Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

1-800 Dialaround Service
Old 05-08-2010, 06:14 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

1-800 Dialaround Service

For years we've used Kallcents for our "dialaround" long distance. We'd dial an 800 number, it would recognize our phone number from caller ID, and then we'd enter the number we want to dial. This was programmed into the phone, with pauses, and our long distance bill would be at most $3/month.

However, someone has hacked the system, so now you have to enter your PIN each time. That would be fine, but my phone doesn't allow me to program in that many keypresses (e.g. 18008788p1234p5167648772), and there's no way to chain the programmed numbers.

So, we have to switch to a different provider. Anyone got one that they use and like?

BTW, Skype works pretty well on the iPod touch, so I could use that.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2010, 08:33 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Can't you program the later codes as different entries in speed dial? In the call, you'd need to 'dial' the last code or two as different 'speed dial' numbers. I think most phones let you do this?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:38 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

T Al, I use Google voice for free long distance. I've been very satisfied.

It may require an invite. Feel free to PM me for one.

Coach
Old 05-09-2010, 08:02 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Can't you program the later codes as different entries in speed dial? In the call, you'd need to 'dial' the last code or two as different 'speed dial' numbers. I think most phones let you do this?

-ERD50
Mine doesn't. When connected the keys used for choosing speed dial entries do other things.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:30 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

-ERD50
Had the same thought here. Brings back memories to the dark ages before the internet. I remember checking on the balances of my mutual fund accounts by phone. One key programmed for the mutual fund phone number, another key programmed for the fund account number and pin.

Been awhile since I've used dial around services (remember all those 10-10-### commercials?).

For my long distance, I use a combination of magicjack and tk6000 calling devices (neither totally bug free, but I'm content to not pay the phone company).
easysurfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 06:04 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Wow, thanks Coach. I just signed up for the awesomeness that is Google voice using the invitation that Coach sent me, tried a free long distance call, and left myself a voice mail message. Google voice transcribes voice mail messages and sends them to my email. Because all my contacts are stored with Google contacts, it knows all the phone numbers I might want to call.

To make a free long distance call, I go to the google voice web page, choose call and select the contact. It then calls me and connects me with (calls) the other person.

All U.S. calls are free, and calls to Sweden are only .02 cents/minute.

Here is the transcription of the voice mail message that I left myself:
Hi. This is a test of the message system for pool voice. I wanna see how well the transcription works and generally see how it works. That's it. Bye bye.

The only word it got wrong was pool instead of "google." I think I said "I want to" and not "I wanna."
Old 05-09-2010, 06:16 PM   #7

I have used Tel3advantage.com in the past with good results.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 06:38 PM   #8

I use onesuite.com and do not have to put in my pincode each time plus there is a local number available in my area. I've been pleased with the service.

Would love to get a Google Voice number and signed up to request one some time ago, but nothing yet.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 06:55 PM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay View Post
I use onesuite.com and do not have to put in my pincode each time plus there is a local number available in my area. I've been pleased with the service.

Would love to get a Google Voice number and signed up to request one some time ago, but nothing yet.
I've just requested one as well, it looks like it is pretty good.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:39 AM   #10

The easiest thing to use is Ooma. Works just like a POTS-line, but it's free as long as they stay in business, after you purchase their equipment. Google Voice is great also, except you usually need to go through the computer to make a call. If you are going to stick with Skype, there is a free service called Ring2Skype that gives you a regular phone number for free and then forwards calls to your Skype account.

My vote is for Ooma and Google Voice.
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote