What do you cherish most

My DH was pointing out how when we had few things (and no career) we DID whatever we wanted (we smiled more, took more camping trips...we did whatever and were making real memories to cherish) and after years of working we became about accumulating THINGS...then we figured out what we wanted and that was freedom again. We stopped accumulating and started saving.

I want to regain that freedom from work and things and start living!

Another guy at work and I were discussing this very issue. We work at a government site as employees of a contractor and the feds are raising the qualifications and lowering the pay (by almost 50%!) in July so I and a bunch of others are leaving.

Bill is the guy who told me the story of how in his first week on the road as a police officer he got a call for a car idling for a couple of hours in a residential neighborhood. Looking in the window he found a man in his mid-60's, dead, with his face planted in his retirement cake. So the lesson that Tomorrow Is Not A Given was made early on.

The range of reactions to this pay cut is fascinating to watch. Some are rolling with it (this job is their only source of income) and others, like me and Bill, and many others, are in a position to say "Well, it was a good gig while it lasted but losing it is not a big deal".

But the few who are living paycheck-to-paycheck and deep in debt are suddenly highly stressed. Some thought the party would never end and these people are angry, depressed, and worried.

So glad I'm not one of them.

One thing I'd never considered while working, but occurred to me some months after I'd left, is that when you ER (or R, for that matter I suppose), you get your thoughts back. This is related to the "freedom" thing.

While still working, it's amazing to think about how much of your day is given to thoughts related to work: you do it in the morning when you have your coffee and breakfast (and maybe answering work email that accumulated overnight), you do it in the shower getting ready, you hop in the car and do it during your commute. Then you land at your place of work, and you really do it... including lunch sometimes. Do it during travel for work trips, and so on. Some people even do it while they're sleeping :(. I remember one beautiful early summer weekend while still employed, I was outside doing yardwork and I realized "hey! It's Saturday and sunny! Why are you thinking about that work stuff?".

The Beatles expressed it well in the bridge to the song "A Day In The Life", the part that begins "Woke up, fell out of bed..."

Anyway, after a while, you find all this space in your mind reappearing once all the work things begin to leave. Then you have your thoughts back, and you can focus on all the other great things (family/friends, travel, favorite projects/hobbies, etc) that people have mentioned and that ER clears the way for.

There's a famous Zen koan that says it another way:

Your teacup is full (Empty your cup) | Bengt's Notes
Amen!

Wow...powerful post.
So many I know seem threatened when I share we will retire early. I,fortunately, was taught by a wise man to LBYM. He drove a late model buick but had 2 modest condos..one in FL and one in Chicago. When he died dancing at a wedding at 92, he had so much wealth his alma matre build a law library with his name on it. Sure he should have enjoyed more but he was a result of the Great Depresssion.

I can never figure out why people don't want to live! At some point enough money is enough and we can start accumulating memories and not stuff.

Another guy at work and I were discussing this very issue. We work at a government site as employees of a contractor and the feds are raising the qualifications and lowering the pay (by almost 50%!) in July so I and a bunch of others are leaving.

Bill is the guy who told me the story of how in his first week on the road as a police officer he got a call for a car idling for a couple of hours in a residential neighborhood. Looking in the window he found a man in his mid-60's, dead, with his face planted in his retirement cake. So the lesson that Tomorrow Is Not A Given was made early on.

The range of reactions to this pay cut is fascinating to watch. Some are rolling with it (this job is their only source of income) and others, like me and Bill, and many others, are in a position to say "Well, it was a good gig while it lasted but losing it is not a big deal".

But the few who are living paycheck-to-paycheck and deep in debt are suddenly highly stressed. Some thought the party would never end and these people are angry, depressed, and worried.

So glad I'm not one of them.

My first thought was "that's how I'd like to go" - then I realized what a real bummer for his dance partner - not to mention for the bride and groom.

Knowing him he probably made a joke about being a party pooper. But granted, i wouldn't want someone dying at my wedding.

I cherish being able to "putter around" in the garden, around town, in the house....cooking, learning new things, reading, reflecting, working in the yard. The days that I do have clients, it is so nice to be able to talk with them, work on them...no hurry, no deadlines :)
I also cherish not having to do any more of those silly "Performance Partnerships" and "Integrity trainings"...UGH!

I cherish the ability not to be responsible for outcomes over which I have no control. I cherish not having to worry about how I represent an organization or a profession. It is very liberating to enjoy a social event where my work never once enters the conversation, because it is not relevant. I cherish not having to define myself by the work I did. My most important decision of the day is what to have for lunch. I cherish that freedom!

Last edited:
I used to w*rk in a cube in a windowless building. :sick: During the winter months, I drove to w*rk in darkness and drove home in darkness. :nonono: I saw daylight only during lunch, smoke breaks, and walks to meetings in other buildings, independent of the season.

When I first FIREd, I got up very early to see the sight of the sun rising and hear the sound of birds singing in a fabulous orchestra in my backyard at dawn.

At just over 6 years in FIRE, I'm pretty lazy about getting up early, but occasionally I am up at dawn. I still relish the sight and sounds. :D

Thanks for that!

There's time to read an entire Ernie Zelinski book and finish his "Get-A-Life Tree"....Free of the fog of work, many of us would return to the office after a sabbatical and think "What a bunch of toxic crap."
Can't say I was free from the fog of work after I did my get a life tree, but I can say that work looked much more toxic afterwards. That book should be required reading for anyone on the fence.

--Dale--

Looks like "Freedom" is the most mentioned cherished thing, in one form or another.
I agree with that. Freedom to do whatever it is that you want to do whenever you want to do it.
My Freedom is what I cherish the most.

Easy.

Attachments

• scrooge-mcduck-make-it-rain.jpg
    scrooge-mcduck-make-it-rain.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 188
Freedom and the choice to do what I want when I want.

I still get up early and head to the pool not to a job. The morning is such a nice time of day and I'm a morning person. In the evening I pretty much like to stay home and enjoy the evening. Gardening is best done in the daylight also and not in the dark.

freedom from work-related pressure and stress ... freedom from people I don't respect telling me to do things I'm not interested in.
Amen!

I was walking for exercise the other day ... briskly walking along, head down, bent on getting in a good walk when it suddenly occurred to me WHY am I rushing so:confused:?? I slowed down a bit and looked around and had a truly sobering moment that YES this is why I retired...to ENJOY my free time, not have to worry about being somewhere, and how nice it was to just be outside in the afternoon on a sunny brisk Spring day.
A pleasant stroll can indeed be delightful. But when you're out for exercise, try to keep the pace up or you won't realize any significant cardio benefit!

I go with freedom.

time freedom. time is my own. no--have to be here or there by the clock.
I despise the clock!

Not there yet, but that is exactly what I am striving for right now.

Freedom from the annual United Way campaign and the associated coercion, harassment, public shaming and other forms of pressure to "voluntarily" pledge what some idiot has unilaterally decided would be my "fair share" to that middleman pseudo-charity.

Freedom from the annual United Way campaign and the associated coercion, harassment, public shaming and other forms of pressure to "voluntarily" pledge what some idiot has unilaterally decided would be my "fair share" to that middleman pseudo-charity.

At MegaMotors we were intimidated into pledging to United Way and US Savings Bonds, but no one cared if you canceled the pledge after the numbers were counted.

Back
Top Bottom