What Would You Do?

WhatToDo

Confused about dryer sheets
Never posted on a forum before so please be kind! I am 50 yrs. old - have worked in education for 24 years - can return with a full pension (although very small) at 55.

I have been off on Disability for the past two years due to degenerating discs in my neck and am on my 3rd attempt to go back to work. I've been told pain is not a disability. I beg to differ!

I enjoy my job but have found for the last several years it is not at all as busy as it used to be and I spend hours a day with absolutely nothing to do except babysit students on spares. I do enjoy the students but the days are very long!

I think I have decided now is the time to pull the plug and pay attention to my health. I know how I feel now but don't know how I will feel 5 years from now. My DH will provide all health benefits as well as a salary to me so I will be able to continue to save until Canada Pension takes over. As he is self-employed we will be able to travel whenever we wish.

Am I the only one who is feeling guilty (crazy) for walking away after 24 years?

Welcome, WhatToDo, I am a longtime educator and plan to retire in Dec 2013 at 59. After working with children all my adult life and learning from the successes and mistakes of others outside the classroom, IMHO only you and your husband can decide what is best for your unique situation. Look at all the factors involved and discuss every aspect with your husband. Make a plan (which it sounds like you have done), accept your feelings, work through them and move on to a wonderful life and don't look back. I hope your health improves and best wishes.

I work in early education and am getting so mentally and physically tired. I also have to deal with chronic pain and it is made worse by stress. I am in the admin side and we are also a nonprofit, so I feel responsible for everyone's well being, especially when all kinds of regs take up our funds and then we can't pay what we should. I will probably quit in 2-3 years, and yes, I feel a bit guilty for leaving early. It's going to be hard for someone to take over, but everyone's replaceable, I think. It sounds like you have good options, and if you are feeling as you describe, I wouldn't think twice about retiring! And WELCOME!:)

Health comes first and being in constant pain is undermining all energy and joy.
DH has spinal issues and we understand.
He finds that it pays off in pain reduction to do a lot of exercising. But it takes time.
So we are looking forward to ER in 2013 and plan to include a lot of exercising into our daily routines.

Do not feel guilty. You do what is best for you + family. You have given to your school + students their share = all that was written in the contract while you were in contract. It is a fair deal. So you have the right to walk away without guilt.

Well, I did it! As of this Friday, September 28 I will be retired! It was one of the hardest decisions I've ever had to make after 24 years of being a high school librarian with the same school board. In the end I have decided to listen to my health. Now I just can't wait until Friday to begin my next chapter!

Thank you all so much for your encouragement and kind words!

Congratulations on making your decision to retire. I hope you find improved health and enjoy life in retirement. I've been in retirement land for 2+ years now and just love it!

Welcome to the board. :greetings10:

Welcome and Congratulations!

Your health is important, definitely put that first. If you are able to get your pain managed in the future, you can always do some part time volunteering or something similar if you want to stay involved with kids.

Congratulations, WhaToDo. Good luck of the next chapter of your life.

Cass

Back
Top Bottom