Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Willfully unemployed & loving it
Old 05-26-2006, 02:42 AM   #21
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Under FIRE

Kaleko, grüß dich!* Which part of my great old habitat, LA, will you be languishing in? I have surreal memories of LA during my USC student days in the eighties.* :P
Grüß dich ebenfalls, Under Fire. Subtle Bavarian touch you got there...

So you know LA... and I know a little bit about you from reading a scorcher post yesterday where you described your exit from corporate corpsedom. Wow, that was a bit too vivid for me. Had to lie down and languish for double the usual amount, like not just all day but aaalll through the night, out of sheer empathy and relief that I did get that one right when I opted for the 'I'd rather be penniless in Goa' career path.

Yeah, I'm in the middle of the 'entertainment capital of the woooor...." here. Wafting thru the streets like a ghost, barely visible, striving to be boring among millions and millions of stars or their doubles. Drove west on Santa Monica Boulevard today, radio on, high on some delusional bubbles in the air, off to the mechanic, 'cause some gang banger had pried* the lock of my car, and nothing was bothering me, because I'm free-hee, la, la, laha...* *

Just hope I never get used to it.

Kaleko

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2006, 06:44 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Kaleko
GATORS, yeah, not crocs. Only their American cousins... in the lake across your street?
Only once in the 3 1/2 years we've been here. Good size, though, at least 6 feet--got someone's dog I heard. The animal control folks moved 'im to an undisclosed location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Kaleko
Say, what made you chose the name Astromeria? It evokes a few things in me. And your Avatar shows the Taj Mahal... a building like it might exist on an astral plane.
I used the name alstroemeria on another board: alstroemerias are one of my favorite flowers, the first bunch of user names I tried were already taken (things like anhinga and odyssey), and as a word lover--and former technical writer & editor who had to deal with her share of interesting names--I tend to choose odd or hard-to-spell user names & passwords. Last year when the 10th planet was discovered (or did it turn out to be an asteroid?), I thought it should be named astromeria in my honor. That didn't happen :, so I adopted the name myself when I registered here.

We went to India a coupla years ago and took that picture of the Taj. I've been thinking of switching to another picture but haven't gotten 'round to it. Maybe one of the ones of women riding motorscooters with their saris flowing behind them.

Old 05-28-2006, 12:50 PM   #23
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by astromeria

Last year when the 10th planet was discovered (or did it turn out to be an asteroid?), I thought it should be named astromeria in my honor. That didn't happen* :, so I adopted the name myself when I registered here.

Women's contributions are still woefully underrated. Changes have to be made.

I henceforth*will refer to the 10th planet as Astromeria and urge everyone to ignore science and academia. Shouldn't be too hard, don't you think?

Kaleko - positive thinker*