Join Early Retirement Today

Working Hard Now So I Can Goof Off Later
Old 12-16-2009, 02:20 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Working Hard Now So I Can Goof Off Later

Just turned 48 a couple of days ago and find myself 14 years from SS ER but hopefully 7-8 years from true FIRE. Found this board from a link on the Motley Fool's RECF board where I'm known as decath.

I've been browsing on and off for the past month and like it here. Decided to finally jump in.

I have a pretty solid plan in place at the moment. Debt free except the mortgage and plan on retireing it (the mortgage) in 4 or less years. I currently contribute about 25% of my income to FIRE investments and plan on ramping it up higher once my wife gets a career established after being a SAHM for the past 25 years. I'm looking for about 1.5 mil before pulling the plug, thus going for a 60k income with a 4% SWR. I started my FIRE plans back in 2000. I originally planned to FIRE before 50. But alas, 2 market implosions, some bad investing decisions on my part and unrealized career expectations for DW has made me move the date forward several times.

A few personal items. 3 kids. 1 grown. 1 that graduates from college in 2010 and the last, my adopted precious girl, a freshman in HS.

We've been a single income household for most of our marriage and have yet to make a 6 figure income. However, a perenial LBYM type has enabled me to consistently contribute double digit % to 401k, IRA's and individual stocks.

"MultiEventer" is a track & field term that means one who competes in more than one track & field event. Usually a decathlete (men) or a heptathlete (women). Up until a few years ago when I injured my hip high jumping, I competed in Master's Track & Field competions around the U.S. Now I golf and mountain bike. Less stress and impact on the joints.

Professionally, I'm a System's Analyst that works on a legacy database system and does some web development.

I look forward to contributing some as work and family allows.
MultiEventer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2009, 02:22 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hey, I know you.....
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:27 PM   #3
Dryer sheet aficionado

ziggy29, Texas Hill country. Hmm.. Can't be more than one of those!
Old 12-16-2009, 03:00 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome, MultiEventer! I'm not on that board, but looking forward to reading your posts here.

Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on what you want in retirement, and the steps you need to take to accumulate a nest egg of that size.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 03:13 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the boards, ME. Your planning seems to be paying off and the next few years will fly by.

Jump in (but be careful of that hip) any time and share opinions, advice, rants, etc. like the rest of us.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:53 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Congrats on your plans.... seems like you have it under control....

You in the hill country? I guess we have another Texan on the board!!!
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:08 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

if you feel like sharing, what is your plan w/ regards to health insurance?
just wondering how that fit's in w/ your 60k/yr requirement
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:18 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Welcome and congratulations on your ability to save and invest with a single income.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:21 PM   #9
Gone but not forgotten

Welcome to the board !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:26 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Another refugee from the right wing circle j**k board, eh? Welcome, decath. Are you the one that was doing the vegan thing?

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 08:33 AM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Congrats on your plans.... seems like you have it under control....

You in the hill country? I guess we have another Texan on the board!!!
Yep. Ziggy lives in the best part of Texas. That is one of my possible retirement destinations. I love to vacation there. I live north of Dallas in a small town.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:36 AM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiEventer View Post
Ziggy lives in the best part of Texas. That is one of my possible retirement destinations.
Sorry, we're full. Feel free to put your name on the waiting list.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:50 AM   #13
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh View Post
if you feel like sharing, what is your plan w/ regards to health insurance?
just wondering how that fit's in w/ your 60k/yr requirement
Great question. My plans are to accumulate as much as possible in my HSA between now and my FIRE date. Currently, my company provides a HDHP/HSA option and I take fully advantage of. I hope to have in the neighborhood of 50k by the time I FIRE. Then, I plan to get a high deductable plan for DW and I.

However, the biggest and most important part of my health plan is to stay fit and be healthy. Both DW and are are psuedo vegans and workout regularly. Well, my wife works out regularly. I'm a work out nazi, as my co-workers call me.

By psuedo vegan, I mean that I eat vegan most of the time except on special occasions where I have some fish, wine or a dark brew. I also avoid processed sugars, white flour, caffeine, meat, dairy and salt.

Most longevity studies show that people can live quality and quantity lives by eating predominantly raw fruits and veggies. I also incorporate some grains and nuts in the diet. I heavily supplement with barley grass juice and fresh carrot juice daily.

This diet/regimine has helped me tremendously for the past 18 years as I suffered numerous sports injuries from football, basketball and track & field in my youth.

So my plan is to eat my way into FIRE and hopefully avoid high cost prescription medications and doctors visits. My dad follows a similar plan as well. At the age of 67, takes no drugs, plays Master's volleyball competitions around the US (and world) and can still bench press around 250 lbs.

I hope to emulate his example.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:52 AM   #14
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Another refugee from the right wing circle j**k board, eh? Welcome, decath. Are you the one that was doing the vegan thing?
Hey brewer. Nice to hear from you. Yes I still do the vegan thing.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Found this board from a link on the Motley Fool's RECF board where I'm known as decath.

I look forward to contributing some as work and family allows.
I remember your screen name from TMF where I used t post a lot. I was jtmitch back then. I got sick of al the political stuff on TMF and have found this board better (although I'm an aperiodic visitor here.)

Good luck and welcome aboard.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:54 PM   #16

Welcome aboard! Sounds like you are doing well.

"Working Hard Now So I Can Goof Off Later" is my plan, too.

Quote:
Ziggy lives in the best part of Texas. That is one of my possible retirement destinations. I love to vacation there.
Do you rent from Philip Sheridan?