Join Early Retirement Today

$1,041.95 in Dental Work
Old 06-08-2009, 05:44 PM   #1
Administrator

$1,041.95 in Dental Work

We have a small RV dump station in our town built by the municipality near a boat launch. Every day I walk my dog by the river and go past the RV dump. So... yesterday I was amazed to see a couple in a brand new trailer dumping onto the ground rather than into the dump opening and yelling at each other at the top of their lungs.

The dump is well designed and has well sloped sides leading to the 'hole' but they had covered the hole with a screen. Why?

Turns out that one of them had dropped a dental bridge in to the toilet (never, ever multitask in the morning) and they figured it would flush out at the dump station. I got to watch the entire hilarious project.

First they dumped and watched the screen for the bridge. This didn't go very well. The screen diameter was pretty small and kept clogging. It was the screen from one of their windows. Sweeping it with their brand new collapsible broom helped keep it clear.

Screen replacement parts: $5.00
Broom: $ 8.95

After dumping the entire (very full) tank and finding no bridge, they decided that the device must have settled to the bottom of the black tank and not been evacuated. So... they got our their water hose and a water thief and hooked up to the dump station water stub to fill their black tank via the toilet.

New (unpolluted) hose: $15.00
New water thief: $4.00

Once they had hooked all this up, they apparently shoved the hose into the toilet, keeping the valve open and turned on the water. Then they pulled the dump valve again. No teeth.

After some (loud) discussion they decided that the teeth must be stuck or jammed and that they needed to agitate the tank to dislodge them. At this point 2 more rigs have pulled up to dump and are waiting in line. One is towing a boat with a sunburnt and somewhat drunk crew. The fisherfolk are getting out cans of cold refreshment and one has a lawn chair. Another one has a plan....

How to agitate a black tank (while it's still attached to trailer) method 1: Get 4 cans of beer and some buddies. Refill tank with water. Open cans of beer and position buddies on each corner of trailer. On que, rock trailer back and forth. Position one person in bathroom with toilet valve open to listen for sloshing. Do not drop beer. When good sloshing sounds can be heard in tank, pull the dump valve and wait for teeth.

Unfortunately, the teeth didn't appear and by this time the helpers were thirsty again. The owner with no lower teeth offered them more refreshments. They were thrilled because he had high end beer (they were drinking the cheap) stuff.

4 bottles of redhook: $6.00

3 more rigs are now in line at the dump station and one woman (with 2 teens) has a camera out. Her kid has a cellphone held up high in the video capture position.

How to agitate a black tank method 2: Add water and then start tow vehicle up. Make sure the water is really flowing and tank is full to get a good dump. Go forward and back in rapid succession to really get things stirred up. So.....

They leave the hose filling the toilet attached and station one person in front of trailer to keep an eye on the hitch. Another will be the driver and several more will stand and watch for teeth. The wind has picked up and the screen is on the verge of blowing away. One person holds it down with foot. Wife will pull dump handle.

The driver decides to set the emergency brake and then does the forward/back thing. The engine starts, the water is flowing, the spotters are ready, wife is in place, and the forward/back thing starts. You can smell the transmission and hear the clunks and he sifts back and forth. The crowd is cheering and offering advice. Then the dump handle is pulled. Whoosh! Lots of water - no teeth. The foot holding the screen gets soaked and the owner of the foot steps back, sticking foot into open dump hole, twisting ankle and crying out in pain. The proceedings stop and the crowd gathers around the fallen helper to offer aid (and a beer). After a time water begins to run out the trailer door.

Another redhook: $1.50

Remember the hose stuck in the toilet? It had dislodged from the valve during the forward/reverse process and was filling the trailer, whipping around and covering the walls.

Trailer rehab: $1000.00

The volunteer who had been watching the hitch runs inside to trap the hose. A couple of minutes later he comes out and says hey buddy - is this what your looking for? He is holding teeth and new fresh beer. "I found 'em in the fridge"

One more redhook: $1.50

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2009, 05:48 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Instant classic.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:51 PM   #3

Great story. Of course, when they didn't come out the first time I suspected that they probably weren't in there. But they didn't see them in the fridge when they were getting the redhook.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:52 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Shouldn't this be in Its funny joke Thursday!

Great story
Old 06-08-2009, 05:54 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Hilarious! Beats my story: what is that noise coming from the bathroom? Forgot I was filling the tub, turn off faucet, unplug tub, find mop and bucket, mop up water, change shoes, done.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:02 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Every day I walk my dog by the river
Great story, even if untrue.

What kind of dog? My dog would not stand still for all of that nonsense unless he was off the leash.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:06 PM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Great story, even if untrue.

What kind of dog? My dog would not stand still for all of that nonsense unless he was off the leash.
True story. Border collie.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:18 PM   #8

Very funny. Did put a major grin on my face.

I guess the moral of the story is don't assume the worst.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:21 PM   #9

I keep wondering what would have happened had the bridge turned up in some of that "screened material". No amount of scrubbing, boiling, or bleaching would ever get me to put that dental apparatus back in my mouth.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:29 PM   #10

Perhaps you aren't frugal enough for this board?
Old 06-08-2009, 06:30 PM   #11

Proudly, no.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:55 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I keep wondering what would have happened had the bridge turned up in some of that "screened material". No amount of scrubbing, boiling, or bleaching would ever get me to put that dental apparatus back in my mouth.
How about if it was cleaned with this baby?
Autoclave (medical) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 06-08-2009, 07:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
How about if it was cleaned with this baby?
Autoclave (medical) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You go first...

Old 06-08-2009, 07:36 PM   #14

Cool story to tell on the forum: priceless.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:49 PM   #15

Wow I had to read it about 4 times.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:03 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Randy Quaid as Cousin Eddy in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation: "Sh*tter's full."
Old 06-08-2009, 08:13 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Great story !
Old 06-08-2009, 08:51 PM   #18

Awesome, just awesome. And I can attest that a Border Collie would have been thrilled to watch all of those goings-on. They can't get enough of people-watching, especially very agitated people.

Love the story. And I agree, there isn't anything in the world that would have made me put dentures back in my mouth after they'd been in our black water tank. Ugh!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:59 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Despite the poster's admin appointment, I nominate this post for "Best of the Boards".

Of this board and the RV board.

And I've never even read the RV board.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:06 PM   #20

Hear hear