Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-31-2013, 06:28 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I love threads like this one, there is always something new to add to our FIRE toolkit. DW cuts my hair with clippers, which I love but she hates....LOL

We are starting to sell stuff via Craigslist with the help of our son since we will be downsizing from 1700sq ft to 1000sq ft (yahoo!!!)
JBmadera is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2013, 07:17 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBmadera View Post
.....We are starting to sell stuff via Craigslist with the help of our son since we will be downsizing from 1700sq ft to 1000sq ft (yahoo!!!)
We downsized from 3700 sf (in two homes) to our current 2000 sf home a couple years ago after having been in our main home for over 25 years. What a chore! But we did get rid of a lot of stuff via Craigslist - it was great. In some cases, the buyers help move the items out of the house and into their vehicle (freezer, file cabinets, etc.).

With respect to the rest of the thread, we too have done many of the cost cutting actions mentioned. I don't deprive us of anything but try to get a good deal in everything. And now that I'm retired, I view it as a bit of a game.

The one thing I have learned over the years that was previously mentioned is for capital expenditures to consider total ownership cost rather than just initial cost - so today we tend to look at both initial cost and quality more evenly than we did in earlier years.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:20 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

I definitely need to declutter my life, but I am always leery about conducting transaction on Craigslist.
bondi688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:55 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In addition to the other good ideas mentioned in the thread, I would add that tracking expenses, by itself, has been a real help to me. I write down all my expenditures on a budget sheet taped to the fridge. It forces me to pay attention. I find that I spend a lot less when I am tracking expenses closely. It becomes a sort of challenge, to see how low I can keep the numbers.

One more idea is to read books on frugality. Not only do they give you ideas, but more importantly imo, they help you to keep perspective in a culture that is always trying to sell you something. Being frugal is essentially counter-cultural, and it helps to be reminded of its importance.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:33 AM   #25
Dryer sheet wannabe

My wife and I have been very frugal since we got married 23 years ago, and she was even before that. We live a low consumption lifestyle as described in the book "The Millionaire Next Door". In some cases we take things to the extreme, like recycling (re-using) past Valentines Day and Anniversary Cards from our first 10 years together. We always shop for a deal and we buy nice, high quality items when we need them. Hardly ever buy anything in retail stores these days as you can usually find a better price online or used on Craigslist.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:49 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

I think a lot of this depends on how comfortable you are financially and also where you live. I (but not my SO) could live in less space... if I lived in a much more temperate climate and could be outside more of the year.

It also cuts down on clothing expense - no winter coats, no snow boots.. No snowblower, either.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:25 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Our culture as work work work buy buy buy as pointed out earlier....when i look at what we throw out (versus recyle or compost) it is about 1cubic foot every 3 weeks...while our Jones neighbors have full trash cans and cardboard boxes every single week that overflow! We don't deprive oursleves...we drink great wine, eat good healthy food and love saving!
NoOneGetsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:31 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

You can't believe all the things people buy in cold climates...4wheelers they only use to drive around the neighborhood, ski's- and the exoensive lift tix that go with that...i think when you can't enjoy warm weather you buy more..seatlle consumption is unreal
NoOneGetsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:32 AM   #29

Go to the jet self service lane when I refuel my G6.
Buy osetra rather than the beluga caviar.
Hand wash myself my Rolls Royce.
Keep my yacht speed at a steady 35 knots.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:41 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeyy_joe View Post
I don't do anything different now than I've done for the last 30 years. That's why I have enough to FIre.
+1

In our view being frugal starts with a budget, and sticking with a budget over the long haul. In fact, our frugality in the early years and over time is why we can afford to be a little less frugal now.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:22 AM   #31

Lot's of great ideas presented already. One that we will be trying is co-operative living. Basically the sharing of the house, shared services (e.g.utilities), shared stuff e.g. (furniture), etc. Not sure how we will like it but we have been considering it for a while. Why does everyone have their own lawnmower, tools, etc ? We will only make a small dent in some of these shared things since it will be 4 of us and clearly more people could participate. But, it seems like a step in the right direction.
savory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:27 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeyy_joe View Post
I don't do anything different now than I've done for the last 30 years. That's why I have enough to FIre.
+2
keegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:38 PM   #33

We've done none of the things specifically listed by OP, however we religiously live below our means without depriving ourselves of what we enjoy such as traveling, eating out and going to the movies.

But to answer the original question, we live in a house that is a third of the price that the mortgage broker said we could afford, we keep our cars until they are no longer economically the right thing to do, and biggest of all we fired our financial advisor and are now DIY investors. That last change alone is saving us thousands each year.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:59 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I'm not going to make a list, but I've done many of the things already mentioned. I definitely shop more carefully and try to buy good quality items at a discount. I have disciplined myself to separate wants from needs. For example, I no longer need to delegate cleaning my home.

One of the most important things I do is to budget. Right now I am considering getting custom slipcovers made for my living room furniture, but the budget says "no". Never mind, I can look forward to buying them in the future (perhaps after the car is paid for).

Another is to reduce the temptation to spend frivolously. So I avoid malls and junk mail, both paper and electronic. I also try to use frequent flyer points and loyalty points to my advantage. For example, last year I had a free Caribbean cruise and a long distance flight. Just recently I got a superb new set of cookware for free.

As I live miles from most family members, there is little reason to buy souvenirs on trips. You know, the item you buy abroad because it would be a perfect gift for someone, and you buy another one for yourself because it's a bargain, and the bus is leaving so you have to make your mind up, and when you get home, you realize how hideous it is? Well, I'm done with that kind of impulse buying. I can now explore an interesting market and come out with nothing but a photograph. Ten years ago I would have bought jewelry, but I have enough.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:02 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Friday we bought some art we liked via Craigslist - paid the asked for price, which was about 1/4 art show price. Saturday morning yard sales gleaned a goodly amount of Roundup and applicator for $3, later a thrift store had it's semi-annual 1/2 off sale - scored bags of clothes and she scored Wallace silverplate and platters and such for her mall space. Spent about 1/2 what we spent Friday on Saturday. Monday we will be looking at funding 1/2 a new construction house as an investment - different than our normal lending, should be entertaining. Anticipate spending much more on that adventure, but it's really just about the same as buying $1 T shirts.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:03 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOneGetsIt View Post
Our culture as work work work buy buy buy as pointed out earlier....when i look at what we throw out (versus recyle or compost) it is about 1cubic foot every 3 weeks...while our Jones neighbors have full trash cans and cardboard boxes every single week that overflow! We don't deprive oursleves...we drink great wine, eat good healthy food and love saving!
This is a perfect example of how people are very individual in what they value and what they consider a waste of money. Me? I've saved a ton of money by not drinking alcohol. I think it is a total waste and would never spend anything on it whatsoever. On the other hand, I wouldn't ever consider not paying for trash service.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:19 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Taking public transportation or biking could possibly cut down on auto insurance, definitely on gas. Drying clothes on a rack or outside when the weather is good.
PawPrint53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:36 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I love it! And don't forget, a 2-carat diamond does not necessarily cost 2x as much as a 1-carat diamond of similar quality. Sometimes it is quite a bit less than 2x.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post
Go to the jet self service lane when I refuel my G6.
Buy osetra rather than the beluga caviar.
Hand wash myself my Rolls Royce.
Keep my yacht speed at a steady 35 knots.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:38 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

I am not that frugal by many people's standard, but this is of no concern to me since I still lived well below my means and attained FI in my 30's. I don't waste money on luxurious cars or houses which are of no interest to me. I don't buy or keep anything that is neither functional, beautiful, nor a family heirloom. I keep clutter at a strict minimum. To avoid temptation, I don't watch TV commercials, filter out internet ads and commercial emails, and immediately recycle all the commercial stuff coming through the mail. I don't pay for the convenience of having someone do something I can do myself (no financial advisor, tax preparer, house cleaner, gardener, etc...).
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:42 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

being new gadget averse, using up./ wear out your stuff, brown bagging your lunch, driving a car that gets 35+ mpg, bag cable and put up a tv antenna....

staying healthy, exercise, maintain a healthy weight...
keegs is offline   Reply With Quote