Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-17-2013, 11:20 AM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

1. Mortgage paid off.

2. Almost never use cc.

3. Still have 13 year old IBM NetVista pc, chugging along.

4. Own car repairs when possible.

5. Stock up (way up) on good beer when it's on sale.

6. Happy hour.

7. coupons for restaurants.

8. Do all my own landscaping.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2013, 11:42 AM   #102
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWeinel View Post
The precise things a frugal person does or does not do vary by person. BUT, IMHO, the common factor is that we each recognize that, **THIS DOLLAR** (in my hand), I can only spend one time. Then it is gone forever. There may be more (next payday, next retirement check, whatever), but THAT one is gone. Period. When you realize that, you kind of think, is [this opportunity] the one where I want to spend that dollar. Cause I only get one chance.

I think that at least subconsciously guides us frugal folk.
+1
Jgot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:31 PM   #103
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
2. Almost never use cc.
I think it depends whether this is frugal or not. I use a CC for almost all routine expenses, paid in full each month and get 1.5% cash back for using it. That's better than CD rates. I have never carried balance on a CC though.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:49 PM   #104
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
I.... I use a CC for almost all routine expenses, paid in full each month and get 1.5% cash back for using it. ......
I get 2% at Fidelity Nah,nah.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:25 AM   #105
Recycles dryer sheets

The most important things we've done are maximizing retirement savings every year, spending less than we bring in, and we reduced debt to just a mortgage which we refi'd last year.

Next big thing to specify spending cuts was put together a spreadsheet detailing our monthly expenses, also use mint.com for honest budget tracking.

We cut some unneccessary expenses.
Reduced our insurance, cable, and any other fixed costs that we could.
Use cash back credit cards for most expenses.
Right now we're clearing out clutter and donating, selling, recycling or throwing away stuff we don't use anymore/ever.

Our last bastion of spending cuts that we can improve upon are food and discretionary spending. We sometimes overbuy at the grocery store and end up having to throw away some food that spoils. Also, we're not fat, but we don't miss any meals. Our restaurant spending is probably way too high.
fanmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:58 AM   #106
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm working on maxing out my savings while I can. I don't pay health insurance because I'm under 26, so I'm putting away all the money I would have paid.

Boyfriend and I do pay for internet, but because we work from home and own a business, it's tax deductible. We keep cable and pay $15 a month for Gamefly because we're both big gamers, and it's cheaper to pay $15 than buy a new game, or go out to find entertainment. We share an apartment with my older brother though, so cable and internet bill, which we bundle, is split in half to about $50 a month.

With this set up, we're only spending about $45 a month on entertainment. We never feel the need for a movie night or to go out, because we both have all we need here at home. Without television to fill work breaks during the day, going out to lunch can be tempting, but flipping to an interesting documentary or episode of Doctor Who definitely encourages us to head to the pantry instead :P

Have all of my bills, including CC set to auto pay the full bill each month, and we use them as much as possible. We weren't able to get direct cash back because we're just building our credit, but the rewards points are redeemable for cash, so just as well! Then we make sure to put away everything but a few hundred dollars after rent, and refuse to do anything above that.
Arifriekinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:30 PM   #107
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arifriekinel View Post
We weren't able to get direct cash back because we're just building our credit, but the rewards points are redeemable for cash, so just as well! Then we make sure to put away everything but a few hundred dollars after rent, and refuse to do anything above that.
Great work at your age!

If you live near a Costco, the membership comes with a free American Express card and gives you cash back once a year - it might be an easy way to build your credit. You would also save on food (probably) since you are cooking at home all the time.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:38 PM   #108
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinker25 View Post
Great work at your age!

If you live near a Costco, the membership comes with a free American Express card and gives you cash back once a year - it might be an easy way to build your credit. You would also save on food (probably) since you are cooking at home all the time.
Thanks! I do live near one, I didn't know they offered a card! My mom was a member of Costco when I was younger because she was buying food for me, my siblings, and our cousins, she couldn't buy in less than bulk :P

That's something to consider! I have a bit of credit from paying off student loans, but I got those out of the way first thing, so they didn't have a lot of time to help, but it made it easier to get a CC
Arifriekinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:58 PM   #109
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I get 2% at Fidelity Nah,nah.
+1 but Escape by Discover. I figure that I spend $29k a year and get $580 benefit a year, less the $65 annual fee.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:44 AM   #110
Dryer sheet wannabe

great thread

came from farmer parents with dad in the military for many years. so I know how to reuse, recycle, repurpose everything to do with surviving on a farm situation. I apply it all thru my life.

frugal. you bet.

but I live great. we shop for the best price to fit what we require.

Use my CC card and make that money work for me. Just got a $100 rewards card in the mail last week after redeeming points. card paid off each month of course.

I am a hunter. deer, duck fill my freezer. Fisherman also and best fish fry around.

I raise a hog and put it in the freezer.

simple country person doing what it takes to save money at every turn but having a blast doing it.
and being frugal is getting me more and more toward that early retirement I am wanting now.
SoutheastSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:25 AM   #111

I married a man who can fix, build, and do anything! I do all the research for the good deal on the materials and he does it....I am the helper though
I can't get him to give up cable or try straight talk, but I have helped him realize the wonders of the thrift store, garage sales, coupons, buying in bulk, and curb shopping
We do need to work on our eating out....I just cannot get the hang of menu planning and once a month cooking! We are having a big garden this year, let's see how we do!
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:00 AM   #112
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrine View Post
I married a man who can fix, build, and do anything! I do all the research for the good deal on the materials and he does it....I am the helper though
LOL- I did the same thing. No mechanic bills, no house maintenance bills...

We need to work on our food budget. DH is off grains and has upped his protein by a lot, so it really seems to have affected our budget. No more simple casseroles, soup and bread meals, and other kinds of stretchers.
hausfrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:04 AM   #113
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hausfrau View Post
LOL- I did the same thing. No mechanic bills, no house maintenance bills...
My parents did a wonderful job raising us, but if I have any *one* regret about my upbringing, it's that I didn't grow up around anyone who was handy. My dad was a lot of good and useful things, but "handyman" was never one of them. A lot of folks (historically, mostly boys) grew up helping Dad fix things, work under the hood, that sort of thing... I didn't. It's a skill I wish I had. I suppose I have time to learn now, but still...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:09 AM   #114
Dryer sheet wannabe

skill sets are very important in saving money.

the more you know, the less you rely on a service that cost bucks
SoutheastSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:29 AM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
My parents did a wonderful job raising us, but if I have any *one* regret about my upbringing, it's that I didn't grow up around anyone who was handy. My dad was a lot of good and useful things, but "handyman" was never one of them. A lot of folks (historically, mostly boys) grew up helping Dad fix things, work under the hood, that sort of thing... I didn't. It's a skill I wish I had. I suppose I have time to learn now, but still...
You can learn ziggy....Pinterest, DIY blogs. I am making our own garden walkways with a few bags or cement and a "cottage walkway" mold from loews....the stone people wanted $2000 for stones and labor!
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:57 AM   #116
Moderator Emeritus

I answered this thread back on the first page, but yesterday it came to mind. I was talking to Frank, who innocently mentioned his subscription to a magazine. Suddenly I had an unexpected, huge knee-jerk negative emotional reaction. Why? Because for the past 50+ years, I have not subscribed to a single magazine or newspaper because I felt they cost more than I could afford.

Yes, gang, although I subscribed to professional journals because I had to, the last magazine I subscribed to was "Seventeen Magazine" back in the early 1960's.

Now that I have the time and money to enjoy such subscriptions, I looked into them again. And fate being as it is, we have no more daily (paper) newspaper in New Orleans. Most magazines are ridiculously expensive for what you get, IMO, and not a good value. So, I still do not subscribe to anything.

Another policy I have is to never spend even one cent to access any online websites. That has always been a matter of pride for me. My thinking on that has been that everything is online and available for free somewhere, if I just look hard enough. But after years of making this my policy, maybe it is time to loosen up those pursestrings.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:39 AM   #117
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoutheastSam View Post
.........I raise a hog and put it in the freezer............
Doesn't it get awfully cold...and lonely?
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:46 AM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Another policy I have is to never spend even one cent to access any online websites. That has always been a matter of pride for me. My thinking on that has been that everything is online and available for free somewhere, if I just look hard enough. But after years of making this my policy, maybe it is time to loosen up those pursestrings.
I think in the early days of the dotcom boom, most web-based businesses thought they could create a business model where they could offer all the content free, and make up for it in advertising revenues. But as it turned out, for the first few years after the bust it turned out only a few sites could really pull this off. Most of them didn't add enough value, or contribute things that couldn't be obtained elsewhere, and went under. That became even more true after applications like Ad-Block and pop up blockers became more prevalent; they are the DVRs of the online content world in that they enable the consumer to bypass the advertising that's paying the costs of providing the "free" content.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:58 AM   #119
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
That became even more true after applications like Ad-Block and pop up blockers became more prevalent; they are the DVRs of the online content world in that they enable the consumer to bypass the advertising that's paying the costs of providing the "free" content.
On the topic of DVR's, I got my first one about a month ago from Cox Cable and thought I had "hit the big time" finally. But as much as I loathe ads, I find that I hardly use it. I forget that I even have it. The political comedy show that I love, that is on at 2 AM only and was keeping me up too late every night, doesn't seem nearly as funny when I watch it at 7 PM. And American Idol? I want to watch it when it is on, instead of waiting until later when everyone knows who was eliminated.

Hmmm. Guess I am just too set in my ways. Anyway, I am seriously thinking of asking Cox if they would just take their DVR back.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:59 AM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arifriekinel View Post
I'm working on maxing out my savings while I can. I don't pay health insurance because I'm under 26, so I'm putting away all the money I would have paid.
You should thank your parents frequently for footing your health insurance bill. The law changed to *allow* them to carry you on their insurance... but didn't obligate them. They are being very generous and you should thank them often.

Many young adults are not so fortunate.
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote