Join Early Retirement Today

What do you think?
Old 09-24-2014, 12:36 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

What do you think?

I am 59 and my wife is 62. She is retired and I still work. I am trying to figure out if I can retire. We have $4.6M - about 70% in retirement accounts. The asset allocation is about 70% (for both retirement and non-retirement accounts) in equities, 20% in bonds, and 10% in cash. Our house is paid for and we have no kids. We will put off SS till at least 66, perhaps longer, and I will draw the max or close to it. We spend about $70K/year and will have to pay for health insurance until age 65. Based on family histories, it is conceivable that we will both make it to our 90s. Thoughts on whether I can retire?
leyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2014, 12:44 PM   #2

Does the 70k include health insurance/out of pocket costs and does it include taxes?

Even if it doesn't and you round up to $100k/year gross spending you're still at a 2.1% withdrawal rate. And that doesn't consider SS.

I'd say you're good to go.
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 12:51 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

as rodi said, looks like you are more than fine given what you have described.
robertf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 12:53 PM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

Health insurance costs and taxes would be in addition to the %70K/year. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Does the 70k include health insurance/out of pocket costs and does it include taxes?

Even if it doesn't and you round up to $100k/year gross spending you're still at a 2.1% withdrawal rate. And that doesn't consider SS.

I'd say you're good to go.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:12 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Run FireCalc using your total spending needs factoring in SS and Medicare eligibility. My back of the envelope look at your numbers says you can probably safely take $150k to $200k from your account without running out of money over the next 30+ years.

I also think you are a little overweighted in equities. I'd suggest 40% to 60%.

You are only working because you want to.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:16 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Numbers look real good at your spending level. Congratulations....go enjoy!!
tdv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 01:17 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by leyland View Post
I am 59 and my wife is 62. She is retired and I still work. I am trying to figure out if I can retire. We have $4.6M - about 70% in retirement accounts. The asset allocation is about 70% (for both retirement and non-retirement accounts) in equities, 20% in bonds, and 10% in cash. Our house is paid for and we have no kids. We will put off SS till at least 66, perhaps longer, and I will draw the max or close to it. We spend about $70K/year and will have to pay for health insurance until age 65. Based on family histories, it is conceivable that we will both make it to our 90s. Thoughts on whether I can retire?
You are good to go. $70k is only 1.5% of $4.6 but the $70k doesn't include taxes but taxes shouldn't affect it enough to change the decision.

You can get a good idea of what your future taxes might be by sketching out your situation once you retire at Income Tax Calculator - Tax-Rates.org

You can get a good idea of health insurance costs at https://www.healthsherpa.com/

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 01:38 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

No offence to OP but curious as to why you would think you might not be good to go?

Seems to me you are off the charts ready....................just curious what your specific concerns are.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:58 PM   #9

Go for it. You should have no problem drawing on your 401(k)s either since you are close to the 59 1/2 year point. Don't have to worry about after tax amounts.
You have not mentioned anything about your tax-free Roth accounts, but it is probably a good idea for you to do some Roth conversions at this point.
NgineER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:01 PM   #10
Dryer sheet aficionado

Health care costs are a concern along with market volatility and inflation. Once I get out of the workplace there is no going back - my skills will erode too quickly and nobody will hire me. We are potentially looking at a long retirements and there is always just fear of the unknown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Pine View Post
No offence to OP but curious as to why you would think you might not be good to go?

Seems to me you are off the charts ready....................just curious what your specific concerns are.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:32 PM   #11
Administrator

You can get a pretty good idea of health care costs. Looking at ACA available policies in your state / region, just price one and include co-pays and deductibles. The spreadsheet in this post will help you estimate total potential yearly cost.

Depending on your taxable / tax-deferred split you can minimize taxes and may even be eligible for ACA premium assistance. Still, even w/o assistance your total spending looks to be around 2% of your portfolio, which would be a low risk retirement.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:41 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

You can get an idea on health insurance costs at https://www.healthsherpa.com/

Then add in a provision for deductibles and co-pays. IMO it doesn't have to be the deductible limit unless you typically max out your deductible.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 04:10 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Health care costs are a concern along with market volatility and inflation. Once I get out of the workplace there is no going back - my skills will erode too quickly and nobody will hire me. We are potentially looking at a long retirements and there is always just fear of the unknown.
leyland: you've been around here a while according to your join date. You may want to read more frequently and get an idea of when people are jumping into FIRE. It comes up a lot, but you have to read a lot of posts.

But welcome to the club. I have nothing to talk about. I'm an OMYer right now.

Finally, as someone else said, since you have so much, you might want to get a bit more conservative on your allocations.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 04:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
You can get an idea on health insurance costs at https://www.healthsherpa.com/

Then add in a provision for deductibles and co-pays. IMO it doesn't have to be the deductible limit unless you typically max out your deductible.

Thanks for the link!

Great site for estimating costs in the various retirement locations we're considering.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-24-2014, 04:30 PM   #15

Quote:
I get the no going back thing. We are in the same boat. Our plan also has us retiring at 60 and 65 (me/DW). We, however, only have about 80% of your portfolio. I feel pretty good about our place and m ready to go.

Good luck.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:34 PM   #16

$4.6M? What are you waiting for? A blessing from this forum members? You got my blessing . If you lose half of $4.6M in Las Vegas tomorrow, come back and post here. That would be more interesting discussion. As is, you got way more than what you need to retire unless you have other concerns we don't know about.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 05:48 PM   #17

Quote:
BTW, assuming you live to 90, $4.6M / 30 year = $153k per year. That's twice more than $70k/year you are spending now and that' not even counting you & your spouse's SS kicking in as 66. The question should not be whether you can retire or not. More appropriate question is, IMHO, how would you spend the money in retirement, and which charities should you consider leaving your legacy with?
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 07:16 PM   #18
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks for your thoughts. I haven't been to the forum in some time. I know I have to do something with my asset allocation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
leyland: you've been around here a while according to your join date. You may want to read more frequently and get an idea of when people are jumping into FIRE. It comes up a lot, but you have to read a lot of posts.

But welcome to the club. I have nothing to talk about. I'm an OMYer right now.

Finally, as someone else said, since you have so much, you might want to get a bit more conservative on your allocations.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:12 PM   #19

I have $3.2M and estimate $80-90K per year including taxes and health insurance. Some years will be more or less depending on travel plans. Firecalc gives me 100% success every way I do it. With $4M+ you should do great, and even be able to fly first class when you travel. I have licensing issues that will make it tough to go back, and anyway I can no longer stomach the stress.

Go out and enjoy.

EastWest Gal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:20 AM   #20
Dryer sheet aficionado

Are you including SS in the $80-90K/year number? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
I have $3.2M and estimate $80-90K per year including taxes and health insurance. Some years will be more or less depending on travel plans. Firecalc gives me 100% success every way I do it. With $4M+ you should do great, and even be able to fly first class when you travel. I have licensing issues that will make it tough to go back, and anyway I can no longer stomach the stress.

Go out and enjoy.