Was all set to do it and then...

firewhen

Recycles dryer sheets
Through a combination of financial independence and my disgust at not feeling appreciated, I decided I was getting a promotion or quitting. The last factor was getting DW on board (kids were easy). So after compiling a number of valid points, I went into my boss and discussed all the things I had done and accomplished and flat out requested a promotion and dropped not very veiled hints that I was not sticking around if this did not happen. After his shock wore off we continued with a very civil, friendly conversation and ended with his saying he needed to speak to his boss at the very least, and my saying I knew it could take weeks or even a few months but I was not willing to wait beyond that nor hearing that I just needed to master or accomplish one more thing.
What might have helped is I think he got the sense I was not bluffing (amazing what confidence millions in assets conveys, not that I disclosed any of that).
So while things normally progress at a snail's pace, couple weeks later he calls me in to congratulate me and they even gave me the title I suggested. Once word got out, I received congratulations from throughout the organization, people in other cities, saying things like you deserve this more than anyone else I know.
As I write this it makes me smile, because even if I have not FIREd, I am FI and at least that led to this.
So I had the nerve to do this, and I know that deep down I am able to take the step to RE (because I really would have had they not given me the promotion), and down the road I still can if things sour somehow. For now I have an extra spring in my step and feel better so I will continue as a working man for the time being.
Anyway just wanted to share with people who will understand.:)

Funny story. Congratulations and I hope it's what you really wanted, deep down.

No idea about your age, but if you were really feeling "disgust at not feeling appreciated" then I wonder if your BS bucket was actually high enough that you might still be ready to jump.

Congratulations. Sometimes it really does help to not give a damn - they know you are not bluffing.

Good for you!

Stack even more cash and retire extra large - :)

Part of me wanted them to say no, but I am in my mid 50s so it only will be a matter of time anyway. I will enjoy this for now, few extra perks and such at this new level, and see how it goes. I think deep down I wanted them to say yes and to feel good about that, but a part of me did say hey if they say no I will arrive at the shores of FIRE and enjoy that (btw I should mention that after quitting I was not going to seek another real job--this is it for me:)).

If I were your boss's boss, I might start figuring out some way to make you dispensable. I thought that making a threat (even veiled) is considered a poor negotiation tactic for an employee. I've been out of the corporate world for 10 years as an employee, so maybe my information is out of date.

If I were your boss's boss, I might start figuring out some way to make you dispensable. .......
And if I was firewhen, I'd lap up the extra bennies while it lasts and take severance pay on my way out the door.

If I were your boss's boss, I might start figuring out some way to make you dispensable. I thought that making a threat (even veiled) is considered a poor negotiation tactic for an employee. I've been out of the corporate world for 10 years as an employee, so maybe my information is out of date.

When said by someone NOT truly ready to quit then yes because if the bluff is called, you are unemployed or a liar.
If you are truly ready to walk, then it's just a fact, and a very powerful fact.

OP - Good Job :flowers:

OP: That's the power of being FI, Fearless I! I hear you and know very well how it feels! I gave my MegaCorp two weeks notice on 8/1 but they asked for more time so gave them an extra month to fix things to either keep me there or get me severance! Honestly, I'm not expecting either as my MegaCorp is too big to do anything quick so I'm walking out on 9/15.

Last edited:
Then you'll have to change your name.

I think its about being prepared. The OP said that he had written a list of exactly what above and beyond things were being done. This is key.

I did this a few years ago myself (but without, at the time, the FI backing) with good results.

All I can say is, "Well played, sir. Well played"...

And as you said, if things sour, you can walk, and you will only be in better shape.

Very nice, indeed.

Good for you, assuming that the new promotion is what you want and not going to cause increased work load or time away from family. It sounds like your boss did realize your value, and with the points you brought up (and the potential to walk), had no real choice.

I did sort of similar, but my request was for part-time. Either convert to P/T or I would retire. P/T won out and now i am quite happy with the situation.

If your BS bucket gets too full in future, you always have the FIRE option. It does feel good to have that available. Also really changes your ability to deal with office politics and corp administrative crap, you know that you are not stuck with it.

Perhaps you are right but I don't think so... if they wanted the OP gone it would have been easier to just say no to his request for a promotion and let him walk out the door.

Sometimes organizations dilly-dally or don't recognize or compensate people unless they insist on it.... you get what you insist on.

OP, I hope your new position re-energizes you and your enjoyment of your work. I know once I was FI that I was much more bold about speaking up with controversial views on issues that were what my peers were thinking but were hesitant to say because it might not be what management wanted to hear. As long as I was reasonable and civil in expressing concerns, they valued the input.

Very nice! I am not FI (yet), so can't take that exact approach. My plan is to have another offer in hand (for a less stressful, albeit likely lower paying position) and give the specifics to my boss for passing that opportunity up and let the chips fall.

I recently was given more responsibility, (hard to quantify but probably 25%) with no change in pay or bonus level, etc. I plead my case, but to no avail. Problem is my current salary and position are hard to match/beat and so they know they kind of have me. At this point, though, I am ready to exchange stress level for money if that's what it takes.

I think it's wise to consider this could happen, especially at higher levels in an organization. I know of multiple cases where it did. In one particular case, my friend was offered a position from another firm, and so his boss asked him what it would take for him to stay. He even asked him to write down his requests. They agreed on the changes, and so my friend turned down the external offer. A few weeks later his boss called him into his office, ripped up the paper in front of him, and told him "don't you ever do that to me again".

It looks like OP holds all the cards, so this would not be a concern.

Through a combination of financial independence and my disgust at not feeling appreciated, I decided I was getting a promotion or quitting. The last factor was getting DW on board (kids were easy). So after compiling a number of valid points, I went into my boss and discussed all the things I had done and accomplished and flat out requested a promotion and dropped not very veiled hints that I was not sticking around if this did not happen. After his shock wore off we continued with a very civil, friendly conversation and ended with his saying he needed to speak to his boss at the very least, and my saying I knew it could take weeks or even a few months but I was not willing to wait beyond that nor hearing that I just needed to master or accomplish one more thing.
What might have helped is I think he got the sense I was not bluffing (amazing what confidence millions in assets conveys, not that I disclosed any of that).
So while things normally progress at a snail's pace, couple weeks later he calls me in to congratulate me and they even gave me the title I suggested. Once word got out, I received congratulations from throughout the organization, people in other cities, saying things like you deserve this more than anyone else I know.
As I write this it makes me smile, because even if I have not FIREd, I am FI and at least that led to this.
So I had the nerve to do this, and I know that deep down I am able to take the step to RE (because I really would have had they not given me the promotion), and down the road I still can if things sour somehow. For now I have an extra spring in my step and feel better so I will continue as a working man for the time being.
Anyway just wanted to share with people who will understand.:)

Congrats. I've said it before, we get what we fight for, and rarely ever more.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Well, being retired and with the perspective it gives, If you were under appreciated and they played you to the point you felt pushed to give them an ultimatum, I do not see where you are ahead in the game;
1. You are still FI
2. You still work for someone else and answer to their edicts.
3. You are not getting any younger.

I gotta ask; why bother staying on? If they didn't appreciate you before, They still won't appreciate you, but probably will now be scrutinizing you closer to see if they are getting their money's worth. Wouldn't they be expecting more from you than before? Is that what you want; more responsibility and larger work load?

Back to my perspective;
Now a bit more than 3 years ER'd, I have to say that my past life as an employee is way behind me as it was when I graduated high school, discharged from the military, change employers, etc. I feel that I have evolved to a higher plane of self-fulfillment. Work filled a need. Once FI and I no longer had that need, I felt I was wasting my precious life by spending so much of my waking hours working for someone else. My life is now much more fulfilling than it ever was working.

I've tried equating retirement to other life changes. It's sort of like when you first went out on your own and left home. Or like owning your first home and moving out of an apartment. It was O.K. living at home, but moving out was better. It was O.K. living in an apartment, but my own home also is much better.

When you finally do retire, I would venture to guess a few years into it, you'll be asking yourself why you didn't do this a lot sooner if you were able to.

I guess I could clarify a bit: nothing has changed. New title, higher level, salary increase, bigger bonus, same job. No new job description, just a promotion in place. Essentially over the years I have expanded things to the point I am at the higher level. This has happened with other people too on occasion, so not unheard of. Yes, other people have done this the more conventional way, walked in with an offer in hand and resigned and megacorp said hold on how can we get you to stay. We even had a few people who left and came back at a higher level (after just a few months). So it seems they need a gun to their heads to react.

Plus they saw I was not resigning right away but was giving them time. They could never comprehend FI, especially for a middle level employee. They probably think if I did not get the promotion I would first go looking for another job. So they could have said not now and figured I would be unhappy and start looking and eventually leave, but they would have some lead time.

It's been a few months and there has not been any change in how they treat me. But were that to happen, as someone raised this point, I would not allow it. I crossed a threshold in my mind with this, and am not turing back. I am working because I want to, at least for now. If that changes, bye bye. Also helps I have been there 20+ years and truly know things nobody else does.

Congrats firewhen, I'm sure you'll get the itch to retire, but till then your initiative made it possible to increase your saving power. The power of FI lets you decide, now and in the future.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I think it's wise to consider this could happen, especially at higher levels in an organization. I know of multiple cases where it did. In one particular case, my friend was offered a position from another firm, and so his boss asked him what it would take for him to stay. He even asked him to write down his requests. They agreed on the changes, and so my friend turned down the external offer. A few weeks later his boss called him into his office, ripped up the paper in front of him, and told him "don't you ever do that to me again". ...

OMG... I wish that had happened to me... my response would have been "see you in court" and I would have walked out the door and to the nearest employment lawyer. Mega hated to be sued. It would have been fun.

Also helps I have been there 20+ years and truly know things nobody else does.

This strategy worked very well for J. Edgar Hoover.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I think the fact that you have a new position will work well for you. Once I was FI I lost all tolerance for the BS at w*rk. I hung around a little longer than I needed to only because I lacked confidence in my contingencies. You don't seem to have that problem. All the best ! Enjoy it to the fullest.

At one point in my consulting 'career' I stopped caring so much.

Result: I relaxed, look relaxed, seemed more confident towards the partner. So I got better performance scores.

Who knew? stop caring (so much) and you're better at your job.

Not sure that was the lesson they wanted me to learn ..

Back
Top Bottom