Well, dag-nab-it, I Guess I Should...

jdmorton

Recycles dryer sheets
...introduce myself. I've been lurking on this site for almost a year now, without actually posting. Not a record, but still pretty long to just read and not post. Anyway...

Looking forward to retiring. I figure I have about 6 to 8 more years to go. We still have two kids at home - one to start college this fall and the other in two years. Our two oldest are through college and both working in their respective fields. One has a 401(k) at work and is contributing the maximum percentage. The other is a full-time school teacher and is covered by the state teacher retirement plan, and contributes 6.5% (I think that's right).

As for me and my D(ear)W(ife), I have a 401(k) that is at about $220K and a pension - at least for now. The company recently announced that all new hires will no longer be covered by a defined pension plan, but will have an enhanced 401(k). I currently contribute 6% pre-tax to my 401(k) (the max, since I'm considered the dreaded "highly compensated employee"). The company matches that 6%. In addition, I contribute an additional 2% after tax and 10% of the annual performance pay (if we get any, that is). My wife has a teacher's retirement plan that she has to contribute 7.5% pre-tax to.

We will be done with our mortgage in a little over 7 years, and are working on some credit card debt that will take awhile. We are hoping not to have to take out any college loans for our youngest, as we did for our two oldest. Fortunately, those college loans should be done in a little over 2 years.

Well, that's about it. I hope to post some, but it will probably be few and far between, since I only post at home and it's difficult to get on after I get home from work. The kids tend to IM a lot ::)

Welcome JD.  Dag nab it, why'd yah wait so long?
Sounds like you've got things pretty well in hand.
I think you've been lurking longer than I've been posting so there isn't much I can tell you about the forum.
Don't be a stranger podner.  :D

You tell 'em Martha. But wait, does that mean when I retire (11 working days left) I'll be reading and posting to this Forum for free? :LOL: ::) 8)

JonnyM said:
But wait, does that mean when I retire (11 working days left) I'll be reading and posting to this Forum for free?  :LOL: ::) 8)
That depends. If you average at least six posts a day then we'll double your current E-R.org salary.

If you volunteer to become a moderator then we'll give you stock options!

Nords said:
That depends. If you average at least six posts a day then we'll double your current E-R.org salary.

If you volunteer to become a moderator then we'll give you stock options!

Well if I slowly ramp up, that could be doable, (the 6 posts thing) but I'm not so sure I want to paint that Moderator Bullseye on my back just yet. Time will tell. My bandmates tell me I have the "Obnoxious Gene", does that help? :-[ :p :D

Martha, The Reason(s) I Don't Post At Work

Martha,

Working for a very large U.S.-based multi-national company, we have had a rather strict Internet use policy for some time now - which just about everyone pretty much ignores ;). A couple of years ago, during the Christmas holiday season, so many people were buying things from work at all sorts of web sites, that the IT folks had to issue a "warning" to not use the company Internet for personal use. Well, that has sort of evolved to "you can look, but don't actively access web sites (log on, buy stuff, and so forth) unless it is truly work related. :-X

The second reason is my own preference. I hope to be adding some (hopefully) interesting :confused:/funny :)/ironic :p/insane :LOL: stories about work. I'd much rather do that using my own computer, Internet service, and time.

Plus, I tend to type rather long replies, which means I tend to put a lot of time into my replies. If I posted from work, that might be all I did all day. Hey, that's not a bad thing :D

Now we know why I had an analog phone line dragged into my office at my last job for...err...umm...testing.

JD, Boston is easly my most favourite US City, although I no longer like the Sox since they started behaving like the Yankees.

Second most favourite, Chicago.

Back
Top Bottom