Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

What about this for a plan?
Old 12-23-2013, 07:09 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

What about this for a plan?

I am 45 years old and plan to retire in 4 1/2 years. The wife and I have built up a nest egg of 2 Million. Almost all of this is in retirement accounts. We are thinking of rolling everything except the Roths(300K) into two IRAs and taking 72T distributions until we are 59 1/2. Afterwards we plan to divide the total balance by 30 years and reduce the principle by that amount plus any earnings. We realize that there will be years of losing returns and plan to cover this with our fixed pension combined at 110K per year. We have no heirs and would like to take it down as far as possible. Is this plan sane or crazy?
aksteelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2013, 07:19 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sounds good to me. You have plenty to get to your pension imo.
Surewhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:13 PM   #3

You can refine it a bit by using your life expectancy (joint) instead of years until 90. Another good way to spend to zero is to use a single payment immediate annuity. Then you are covered past 30 years. No need to buy one now, but something to keep in mind.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 06:12 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You say: "divide the total balance by 30 years and reduce the principle by that amount plus any earnings".... be sure to factor in inflation rather than just do a simple 30 year division!
Old 12-24-2013, 06:13 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
You can refine it a bit by using your life expectancy (joint) instead of years until 90. Another good way to spend to zero is to use a single payment immediate annuity. Then you are covered past 30 years. No need to buy one now, but something to keep in mind.
Yeah, I would look at that for at least part of your portfolio. That way someting would supplement that uniflated $110K after you pass 30 years. Of course, you didn't mention Social Security. I assume you that will be entering the picture and should make up the missing COLAs on the pensions.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:25 PM   #6

Welcome.

You might want to look at the advantages of keeping some money in the 401k if that is your retirement plan. Its better protected from a legal point of view. I would also have an umbrella policy to help protect the nest egg. Other than that, sounds like you are in good shape to have an enjoyable retirement!
Hermit is online now   Reply With Quote