Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-14-2013, 08:55 PM   #21
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
How did you manage to set aside $4k and also be late on your car payments? If you have those funds, can ou call your lender and ask to renegotiate?
The $4,000 is my tax refund. I can call my lender tomorrow.
kaharris05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2013, 10:09 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Do not worry so much about your credit score. From where you are now there is nothing that will improve it quickly (except maybe paying off all your debt). A credit score is just a tool that the lenders use to decide which suckers are the best risk. If you will work at paying off your debt instead of even considering borrowing more money your credit score will eventually improve. Your longterm goal should be to live below your means and save and invest so that some day you are financially independent and you will not even care what your credit score is.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:13 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaharris05 View Post
The $4,000 is my tax refund. I can call my lender tomorrow.
A $4k tax refund is ridiculous when your monthly expenses are so tight. Interest free loan to the gov't. Adjust your withholdings and get more in your monthly paycheck.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:19 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

The OP probably doesn't have much in the way of withholdings to adjust, the " refund" is likely a payment of the earned income credit and child tax credit
chasesfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:54 AM   #25
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasesfish View Post
The OP probably doesn't have much in the way of withholdings to adjust, the " refund" is likely a payment of the earned income credit and child tax credit
Yes, my refund was credits for education, EIC, and the child tax credit.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:45 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, it does. Cramped, but 2 car seats will definitely fit.
Then stick with it. Buying another is just a waste, and another months or years of FI delayed. Interest on car payments can eat you alive.

My parents -- your grand or great grand parents -- stuffed kids in cars like you wouldn't believe. Only the families with 5+ kids had station wagons in my neighborhood. Everyone else piled into Chevy Novas and Ford Tempos. I know we didn't need car seats so you could pile 3 or 4 kids in there. Yes, it was a death trap. But that extra kid back then counts as the seat, so it was the equivalent of 2 with car seats today.

They dealt with it. Didn't seem to be any other way, it just was. I'm amazed, actually, at how little stuff our parents had to raise kids.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:12 AM   #27

Quote:
I will try to make this quick.

I want a new car, because I feel my current car is too small for my growing family. I am looking at a used Hyundai Santa Fe. I won't spend over $12,000.

Refinance your current car, if you can, and put your refund into savings.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:22 AM   #28
Dryer sheet aficionado

Sorry, but I'm not getting this. Lately there have been many people posting, at least what seems to me as, extremely outrageous clamis.

I'm not trying to be nosey but how exactly are you:

1. a fulltime student
2. work 1 full time job and
3. work 1 part time job

All while 5 months (I think you said) pregnant

I just don't see how all of that is possible.
Todd-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:26 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
A $4k tax refund is ridiculous when your monthly expenses are so tight. Interest free loan to the gov't. Adjust your withholdings and get more in your monthly paycheck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasesfish View Post
Quote:
Yes, my refund was credits for education, EIC, and the child tax credit.

You can still adjust your withholding for the credits.... that is unless you had nothing withheld and all $4K are credits...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:45 AM   #30
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd-O View Post
Sorry, but I'm not getting this. Lately there have been many people posting, at least what seems to me as, extremely outrageous clamis.

I'm not trying to be nosey but how exactly are you:

1. a fulltime student
2. work 1 full time job and
3. work 1 part time job

All while 5 months (I think you said) pregnant

I just don't see how all of that is possible.
Unfortunately, it's true.

Full-time student: my school offers classes that are 8 weeks long (a semester is 16 weeks long), and I take two classes at a time. So, since full-time status is 12 credit hours, I take 4 classes a semester (3 credit hours each), so I am full-time. I go to class on Monday evenings and Wednesday evenings (6-9pm).

I work Monday - Friday 8 AM -5 PM at my full-time job. I work Saturday and Sunday at my part-time job (I am a server, so the hours vary).

So, yes, it is possible.

ETA: Being 5 months pregnant has not changed my ability to work or go to school. My pregnancy has been completely normal, with no complications, so that doesn't really affect anything. The only impact my pregnancy is currently having is I get tired quicker. That's not a reason to prohibit me from working or going to school though.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:54 AM   #31
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
You can still adjust your withholding for the credits.... that is unless you had nothing withheld and all $4K are credits...
I need to do more research on withholdings. I thought I filled that form out (the W-9 I'm assuming) correctly. I'm not sure how else it was supposed to be done. If I remember correctly, I had two deductions: 1 for myself, and 1 for my child.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:55 AM   #32
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post
Refinance your current car, if you can, and put your refund into savings.
Thanks for everyone's advice about refinancing! I just did an application on lending tree. I am waiting for results now.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:16 AM   #33

That I never would have expected. How can you refinance a $3000 car on which you owe $8800?
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:23 AM   #34
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
That I never would have expected. How can you refinance a $3000 car on which you owe $8800?
So far I keep getting denial emails so the lending companies share your sentiment...

I am going to call my current lender during my lunch break about my payments. I noticed that about $10-$20 a month is going toward principle, the rest (of a $360.55/month payment) is for interest. I don't mind giving them the $4,000 tax refund, as many have suggested, but I do not want to pay $4,000 on interest. I want all of that money applied to principle. I hope that's possible...
Old 03-15-2013, 09:36 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I need to do more research on withholdings. I thought I filled that form out (the W-9 I'm assuming) correctly. I'm not sure how else it was supposed to be done. If I remember correctly, I had two deductions: 1 for myself, and 1 for my child.

It's the W-4.... from the instructions...

"Tax credits. You can take projected tax credits into account in figuring your allowable number of withholding allowances. Credits for child or dependent care expenses and the child tax credit may be claimed using the Personal Allowances Worksheet below. See Pub. 505 for information on converting your other credits into withholding allowances.
"

Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:18 AM   #36

There is an online calculator for the W-4. Also if you got a full refund and owe no taxes you can claim with holding exemption

2013 Withholding Calculator
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:22 AM   #37
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks! I just got a new W-4 from HR. I will fill this out today.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:24 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

When the 2nd child is born, your costs to run the household will go up substantially from today. Have you budgeted for that? You can move the 3 year old from the $250 a week place to the $150 a week place, but when you add in child number 2 you will be back at $250 a week..........

There are a few questions I would like to ask but they are none of my business......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:31 AM   #39
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
When the 2nd child is born, your costs to run the household will go up substantially from today. Have you budgeted for that? You can move the 3 year old from the $250 a week place to the $150 a week place, but when you add in child number 2 you will be back at $250 a week..........

There are a few questions I would like to ask but they are none of my business......
I'm still working on figuring out how the budget will change when child #2 is born. One of the grandmothers has offered to watch baby #2 for free (she doesn't watch my daughter, because I don't want her sitting around watching tv all day). At least if she watches the baby for a few months that will give me time to get a better job (hopefully...).

If you want to ask more questions that will help me, please go ahead. I'm learning a lot from this forum, so any additional help is appreciated.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:54 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I don't mind giving them the $4,000 tax refund, as many have suggested, but I do not want to pay $4,000 on interest. I want all of that money applied to principle. I hope that's possible...
Google is your friend...how to pay on principle only and what to ask for from current lender:

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/debt/20050520a1.asp