1-800 Dialaround Service

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
For years we've used Kallcents for our "dialaround" long distance. We'd dial an 800 number, it would recognize our phone number from caller ID, and then we'd enter the number we want to dial. This was programmed into the phone, with pauses, and our long distance bill would be at most $3/month.

However, someone has hacked the system, so now you have to enter your PIN each time. That would be fine, but my phone doesn't allow me to program in that many keypresses (e.g. 18008788p1234p5167648772), and there's no way to chain the programmed numbers.

So, we have to switch to a different provider. Anyone got one that they use and like?

BTW, Skype works pretty well on the iPod touch, so I could use that.

Can't you program the later codes as different entries in speed dial? In the call, you'd need to 'dial' the last code or two as different 'speed dial' numbers. I think most phones let you do this?

-ERD50

T Al, I use Google voice for free long distance. I've been very satisfied.

It may require an invite. Feel free to PM me for one.

Coach

Can't you program the later codes as different entries in speed dial? In the call, you'd need to 'dial' the last code or two as different 'speed dial' numbers. I think most phones let you do this?

-ERD50

Mine doesn't. When connected the keys used for choosing speed dial entries do other things.

-ERD50

Had the same thought here. Brings back memories to the dark ages before the internet. I remember checking on the balances of my mutual fund accounts by phone. One key programmed for the mutual fund phone number, another key programmed for the fund account number and pin.

Been awhile since I've used dial around services (remember all those 10-10-### commercials?).

For my long distance, I use a combination of magicjack and tk6000 calling devices (neither totally bug free, but I'm content to not pay the phone company).

Wow, thanks Coach. I just signed up for the awesomeness that is Google voice using the invitation that Coach sent me, tried a free long distance call, and left myself a voice mail message. Google voice transcribes voice mail messages and sends them to my email. Because all my contacts are stored with Google contacts, it knows all the phone numbers I might want to call.

To make a free long distance call, I go to the google voice web page, choose call and select the contact. It then calls me and connects me with (calls) the other person.

All U.S. calls are free, and calls to Sweden are only .02 cents/minute.

Here is the transcription of the voice mail message that I left myself:
Hi. This is a test of the message system for pool voice. I wanna see how well the transcription works and generally see how it works. That's it. Bye bye.

The only word it got wrong was pool instead of "google." I think I said "I want to" and not "I wanna."

I have used Tel3advantage.com in the past with good results.

I use onesuite.com and do not have to put in my pincode each time plus there is a local number available in my area. I've been pleased with the service.

Would love to get a Google Voice number and signed up to request one some time ago, but nothing yet.

I use onesuite.com and do not have to put in my pincode each time plus there is a local number available in my area. I've been pleased with the service.

Would love to get a Google Voice number and signed up to request one some time ago, but nothing yet.

I've just requested one as well, it looks like it is pretty good.

The easiest thing to use is Ooma. Works just like a POTS-line, but it's free as long as they stay in business, after you purchase their equipment. Google Voice is great also, except you usually need to go through the computer to make a call. If you are going to stick with Skype, there is a free service called Ring2Skype that gives you a regular phone number for free and then forwards calls to your Skype account.

My vote is for Ooma and Google Voice.

Back
Top Bottom