Join Early Retirement Today
Old 08-22-2016, 07:09 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets
Congrats firewhen, I'm sure you'll get the itch to retire, but till then your initiative made it possible to increase your saving power. The power of FI lets you decide, now and in the future.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Rothman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2016, 08:23 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by tfudtuckerpucker View Post
I think it's wise to consider this could happen, especially at higher levels in an organization. I know of multiple cases where it did. In one particular case, my friend was offered a position from another firm, and so his boss asked him what it would take for him to stay. He even asked him to write down his requests. They agreed on the changes, and so my friend turned down the external offer. A few weeks later his boss called him into his office, ripped up the paper in front of him, and told him "don't you ever do that to me again". ...
OMG... I wish that had happened to me... my response would have been "see you in court" and I would have walked out the door and to the nearest employment lawyer. Mega hated to be sued. It would have been fun.

If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:31 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by firewhen View Post
Also helps I have been there 20+ years and truly know things nobody else does.

This strategy worked very well for J. Edgar Hoover.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Yes, I have achieved work / life balance.
travelover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 01:35 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I think the fact that you have a new position will work well for you. Once I was FI I lost all tolerance for the BS at w*rk. I hung around a little longer than I needed to only because I lacked confidence in my contingencies. You don't seem to have that problem. All the best ! Enjoy it to the fullest.
"For the time being no discipline brings joy, but seems grievous and painful; but afterwards it yields a peaceable fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it." ~
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 01:50 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
At one point in my consulting 'career' I stopped caring so much.

Result: I relaxed, look relaxed, seemed more confident towards the partner. So I got better performance scores.

Who knew? stop caring (so much) and you're better at your job.

Not sure that was the lesson they wanted me to learn ..
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 09:16 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by firewhen View Post
Through a combination of financial independence and my disgust at not feeling appreciated, I decided I was getting a promotion or quitting.

What might have helped is I think he got the sense I was not bluffing (amazing what confidence millions in assets conveys, not that I disclosed any of that).
So while things normally progress at a snail's pace, couple weeks later he calls me in to congratulate me and they even gave me the title I suggested. Once word got out, I received congratulations from throughout the organization, people in other cities, saying things like you deserve this more than anyone else I know.

As I write this it makes me smile, because even if I have not FIREd, I am FI and at least that led to this.

So I had the nerve to do this, and I know that deep down I am able to take the step to RE (because I really would have had they not given me the promotion), and down the road I still can if things sour somehow. For now I have an extra spring in my step and feel better so I will continue as a working man for the time being.

Anyway just wanted to share with people who will understand.
Congratulations on your enhanced negotiation skills! They may be able to smell your fear, but they can also sense your "take it or I'm leaving it" attitude.

If your occupation keeps you feeling challenged and fulfilled then you have no reason to stop working. If you have more autonomy then you might be even happier.

And, of course, now you have choices. The minute the fun stops (again) you can walk out the door.

The book written on, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote