Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-25-2014, 12:22 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

You can't get any of that work time back. Life is short. Do what makes you happy. For me, I would not do that part time gig. It is totally up to you and what you would like to do. Good luck with your decision.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2014, 01:04 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Keep the money out of the equation. Is this something you would enjoy doing? Would you do it for free? Are you looking for a slower transition out of the work force, or are you so burnt out that you need to get completely out?

meekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:33 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

This is a tough one. Retirement after working so hard and achieving financial independence should be an act of celebration. If you are FI and have a pretty good idea of how you want to spend your days after RE the only reason to continue working is because you really want to. Trying a new position only makes sense if you feel the need for a bigger cushion(OMY) or you think you would be happier in the new job than pursuing other activities in full retirement. As a fellow MD in a similar position I continue working because of a handfull of cherished projects and people that outweigh the negatives. Key thing is to truly do what you want to do and remember you can change your mind if you determine a decision is a mistake. Worst option is agonizing while changing nothing.
Old 07-24-2016, 10:09 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A work BS rant, leaving it all behind for good.

Originally I set my retirement date to 1 day after my 55th birthday, in 2014. There was a desparate need for our practice at our secondary site. I negotiated substantial pay increase to fill in that position for a few months.

I posted my retirement year as 2015--I went part time casual at the beginning of last year, filling in a few holes in the schedule. My goal was to "help out" 4-5 days a month and to train my replacement. That never happened. No replacement, always being asked to do more. Refusing most of the time didn't matter to the group.

They replaced a pediatrician with a nurse practitioner, but not just any nurse practitioner but one who started out not very competent then got in a major MVA at the end of her first month. It clearly was about "insert body into schedule slot". The nurse practitioner from our group who wanted the job was refused it, though she was very very good. The duplicity in mid level and upper level management in this company is astounding. So, tired of being asked to do three times as much work as I wanted, and mostly refusing, and with all my friends gone, I have stopped caring about sustaining the practice until they hire enough practitioners. It will never happen.

July 31 is my last day ever "filling in".

There is a point for most of us where we realize that work gets in the way of our life. A part of me realized this the first day I worked after finishing my training. Blessed are those who feel their work is part of who they are. For me it was not a huge part of my identity. What I hold dearest is the arts--music, theater, music, painting, music, literature, music, music , music. That has been the theme that has shown up in my life, over and over again. It's weird to be a doctor and not feel like a doctor. Over and over, music is where I keep coming back to.

I kept waiting for my position to be filled. Never happened. Other people left. No positions filled. Our medical director has two feet into corporate management, one foot in the practice. His job is secure when our practice disappears (talk about comflict of interest) The secretaries/billers long ago knew their jobs of 20+ years would disappear. No one is invested in this practice any longer. The nearby academic center is positioning itself to take this practice over, so nothing bad will happen to the patients.

July 31st will mark the last day I do anything as a physician. It feels very strange, even though my passions are elsewhere. I got accustomed to using the MD title to open doors in the rest of my life. The funny thing is, there are no doors I need opened any longer.

My personal psychological checklist for leaving all medical work forever:

Happy with what I have done and tried to do √
Financial independence √
Kid out of college √
32 year marriage more solid than ever √
Enjoyable paid for home, time to upgrade and update √
Travel plans √
Many musical activities already happening and more to come √
Generally healthy, need to lose weight and exercise more--will happen!

It wasn't OMY syndrome. It was OM month, every month. Never again.

Yay!
Old 07-24-2016, 10:44 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
A work BS rant, leaving it all behind for good.

Yay!
Great news! I wish you the best!
Old 07-24-2016, 11:27 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-24-2016, 12:55 PM   #47

EastWest, wow.... Parts of your post are similar to what DW has been going through with getting her replacement on board (luckily, things are looking better on that end, finally).

Kudos for you in cutting the agony. Enjoy!
Old 07-24-2016, 03:12 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats EastWest, enjoy the rest of your summer, and then fall, winter, spring, repeat.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-24-2016, 03:48 PM   #49

Congrats EWG - I've followed your transition to part time and am excited to see *you* excited about transitioning to full-time-retired. Enjoy your music, home remodel projects, and healthier lifestyle.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:57 PM   #50

Thank you rodi.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-24-2016, 07:23 PM   #51

Very happy for you EWG! Enjoy your full retirement for many years to come.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:29 PM   #52
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations. You've earned it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 07-24-2016, 08:21 PM   #53

Good for you, welcome to the club!
Old 07-25-2016, 12:37 AM   #54

Congrats!
Make sure you are out of town for August.
Old 07-25-2016, 03:14 AM   #55
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rothman View Post
Congrats EastWest, enjoy the rest of your summer, and then fall, winter, spring, repeat.

@Rothman: Or, for us snowbirds, its "Spring, summer, fall, spring".
Old 07-25-2016, 05:00 AM   #56

Well you certainly did not rush things EastWestGal. Perhaps a new name to be, whererever I damn well pleased to be Gal?

Congrats and welcome to leisure time.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:16 AM   #57
Full time employment: Posting here.

Welcome to full time retirement!
Fellow former doctor, here. Like you, it was what I did, not who I was. But if you like, you get to keep the title forever (-small confetti thrown here-)
Being a doctor was hard work and all consuming in a way I only came to appreciate more fully when I stopped doing it. (Probably because my physician-wife suffers from OM decade syndrome, allowing me to see things now from the perspective of a non physician spouse.)

My joyful transition was from full time medicine to full freedom. It was and still is awesome. Still for you, I suspect the change in BS in your life will be euphoric. Be warned, there is a condition that you likely will develop- risoriusalgia- facial pain from smiling so much.

Enjoy!

Old 07-25-2016, 09:33 AM   #58

I gotta say, I love Mondays (most of the folks on here know this) but this morning was a little bit of a bummer with all the "wonderful news" that has happened here and around the world over the last few weeks. BUT...that all changed when I read your update...today is WONDERFUL now! I do love me some good GREAT news and yours is as GREAT as it comes!!! Let the OFFICIAL COUNTDOWN BEGIN!!!

CONGRATS!!!!

Quote:
Be warned, there is a condition that you likely will develop- risoriusalgia- facial pain from smiling so much
Ah...a condition that I suffer from and am happy that there isn't an overpriced medicine for it!
Old 07-25-2016, 12:41 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats EastWest!
Old 07-25-2016, 07:54 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

I've never met a retired physician who said "I wish I was still in practice." Congratulations on taking the plunge. Hope you will post on your initial impressions of early retirement.