Join Early Retirement Today

Yet another OMYer
Old 07-31-2016, 07:03 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yet another OMYer

Speaking of politics, on behalf of the country, thanks for working a third of your year just to pay all of those taxes! (Sorry, just trying to motivate you :-)). It's amazing you have both a high household income and low expenses. Well done. I can understand the reluctance to quit because it sounds like your married life is focused on work, which is something you built over a long period and a lot to just chuck. We're kind of the same, though when I see your salaries, I wonder about our sanity for being that way.

What if you set a goal to go on a long vacation together to somewhere you really want to go and see how you do? Or, just keep OMYing until something changes and you "know." Congrats on your options.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2016, 07:09 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, pretty sweet!

One day you will "have enough" or get "pissed off" one too many times and then you'll know -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:50 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2008 View Post
In case of such a permanent stock market crash or natural disaster that wipes out all accounts:
WOuld your jobs still exist or pay?
Would you be able to buy anything worthwile with money?
In such worst case I'd rather have memories of some happy years.
You would still be better off than most others.
Winemaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 02:04 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

OK, I took a leap today. I gave my boss unofficial notice that I plan on leaving next year (probably around February). Only six months to go and I have quite a bit of vacation and comp time so it should hopefully go by quickly.
geeky_grrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 03:10 PM   #25

Congratulations, geekygrrl! Enjoy thinking about what's next over the coming months and I see you've already joined the Class of 2017 - good for you!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:55 PM   #26

Bravo

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 04:56 PM   #27
Dryer sheet aficionado

@geeky_grrl -

Did you achieve escape velocity? I'm in a similar compensation / age / portfolio situation, and am trying to gather success stories :^).
movingrightalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 06:49 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

My last day was in February. My SO succumbed to OMY though (he did have a lot more stock vesting this year than I did though so he had more incentive to stay another year). I'm hoping to convince him to leave next year so we can move someplace sunnier.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:59 PM   #29
Dryer sheet aficionado

Congrats!
movingrightalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 06:12 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeky_grrl View Post
I'm hoping to convince him to leave next year so we can move someplace sunnier.
That's a valid reason for FIREing, even if you didn't dislike your job.
Old 05-06-2017, 02:57 PM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nice! I wish you the best in retirement.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 03:44 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations on your Retirement!

Maybe a couple of well planned vacations in locations you would be interested in moving to would move DH towards taking the leap
evilanne is offline   Reply With Quote
The cost of candour?
Old 05-06-2017, 10:58 PM   #33

The cost of candour?

Quote:
OK, I took a leap today. I gave my boss unofficial notice that I plan on leaving next year (probably around February).
What impact, if any, did the advance notice of your departure have upon your year-end bonus?

One hears anecdotes of people on their way out receiving lesser amounts. It probably shouldn't happen (bonuses are supposed to reflect past performance, rather than incentivizing potential future performance), but comp pools are finite and many managers prefer to allocate higher amounts to employees who are staying. Do you think that happened in your case?
Old 05-07-2017, 09:52 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
What impact, if any, did the advance notice of your departure have upon your year-end bonus?

One hears anecdotes of people on their way out receiving lesser amounts. It probably shouldn't happen (bonuses are supposed to reflect past performance, rather than incentivizing potential future performance), but comp pools are finite and many managers prefer to allocate higher amounts to employees who are staying. Do you think that happened in your case?
I don't think my bonus changed because of the notice (it was slightly higher than the year before). Bonuses are pretty formulaic at my old Megacorp - the base number is calculated from salary, job level, and performance ratings for the past year. The manager only had a few percent of the pool that was discretionary. I may have waited if bonuses were more discretionary. I did wait until the bonus check hit my bank account to give HR my formal notice.
Old 05-07-2017, 05:07 PM   #35

Thanks! That all makes sense. Good to hear that you were treated fairly.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:42 PM   #36
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
My last day was in February. My SO succumbed to OMY though (he did have a lot more stock vesting this year than I did though so he had more incentive to stay another year). I'm hoping to convince him to leave next year so we can move someplace sunnier.
Wonderful! Congratulations!!

Tell us, how have the first few months of early retirement been for you? Were they what you expected? What is better? What is worse?
Foodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:49 PM   #37

Well done, congratulations!
Now have fun and enjoy.
And help DH to enjoy his time off work.
chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:06 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodie View Post
Wonderful! Congratulations!!

Tell us, how have the first few months of early retirement been for you? Were they what you expected? What is better? What is worse?
I've been loving it so far. I've been spending a lot of time walking, reading, and cooking. I'm eating healthier, getting more exercise, and sleeping way better. I haven't gotten as many projects done as I had envisioned but I'm not all that stressed about it. My house is just as messy as before though - I always blamed my poor housekeeping on lack of time but it turns out I just hate cleaning and there is always something else I'd rather do.

The only annoyance I've had is people trying to give me j*bs (paid or volunteer) but I'm pretty good at saying no so it hasn't been that bad.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:06 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Update Please!!
How was your first full year off? Did your SO finally join you? Make it to some place sunny?
Old 10-11-2018, 07:42 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

I'd love to hear an update as well!
We have not pulled the plug yet and are in that "hanging on" zone with plans to leave after the first of the year but our feet are feeling pretty cold right now. We've discussed me closing my practice and my DH staying on another year...
steady saver is offline   Reply With Quote