Join Early Retirement Today

We're "ctbktb" - glad we found you!
Old 03-21-2004, 06:09 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

We're "ctbktb" - glad we found you!

My wife and I finally got around to checking this site after reading about it in The Wall Street Journal. You could say we've been reading an awful lot lately, hoping ER is just around the corner.

We're 38 and 33, and I'm planning to retire within the next 6 months; her within the next 12. Our biggest concern is making the money last (despite our net worth of $1.3M and no debt; still, if something were to go wrong, we think we're too old to move back in with our parents).

Another concern is finding the ideal place to live. We're Wisconsin (aka tax hell) residents, but we do love our state and aren't ready to leave the life we've made here just yet. Ultimately, we expect to move abroad (we both love New Zealand and have found Mexico intriguing). In the interim, we're considering making our permanent residence a sailboat, an idea that scares my wife a bit, even tho she's a better sailor than I am. The expenses of just the right boat, insurance, etc., are things we have considered but don't feel we know enough about, as we don't own a boat now.

We're particularly interested in getting help identifying Web sites for health insurance (we're not starting from scratch in this search, but we're hoping to hear firsthand experiences and we're always looking for better deals or plans we hadn't considered before).

This is a great forum, and we've enjoyed reading the posts.

C(hris) and K(atie)
ctbktb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: We're "ctbktb" - glad we found you!
Old 03-21-2004, 06:20 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Good news: you're never too old to move back in with your parents, worse come to worse you can go back to work, and your nestegg, properly invested and with a reasonable lifestyle should get you by.

Welcome aboard!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 01:42 AM   #3
Early-Retirement.org Founder
Developer of FIRECalc

Welcome aboard!

If you want to chat about the living aboard issue, post something in the Retirement Afloat section -- I'll be glad to chat about it.

Dory36, retired to my boat in 2001

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
dory36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 08:25 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

1.3 million ! that's great, I'm retiring in 4 weeks with a lot less than that. Of course, my modest pension and wife still working will help.
Ray
renferme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 08:27 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Wisc is 'tax hell'. I thought Pa. was hell for taxes.
I guess the rust belt in general is high tax area.
renferme is offline   Reply With Quote