Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

We're new here - 39 & 43 year old married coupe in Palm City, FL
Old 04-26-2011, 04:48 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

We're new here - 39 & 43 year old married coupe in Palm City, FL

Hi everyone,
I stumbled across this board from JD Roth's blog - Get Rich Slowly. I poked around this morning & decided to join.

I've always been more of the saver, especially for retirement, and long story short, DH has come around in the past year or so. I think it's the hit age 40 thing, and then realize that you only have so many years to start saving & investing.

Anyhow, we will have our 10 year anniversary a week from this Friday, and we do not have any human kids - just 2 of the 4-legged, furry kind that meow. We have 10 months left on our mortgage, and we will own our 2 bedroom townhome outright. My car & student loan will be paid off in January, 2012 and so will our boat & truck. Then we are debt free, baby!

So, then the hard core retirement savings will begin. We have a good base right now with $107,500 in stocks & mutual funds. DH is able to put $500/mo. into his Roth and I can put $100/mo. right now. Once these debts are paid (and the house is paid off) we plan on increasing our contributions significantly.

I have the 'stable' job that provides us with health insurance benefits & DH is self-employed. I would love to be self-employed if only for the flexibility, but due to some pre-existing health conditions, obtaining private health insurance for DH is impossible, unless some type of changes in occur in Washington, but I'm not holding my breath.

I can't tell you exactly our asset allocation. We have a mix of individual stocks (which I hate) and then mutual funds.

My goal is to learn as much as I can from this experienced community, so we can retire before 65. We are planning on 65 but I would like to see us have the ability to do so at 55.

I look forward to meeting everyone & learning from each of you.

Thanks!
Jan
jannyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2011, 05:05 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome! You two sound like you're off to a great start!

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:06 PM   #3
Administrator

Welcome, Jan. It sounds like you two are off to a great start. If you haven't already found it, our FAQ subforum has interesting discussions on most of the burning issues here. Early Retirement FAQs - Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community
Old 04-26-2011, 07:12 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome and... happy anniversary!
steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:50 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome! That nest egg is going to just explode with all your debts paid off! Poke around here for good books and other resources to help you figure out where to put all those dollars that are going to accumulate.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:36 AM   #6

Welcome, jannyf.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:11 AM   #7

Welcome jannyf! I think you will be amazed at the wealth of knowledge on this forum. I'm strictly a CD guy (due to age) but I read with interest all the threads about various investment methods. You'll enjoy it.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:10 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome Janny. My wife and I are also dinks of age 39 & 43 (although I'll be 44 next month). That's a great accomplishment to pay your house off. Now you guys just need to continue building that nest egg. Keep reading all you can and LBYM. I've only been here a few months and I've already learned a ton.
robbridg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannyf View Post
We have a mix of individual stocks (which I hate)
Welcome jannyf! You and I will get along just fine.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:35 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Welcome!
FreeAtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:13 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Jan, like you, we focused early on the debt payoff, congrats on being so close to getting into high gear accumulation stage! One thing I did notice and suggest you think about, is that without a ever-decreasing $ figure to focus on (as when you are paying off those toys and loans) it is hard not to do just a bit more frittering of money.

This is a constant struggle for us, as we have the money coming out of our paychecks to max out retirement plans, but it is the after-tax savings that we don't always push hard to save all we can. It is just a different (and more distant) type of goal, and even though I know how to do it, I will still backslide every now and again.

Some good suggestions from here and elsewhere are written records of spending, automatic drafts to a far-off brokerage account, separating goals into close/near term/retirement savings, and re-using dryer sheets (j/k).

Welcome and good luck. I'm the 40 year old in my house and DH is the oldster!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:13 PM   #12
Gone but not forgotten

Welcome & Happy Anniversary ! You are off to a great start !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:14 AM   #13
Confused about dryer sheets

Thanks everyone for the welcomes! We're really looking forward to learning all we can & I think this is the site to do it in!
jannyf is offline   Reply With Quote