Join Early Retirement Today

Where to put 300k?
Old 10-29-2012, 09:20 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Where to put 300k?

Hi, new to the site. Rolled over 300k to my Schwab IRA. No debt. Thinking about index funds?...anyone.
oldnews is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2012, 09:35 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I just made a replying post in the other thread, but will copy it here.

Schwab is one of 4 brokerages that I have accounts with.

Schwab has several ETF funds with very low expense ratios, such as 0.04% or 0.07%. You can buy domestic total market, or large cap, small cap, international, or emerging market ETFs, etc... As to selecting the right composition for yourself, you may need to do some reading.

PS. As you have an account with them, trading of their ETFs is commission-free.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:17 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

what was it in before you rolled it over?
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:52 PM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

saved.
joebloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:15 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

It really depends on what your personal target AA is and how your existing AA relates to your target AA. There are loads of good, no-load, low-cost equity and bond index funds available as well as good balanced and target date funds, but a lot depends on what your target AA is (and your target AA depends on your time horizon and risk tolerance).

While I own equity and bond index funds, if I were to own a balanced fund I would look at Vanguard Star (which I have owned in the past), Vanguard Wellington and Vanguard Wellesley.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:45 PM   #6
Dryer sheet wannabe

Decided on Disney...(DIS)...bought 5500 shares for 280,000. Pays a dividend, incredibly good revenue stream, just bought LucasArts.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:15 PM   #7

From index funds to DIS. Sounds like a movie. Best wishes.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I just made a replying post in the other thread, but will copy it here.

Schwab is one of 4 brokerages that I have accounts with.

Schwab has several ETF funds with very low expense ratios, such as 0.04% or 0.07%. You can buy domestic total market, or large cap, small cap, international, or emerging market ETFs, etc... As to selecting the right composition for yourself, you may need to do some reading.

PS. As you have an account with them, trading of their ETFs is commission-free.
+1
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:45 PM   #9
Dryer sheet wannabe

something wrong with DIS?
Old 10-30-2012, 08:50 PM   #10

I think the Bogleheads would say you are now in Disney Land.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:58 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnews
I think a lot of people here would say buying that much of a single stock is quite risky. "Putting all your eggs in one basket."

SIS
ShortInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:14 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortInSeattle View Post
I think a lot of people here would say buying that much of a single stock is quite risky. "Putting all your eggs in one basket."

SIS
Nothing wrong with Disney. Great company.

But having such a large amount in a single ticker is foolish IMO. I hope you get lucky and it works out for you. Good luck.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:35 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I have not owned DIS, and do not follow it. So, this made me curious to take a quick look.

Compared to SPY, a surrogate for the S&P500, DIS's dividend is 1.2%, vs. SPY at 1.98%. P/E ratio of DIS is 16.6 vs SPY at 14. The growth prospect of DIS looks better than SPY according to analysts, so I guess the market gives DIS a price premium.

It is not a bad company, but it's the lack of diversification that most people would worry about. I myself never put more than 5% in any company. But it may just work out for you, who knows?

By the way, the market has been closed due to Hurricane Sandy, so how did you buy it?

PS. Out of curiosity, $280K/5500 = $50.91/share. The quoted price at Friday 10/26/02 close was $50.08.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:18 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnews View Post
Decided on Disney...(DIS)...bought 5500 shares for 280,000. Pays a dividend, incredibly good revenue stream, just bought LucasArts.
I hope you're pulling our leg. The only way you should even consider this much in one stock is if the $280,000 is about 5% of your $5.6 million portfolio. Somehow I feel someone jerking our chain.

Also, OP, are you really from the Smoky Mountains? I wonder, because you don't spell it correctly.
Bruce
Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:58 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not at all, but a little less diversification than an index fund no? You mentioned an index fund in your first post...

Like others have said, I'd never put more than 5% of my portfolio in an individual equity, no matter how wonderful and bulletproof I thought the company was/is. You never know who the next WaMu, Circuit City, Enron, Borders, Nortel, Wachovia, Lehman Bros., etc. may be. The list is a mile long. Best of luck...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:59 PM   #16

I would invest in CDs, laddered, for 10 years. If you are in your 70s or 80s, I would buy SPIAs. My view only, I know others will disagree.
Quote:
Hi, new to the site. Rolled over 300k to my Schwab IRA. No debt. Thinking about index funds?...anyone.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:41 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
I would invest in CDs, laddered, for 10 years. If you are in your 70s or 80s, I would buy SPIAs. My view only, I know others will disagree.
Why not plunk the whole amount into Disney?
Old 11-01-2012, 07:23 PM   #18

I don't know about laddering CD's, I think you would get eaten up by inflation.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:01 PM   #19

Quote:
I was happy with 5% of my portfolio in any one individual stock. I had one or two of them that actually went to zero. You never know. I'd be happy with 100% of my portfolio in one broad based mutual fund. It's invested in lots of companies. It's not going to go to zero. As good as Disney may be, it's just one company. One big accounting glitch and your portfolio could be toast. Permanently.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:52 AM   #20

I have nothing against Disney. I am just more conservative with my investments than most participants here. It is ok to disagree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski

Why not plunk the whole amount into Disney?
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote