of 3.65%

For the remainder of time, you need (190K - 23.6 - 21.3 - 5.4 - 12.5) = 127.5K, a WR of 3.9%.

That's all overly simplified, doesn't include inflation or returns. You need to run FIRECalc to get more certainty.

Are you sure you need 190K after you retire? Some folks find expenses go down after retirement as they drive less, don't spend as much on clothes, etc. Others, not so much. House ever going to be paid off? That might reduce your spending.

There's a lot of variables to it, but back of the napkin tells me you are close, if not there.

Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:03 AM   #3

Are you sure that you will require $190k in expenses throughout your retirement? Have you explored ways to reduce that?

Have you run the numbers if you both delay your social security benefits until 70?

Why is the company plan the only place you can purchase healthcare? Have you considered the ACA marketplace? $20k seems expensive for many locales.

You haven't mentioned housing. Do you have a mortgage? Will you downsize and/or move?
Old 07-08-2017, 10:07 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post
For the next 8 years, you need $95K from your portfolio, a WR of 2.9%.

For the following 8 years, you need (190K - 35K - 23.6K - 12.5K) = 112K, a WR of 3.65%

For the remainder of time, you need (190K - 23.6 - 21.3 - 5.4 - 12.5) = 127.5K, a WR of 3.9%.

That's all overly simplified, doesn't include inflation or returns. You need to run FIRECalc to get more certainty.

Are you sure you need 190K after you retire? Some folks find expenses go down after retirement as they drive less, don't spend as much on clothes, etc. Others, not so much. House ever going to be paid off? That might reduce your spending.

There's a lot of variables to it, but back of the napkin tells me you are close, if not there.
The 190K is after tax.

I've already factored in reduced spending (very little).

We have no mortgage. House is worth about $400K.

Plan to reduce spending by $5K when I hit 65, and another $5K when I hit 75. Don't know how to enter that in to FIRE.

Do not expect to live past 85. Have had health issues. 90 is not happening for me. Assume wife will make it to 90. Don't know how to enter that into FIRE

The pension and SS income listed do not kick in until we turn 65 respectively, not when I initially retire. You seem to be assuming some start immediately (unless I misunderstand something).
Old 07-08-2017, 10:07 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Your annual expenses jump out as quite high. Have you considered that after ER you will pay much less tax, won't contribute to 401(k), won't buy certain insurances, won't commute, etc?

Having said that, if I'm reading your post right your numbers should work.

Conservative 3.25% withdrawal on $3.25M is $105K. Add your PT work and wife's income and you get $200K/yr. Then your WR drops to ~2% when SS and pensions kick in.

Or are you saying retire to no PT work after 50?
Old 07-08-2017, 10:09 AM   #6

I agree with Nash that you should put your numbers into Firecalc and see what you get. I suspect you're there, especially if your expenses are really a little less than $190K.

One thing to be careful about is the age for SS. Your FRA is 67, not 65. Your wife's is either 66.10 or 67, depending on when her birthday is, so make sure you're using the appropriately discounted numbers if you plan to take it early at 65. You may want to play with SS' AnyPIA tool to get better estimates for these numbers.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:10 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
Are you sure that you will require $190k in expenses throughout your retirement? Have you explored ways to reduce that?

Have you run the numbers if you both delay your social security benefits until 70?

Why is the company plan the only place you can purchase healthcare? Have you considered the ACA marketplace? $20k seems expensive for many locales.

You haven't mentioned housing. Do you have a mortgage? Will you downsize and/or move?
No mortgage. House worth about $400K. No plans to downsize.

$20K is the current rate from my company for retirees. ACA is slightly cheaper for us, but deductible and flexibility of providers make the company plan better option. I am a cancer survivor (in remission only about 1.5 years). Still high risk period of return. Don't want to risk not being able to see best providers or a crazy deductible.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:12 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
I agree with Nash that you should put your numbers into Firecalc and see what you get. I suspect you're there, especially if your expenses are really a little less than $190K.

One thing to be careful about is the age for SS. Your FRA is 67, not 65. Your wife's is either 66.10 or 67, depending on when her birthday is, so make sure you're using the appropriately discounted numbers if you plan to take it early at 65. You may want to play with SS' AnyPIA tool to get better estimates for these numbers.
I got those numbers directly from SS website assuming age 65 for each of us.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:14 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by USGrant1962 View Post
Your annual expenses jump out as quite high. Have you considered that after ER you will pay much less tax, won't contribute to 401(k), won't buy certain insurances, won't commute, etc?

Conservative 3.25% withdrawal on $3.25M is $105K. Add your PT work and wife's income and you get $200K/yr. Then your WR drops to ~2% when SS and pensions kick in.

Thanks. Yes I considered the reduced expenses already.

PT work would begin at retirement and end in 8 years.

Here is the missing link I think. The $3.25M is in various accounts -- some are taxable some are not. See below

What is WR?
Old 07-08-2017, 10:35 AM   #10

WR == withdraw rate = annual withdraw from assets/total assets

pensions and SS become cash flow to reduce the amount you need to withdraw from assets.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:43 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Here is the $3.25M i referenced. Hopefully worth more by 12/31

Plan to invest most of cash upon retirement. Big chunk of that is the severance I would get if I leave on 12/31. Rest (about $90K) is true cash on hand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Money.jpg (29.7 KB, 145 views)
Old 07-08-2017, 10:48 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

I did mention that the $190K would be reduced by $5K at age 65 (me) and another $5K at age 75 (me). But FIRE doesn't let me do that.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:59 AM   #13

IMO you shouldn't be counting your spouse's wages...things can change..it's not easy for some people to work FT until 65
Old 07-08-2017, 11:03 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanl3 View Post
Here is the $3.25M i referenced. Hopefully worth more by 12/31

Plan to invest most of cash upon retirement. Big chunk of that is the severance I would get if I leave on 12/31. Rest (about $90K) is true cash on hand.
Much of what you have is pre-tax. If you take that severance all at once... do you know how much will be lost to taxes.

You need to look at how you can take $ and how much will be sucked by the tax man. If you take too large of a chunk and the tax man take his share, you may be working on much less than you are planning
Old 07-08-2017, 11:04 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
IMO you shouldn't be counting your spouse's wages...things can change..it's not easy for some people to work FT until 65
Thanks, I agree. She actually makes about $110K now, so I reduced it to about $60K for that risk.

She sells real estate and averages about $110K over the last 20 years (that includes the crash).

Granted, if something happened where she did not work at all, I have an issue, but assuming no income seemed too far the other way I think.

The way I really view it is that she+me would have to make ~95K per year somehow if I left my job.
Old 07-08-2017, 11:06 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
Much of what you have is pre-tax. If you take that severance all at once... do you know how much will be lost to taxes.

You need to look at how you can take $ and how much will be sucked by the tax man. If you take too large of a chunk and the tax man take his share, you may be working on much less than you are planning
The severance amount assumed is after tax.

But the tax man definitely will take a chunk out of those retirement accounts I listed.

When FIRE asks me to enter my Income on front page, is that pre or post tax? I need to go check that. I'm sure it says
Old 07-08-2017, 11:10 AM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

Sorry, error on my part. Your WR (withdrawal rate) will be just about 4% when SS and pensions kick in - which is risky for a 40+ year retirement. I played around with FIRECalc a little bit and confirmed that you are not quite there yet but are close.

Here's a first cut at your numbers in FC:

FIRECalc: A different kind of retirement calculator

You have a few too many income streams for basic FIRECalc, so i neglected your late-life spending reductions and did a math trick on to represent your transition from work to pensions (deducted the difference from your income).
Old 07-08-2017, 11:11 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I see FIRE wants me to include Tax as an expense. My $190K did not include taxes. But based on my investments listed above, I don't know what to enter. This is where this whole thing gets so messy for me. If I just gross it up by 30%, that is too conservative, but cannot ignore taxes.

Ugh!!
Old 07-08-2017, 11:15 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Sorry, error on my part. Your WR (withdrawal rate) will be just about 4% when SS and pensions kick in - which is risky for a 40+ year retirement. I played around with FIRECalc a little bit and confirmed that you are not quite there yet but are close.

Here's a first cut at your numbers in FC:

FIRECalc: A different kind of retirement calculator

You have a few too many income streams for basic FIRECalc, so i neglected your late-life spending reductions and did a math trick on to represent your transition from work to pensions (deducted the difference from your income).
Thanks. Looks to me like the entry you made assumes we will work PT forever. We only wanted to do this for 8 years.

But don't see the pensions either.

I don't think FIRE is flexible enough for me.
Old 07-08-2017, 11:28 AM   #20

That 190k expenses for two, with no mortgage... seems still very high. 170 after HI, still. Ofc, you may life in a high COL area or have some other big ticket?

(and personally, if I had guaranteed employer care for $20k per year for two ppl, I'd take it, so in this environment that might be a good deal).

Closed Thread