Join Early Retirement Today

Yep, I'm new...
Old 12-15-2006, 02:57 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Yep, I'm new...

Hello Everyone. Like many of you, I stumbled across this forum while searching for information about early retirement and how to deal with it, both financially and personally. I've been reading the forum off and on for the past couple months and thought it was time to get involved. After leaving a nice 20-year career at a major corporation, I was "given" the opportunity to leave with a decent severance package and my dignity well intact. Having been aggressive savers for many years and with the stock market at record highs (this was late 1999), I grabbed the opportunity and proceeded to become "sort of semi-retired" and began operating a small part-time business. I don't make very much money, but I have fun and manage to hang around with lots of interesting people.

For the past five or so years, we have weathered the stock market problems and continue to motor along happily as a semi-retired couple. At this point, we don't work because we have to, but because we want to and like what we are doing...me in my little business and my Wife at a part-time job. We have flexibility in our schedules, get to sleep in most mornings and travel frequently. Life is pretty good. The only problem has been an ongoing, nagging thought that there is something wrong with what we are doing. Almost feeling guilty about it. I kept thinking "there must be others out there like me....how do they deal with all this?" Of course, that's what eventually led me to this forum. It seems I'm not the only person out there who thinks about the same stuff I do! I look forward to reading and learning more in the future.

So here's what I know for sure...Save your money; live below your means; minimize debt; pay your bills on time (and in full if you can); learn about investing; minimize investment risk and save your money (ooops, I think I said that already.) What I don't know is what to tell people when they ask what I "do" (I have since read comments on this forum about how others deal with this question.) I also still have to get more comfortable how much is "enough" money. I think I've got that figured out, but am still learning. There are many other things to discuss, but those will come out in the future.

I look forward to learning more.

Thanks.
lowflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Yep, I'm new...
Old 12-15-2006, 03:14 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome to the board lowflyer ...

I'm not a frequent poster but monitor it closely for the reasons you have articulated.

You will find it helpful -- and often simply fun to read.

playaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 03:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyer
What I don't know is what to tell people when they ask what I "do" (I have since read comments on this forum about how others deal with this question.)
We have many creative answers for this question and I use a lot of them depending on what mood I'm in.

What do you do?

I started off saying - Anything I want.

Then I started answering - A Trout Fisherman

Progressed to

Permanently Unemployed, Investment Manager, Travel Agent (My own), etc. etc.

Welcome aboard!
Old 12-15-2006, 04:00 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek

Quote:
What I don't know is what to tell people when they ask what I "do"
Welcome to this place. Everybody got to be somewhere.

Since "it's none of your beeswax", is no longer acceptable in polite company, I used, at one time, "I'm a phase evaluator" and leave it at that. Of course, only you will know that you are currently evaluating this (or the next) phase of your life.

BTW, you seem to have some well thought out ideas about ER. Mine were not nearly as clear as yours seem to be.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 04:08 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

You could make up a business card with the title:

Leisure Systems Analyst

DRiP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 04:54 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Let me take another shot at this...I'm not really all that worried about what to tell people. In fact, I've actually got a couple things that I "do" (with those darn business cards to go along with it!) That being the case, maybe I really do want people to know that I'm "semi-retired", without sounding like I'm bragging. Should anyone be embarassed to say that? We should be proud (but not too proud) I suppose.

So the point might be that we'd like to tell people about our ER life, but sometimes don't like all the extra discussion and assumptions that go along with it. Just a thought.
lowflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 05:31 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Lowflyer,
I think I've experienced a similar thought. I don't tell people what a great time I'm having because I don't want to appear to be saying I'm having a great life and you are chained to your desk. When asked how things are going I might say something like "I'm living the life". It depends upon the person. I think you have to feel out the situation and see what the person is open to.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:35 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek

Quote:
Should anyone be embarrassed to say that?
If so, that person probably should not be here with all of these ERers. Maybe it just me, but I'm confused by your being so uncomfortable with ER. 99% of the folks that I talk to are quite envious of what I "do", or at least that what they say.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 06:53 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyer
Should anyone be embarassed to say that? We should be proud (but not too proud) I suppose.

So the point might be that we'd like to tell people about our ER life, but sometimes don't like all the extra discussion and assumptions that go along with it. Just a thought.
You could just go by what my 'tag' line below says: "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

I normally don't say things just to piss people off.....well, OK I do.....but, I still live by that quote!!! If people don't like the current fact that I'm FIREing in a few months....or after that time, that I am FIRE'd.....TOUGH! I'm not concerned. The facts are the facts, and that's that. I would hope they'd be happy for me, but if not....to bad.....FIRE'd Life Goes On!!! 8)
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 07:35 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

I know what you mean lowflyer. ER is a fun thing to discuss with people who feel the same way about life, but it is no fun to be put on the defensive about your life style to folks who don't understand. Sometimes I guess we just have to get to know people before we can let them in on the whole grand truth (kind of like a cult )