Join Early Retirement Today

Young Pup looking for wisdom
Old 07-04-2006, 05:36 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Young Pup looking for wisdom

I found this site through spideyman; we have been on the richdad site for the last 4 years.*

I am still young but I am looking at gleaning some wisdom from those of you who have accomplished ER.*

Here is me:*

I am 29; I work in Army Special Operations and currently live in Italy. I have been married for 9 years and have 2 children ages 7 and 6.* From age 17-21, I built, operated and sold/transferred 2 small businesses.* I then joined the Army, the first time, and ended up outside Seattle.* During this time, I got involved with the infamous Amway/Quixtar business, although I didn’t build this business; I picked up many good habits and got the dream to retire young.* I also got to spend time with many self-made millionaires and tried to learn from them. I also got my Bachelors in Marketing during this time.

Next, I worked in sales and then insurance, because of my performance, I got a lot of face time and trips with the CEO's of a number of companies, I tried to learn as much as possible.* I then started working as a Financial Planner for 2 years.* I specialized in business owners and complex estate planning for wealthy individuals.*

I left Financial planning for two reasons:*

First, I felt like a glorified salesperson and second, I wanted to teach people about building wealth and smart investing habits.* My company wanted me to push products and numbers.* So I left and rejoined the military.*

I joined the military mainly for the pension after 20 years and the benefits (insurance, LTC, etc) I learned Arabic and have made frequent trips to the Middle East since 9/11.*

I really started investing around 2001.* I got really interested in accredited-type investments and how to access them without being accredited.* I follow Robert Kiyosaki’s investment advice of “Don’t be Average”* I have averaged 30% or more returns since 2002 using stocks, options, managed futures funds and mutual funds.*

I own 2 real estate rentals for positive cashflow.* I try to buy 85% under FMV and rent for cashflow.* I plan on buying a new rental at least once every 2 years (hopefully more) and then ultimately, 1031 exchanging into a Triple Net Lease commercial property.* I hold my properties using the PREMES, Professional Real Estate Multiple Entity Structure which is essentially a LP with an LLC as the general partner.* *

I invest using CANSLIM for stocks and options and I am evaluating a service that uses LEAPs for above average returns.*

My new passion is global investments.* Since I am in Europe, I have a foreign bank account and foreign investment account.* This has opened doors to many investments that most American’s aren’t even aware of.* I have a team of advisors who specialize in legal offshore investing, tax planning, attorneys, etc.*

Using my knowledge and financial planning background, I have helped numerous soldiers set up retirement accounts, invest and develop financial plans.*

This is my exit strategy.*

At 45, I will be able to retire with a military pension of just over $5000 per month.* My Roth IRA will have at least $1M as will my spouses.* I will 1031 exchange my real estate into a Triple Net Lease commercial property for monthly cashflow of $8000 or more.*

I plan on retiring in the mountains and also have a condo in the Caribbean (Cayman’s, Belize,?)* I want to spend my retirement writing a book on wealth and spend a majority of my time giving and helping charities raise funds.* I am also active in my church and plan on working there as well.*

That is me.* Glad to meet you.

Lance
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Young Pup looking for wisdom
Old 07-04-2006, 06:25 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Lance. We have a number of early retired military here. You sure have done a lot for a 29 year old! What is spideyman?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 06:37 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Spideyman is a new member here too.

http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...p?topic=8227.0

Lance
Old 07-04-2006, 07:20 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I fogot to mention that I am "bad debt" free, except for a car loan around $20K

My current holdings in my/DW Roths: Agressive!

Strategic Energy Fund - SEF.UN - Purchase Price - $12.18
ProFunds UltraBear Investor Class - URPIX - Purchase Price - $18.32
PALL Corporation - PLL - Purchase Price - $27.90
Gold Corp. - GG - Purchase Price - $26.30 up 19% so far
Merrill Lynch World Energy Fund - Purchase Price - $20.90
Oppenheimer Real Asset Fund Class C - QRACX - $7.60

Asian Currency Sandwich –
Japanese Yen, Singapore dollar, Thai Baht, Hong Kong dollar, and the Chinese Yuan – - $33.74

Dow Jones Global Titans Euro - Purchase Price - €21.49
Zurich Financial - ZURN.VX - Purchase Price- 268.00 CHF
VIVIDAS GROUP - VDS.L- Purchase Price- $45.50

I use a -10% stop loss and sell off 1/4 of my holdings at +25%, +30%, +35% to lock in gains.

I don't use buy, hold and pray - as I only hold an average of 6 months - 3 years.

My recent winners:

BOOM - Purchase Price $22.64 up 52%
CHL - Purchase Price $22.60 up 29%
PKX - Purchase Price $51.42 up 30%

Note: These are not from my own devine wisdom, I use various advisory services and pick the ones I feel the best about.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:24 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

With all you have done you should be teaching us.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:15 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm

I was where you are once - long ago and far far away circa 1966 - 1976 or so.

Good luck.

DeGaul and the Norwegian widow have patience.

heh heh heh - BTY I know a rare few who successfully pulled it off. They knew when to switch from offense to defense.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 09:28 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick2
heh heh heh - BTY I know a rare few who successfully pulled it off. They knew when to switch from offense to defense.
That's the key, the closer you get to ER, the less you can be "all in" I using my age to my advantage and going defense slowly as I et closer.

I also use a 10% stop loss no matter what!
Old 07-04-2006, 09:35 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

You know whats funny? I've never used a stop loss in my life. Just a boring old buy and holder.

What happens if theres a sudden downturn due to some expected major event, your stop loss kicks in and saves you from more than a 10% drop, then things turn around and pop back up to where they were?

I dunno, say a report of a major terrorist attack that turns out to just be the staypuft marshmallow man float got away from his moorings?

Do you use a second mechanism to jump back in if things start popping back up after the stop loss kicks in?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 09:43 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Do you use a second mechanism to jump back in if things start popping back up after the stop loss kicks in?
This is part of CANSLIM, developed by William O’Neil the founder of Investors Business Daily.

If a stock comes back and shows signs of strength, say breaking above the 50 day moving average for three consecutive days or making a new high after the 10% drop, I would then re-enter the position.

The 10% stop loss insures you do not lose more than 10% in any investment, getting people to stay true to the principle is another thing.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:10 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you are a type A personality.

Your type of investing makes my head hurt, but I have a coworker who does the same type of stuff and has been succesful at it as well. Not for everybody, but more power to you! It sounds like you have a ton to offer the board by way of different viewpoints and rare experiences. There are a lot of buy and hold, rebalance once every other year, index fund types here, myself included. We can often sound a bit like we are chanting a mantra, but don't let that discourage you from injected your own opinion, we'll all be better off with a fresh take! Welcome, glad to have you here!
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 10:25 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyopRanger
This is part of CANSLIM, developed by William O’Neil the founder of Investors Business Daily.

If a stock comes back and shows signs of strength, say breaking above the 50 day moving average for three consecutive days or making a new high after the 10% drop, I would then re-enter the position.

The 10% stop loss insures you do not lose more than 10% in any investment, getting people to stay true to the principle is another thing.
Sounds like, in a knee jerk situation (which happens all the time), you'd lose your 10% and then get back in when opportunities for upside have already been taken.

It makes me uncomfortable to see automated systems laid over what is primarily psychological in nature...short term market movements. The downside protection seems fine, its that upside loss that worries me. Seems more like trying to predict short term movements while protecting yourself from the unexpected.

I mean this in the nicest way, but good luck with that over the long haul.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 10:35 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Chances are that if you continue with your current investment strategy and if you track all of you investment expenses and taxes, in 20 years you'll find that you would have done significantly better had you just bought and held a low-expense index fund.

It took me 20 years to discover this for myself. *Maybe you'll be lucky and beat the averages. * Maybe you'll do some serious research and realize that playing the market rarely pays off. *But I'm guessing that you will have to learn it the hard, expensive way.

Old 07-04-2006, 10:40 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Sounds like, in a knee jerk situation (which happens all the time), you'd lose your 10% and then get back in when opportunities for upside have already been taken.

It makes me uncomfortable to see automated systems laid over what is primarily psychological in nature...short term market movements. The downside protection seems fine, its that upside loss that worries me. Seems more like trying to predict short term movements while protecting yourself from the unexpected.

I mean this in the nicest way, but good luck with that over the long haul.
Actually no, this is what CANSLIM stands for:

C= Current earnings per share should be up 25% or more and in many cases accelerating in recent quarters. Quarterly sales should also be up 25% or more or accelerating over prior quarters.

A= Annual earnings should be up 25% or more in each of the last three years. Annual return on equity should be 17% or more

N= A company should have a new product or service that's fueling earnings growth. The stock should be emerging from a proper chart pattern and about to make a new high in price

S= Supply and demand. Shares outstanding can be large or small, but trading volume should be big as the stock price increases.

L= Leader or laggard? Buy the leading stock in a leading industry. A stock's Relative Price Strength Rating should be 80 or higher.

I= Institutional sponsorship should be increasing. Invest in stocks showing increasing ownership by mutual funds in recent quarters. IBD's Accumulation/Distribution Rating gauges mutual fund activity in a stock.

M= The market indexes, the Dow, S&P 500 and Nasdaq, should be in a confirmed up trend since three out of four stocks follow the market's overall trend.

The market direction is key to your investing; right now CANSLIM investors are mostly in cash.

As for the results:

Numerous articles in the American Association of Individual Investors' monthly journal have spoken highly of the CANSLIM approach. In an independent study CANSLIM has performed at an 860.3% return from Jan. 1998 – Dec. 2005.

AAII is an independent not-for-profit corporation with over 170,000 members, formed in 1978 for the purpose of assisting individuals in becoming effective managers of their own assets through programs of education, information, and research.

source: http://www.investors.com/
Old 07-04-2006, 10:45 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

So I guess on this forum there is only one way to skin a cat...

Make a lot of money, max your retirement accounts and buy index funds through dollar cost averaging and DRIPs?

I guess the millions of dollars of research by leading financial companies into the success of CANSLIM investing, is wrong by your account.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:48 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Most of us have seen "research" by Bernstein, Bogle, Siegal, Schiller, etc. that says a well-diversified, low-cost portfolio of index funds will beat most actively managed funds in the long run...

YMMV...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 10:53 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR
Most of us have seen "research" by Bernstein, Bogle, Siegal, Schiller, etc. that says a well-diversified, low-cost portfolio of index dunds will beat most actively managed funds in the long run...

YMMV...
To retire when, at 65?

Believe me, when I am not making great positive returns on my strategy, I will change it.

Until then….
Old 07-04-2006, 10:55 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

You have to work on your gleaning skills.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:00 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
Chances are that if you continue with your current investment strategy and if you track all of you investment expenses and taxes, in 20 years you'll find that you would have done significantly better had you just bought and held a low-expense index fund.
Investment expenses? About $9.99 per month
Taxes? I invest in a Roth IRA

Old 07-04-2006, 11:02 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
You have to work on your gleaning skills.
Your right, I've been too busy defending my current plan.

Sorry 8)

Old 07-04-2006, 11:04 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR
Most of us have seen "research" by Bernstein, Bogle, Siegal, Schiller, etc. that says a well-diversified, low-cost portfolio of index dunds will beat most actively managed funds in the long run...

YMMV...
Yes, actively managed funds will do worse than a low-cost portfolio of index funds. However, Lance is doing it himself with an incredible amount of discipline following an established method. I could not do it, because it requires me to stay on top of that stuff at all times (not interested in it either). I tried to look at the cups and handles and whatever combined witih the CANSLIM wisdom - I just did not see it.

I personally could not handle seeing my portfolio grow at a miserable 5-7%/year before inflation in a 'well balanced portfolio" - that would have required me to be a W-2 slave until I wouldl be well in my 50's and be a miser all the way. Instead I focus on aggressive tax strategies and very high yielding private investments and real estate.

Lance, congrats on what you are doing and you don't need any wisdom. Your investments are doing more than okiedokie and you got your liabilty with the real estate taken care of too. Now... I just wonder whether you can stick it out in that military for that long until you are getting that medical etc..

Vicky
vic is offline   Reply With Quote