Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-04-2014, 02:42 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
If we lived in a condo someone else would be hiring the contractors while I could be on the patio in a lounge chair with a glass of wine and a mystery novel.
It is a plus not having to deal with contractors and I fully agree with that. But moneywise, you are still paying, even if indirectly.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2014, 03:22 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sadly, it depends on the condo. I'm in a 3 person condo and we all have to do the work. Moreover it takes 3x as long, if not more, than one person making decisions.

Old 06-04-2014, 03:44 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
Sadly, it depends on the condo. I'm in a 3 person condo and we all have to do the work. Moreover it takes 3x as long, if not more, than one person making decisions.
The grass is always greener! I am sure once we are in a condo I will find plenty to miss about a single family home. But we would like to move to a larger complex where someone else does all the contractor hiring.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:53 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
The grass is always greener! I am sure once we are in a condo I will find plenty to miss about a single family home. But we would like to move to a larger complex where someone else does all the contractor hiring.
If you are not worried about rent inflation, then a nice apartment beats the average condo.

Condo is a great example of too many cooks.

There are so many new buildings going up or just opening in Seattle that the era of very rapid rent rises soon must come to a halt, at least for this cycle.

Ha
Old 06-04-2014, 03:54 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

While we only have one home and no debt, I've come to realize that no debt doesn't mean no bills! We have things like various insurances, cable and internet, too. It seems like everything keeps going up, especially medical.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:09 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

For a simple dwelling, it seems to me a motorhome is not a bad choice. You travel with the season, and if you do not like your neighbors or the management, you simply move on. And unless you buy an extravagant model, used motorhomes in decent conditions are often so cheap that if you push one down a cliff every 5-10 years or so, it is still cheap living.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:17 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

To the OP, the key to ER or any secure retirement is a full understanding of both your expenses and income streams. While it can be discouraging when you first begin tracking expenses, it will help you prepare for upcoming retirement decisions.

You didn't mention the income streams that you will be able to access in the next few years. However, they could include dividends, pensions, SS, sale of house(s) and spending down the investment principal. Once you determine how to turn your assets into income you can compare to your expenses. Reducing annual expenses is powerful with each $1,000 reduction in expenses meaning that your 'nest egg' requirements would drop by $25-35k.

Best of luck in moving towards retirement in the coming years.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:35 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey guys. I've done the FIRE cal and I'm fine. I was just irritated and complaining at the cost of some of my expenses. I called my cable and Internet provider today. I threatened to cancel and they dropped my rate by $50 a month.

I am married, my wife works. She will have SS as well. I will also have a small....in my eyes....pension.

As far as renting....uh, no way. We are in Florida numerous times a year. Condo is in a very nice golf course gated community ...on the course...with wonderful clay courts which I spend a lot of time on. Our kids also come down several times a year.

Daughter, son in law, and new grand kid live behind us in Ohio also on a golf course. Might downsize it and buy a condo here in our community. Doubt we would ever sell everything here and go full time to Florida. All of my and wife's family are here within 12 miles of each other.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:53 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Glad to hear that you ready for RE. I have been trying to lower expenses for a few years, but can't seem to get much below $65-70k. I read lots of finance blogs with families living on $20-30k, and wonder how I could lower expenses that much.

Enjoy the golf course homes. Sounds like a nice plan.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:56 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hey which golf course community on Columbus is that?
Old 06-05-2014, 09:43 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Legends CC in Ft Myers, Westchester in Cols.