Join Early Retirement Today

wanting to make the change, age 60 in St. Paul, MN
Old 01-02-2014, 03:35 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

wanting to make the change, age 60 in St. Paul, MN

Hi gang,

I'm so glad I found this site. I'm 60, still working full-time, owning my small real estate brokerage, but want to slow down, work much less and eventually a total change, within 2 years. We want to first find a destination to spend part of the winter in a warm climate, leading to spending half the year in Minnesota and the colder half of the year in a warmer climate. I'm hoping you have some advice on reasonable yet inviting destinations. I have had more than enough of Minnesota winters and want to spend much of next winter elsewhere!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2014, 08:31 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi from a fellow Minnesotan! My hubby and I have quite a few years yet before retirement but we also talk about heading south during the winters when we retire. This winter is even worse than usual, isn't it? Congrats on your upcoming retirement!

Old 01-04-2014, 04:51 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Another Minnesotan who will be eagerly following this thread. The last couple of years have convinced me that I, too, want to be a snow bird in retirement (still some years away, but planning!) Why is it that the winters feel worse and worse here? I thought we were supposed to be in global warming or something And we still have many months to go.

I'm single, and don't know a soul in warmer destinations. I've always lived in the upper Midwest. So I will have to plan rather carefully for where I want to go. Right now sunshine and a beach sound good.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:39 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Besides climate one might be interested in the cultural artifacts, prevalent religious denominations, and political attitudes of various parts of the nation. Colin Woodard has a new book out, American Nation: A History of the Eleven Rival Regional Cultures of the United States. Here's a link to a Washington Post review of the book:

Which of the 11 American nations do you live in?
Old 01-04-2014, 12:50 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I can't see us leaving MN til after Christmas because all of our friends and family are here. So we think we would probably only spend three months in warmer territory. We don't need anything fancy but do appreciate privacy. Wonder what the most cost-effective solution for southern "staying" would be for us?? Lots of years left to think and plan but I'd love to hear what others do!
Old 01-04-2014, 01:52 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

DH's Minnesota uncle and aunt leave early in the new year for their MH park in Apache Junction, AZ, and stay until April or May. They seem to like that routine.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:59 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinkles View Post
Hi gang,

I'm so glad I found this site. I'm 60, still working full-time, owning my small real estate brokerage, but want to slow down, work much less and eventually a total change, within 2 years. We want to first find a destination to spend part of the winter in a warm climate, leading to spending half the year in Minnesota and the colder half of the year in a warmer climate. I'm hoping you have some advice on reasonable yet inviting destinations. I have had more than enough of Minnesota winters and want to spend much of next winter elsewhere!
Sounds like a Plan!
Sending you a PM with some thoughts...