Join Early Retirement Today

$1 Million Dollar Bounty Reward
Old 02-10-2013, 03:50 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

$1 Million Dollar Bounty Reward

"Seeking leads in a massive manhunt, Los Angeles authorities on Sunday offered a $1 million reward for information leading to the arrest of Christopher Dorner, the former police officer suspected in three killings."

Authorities announce $1 million reward for Dorner - Yahoo! News

The story in the news recently reads like an episode of "Criminal Minds." Former cop and military person, now out for personal revenge, naming names with a hit list.

I think with or without a reward, he would eventually be caught. But for $1M, maybe those close to him will tell on him.

Also, the $1M reward seems to show that the police are pretty scared that he might get away .
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2013, 03:56 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Wow! Too bad I don't know where he is. $1,000,000 would sure fluff up my portfolio balance.

Surely that is enough to do the job.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

There's plenty of pressure to capture him as the guy's already making the LAPD look like keystone cops. The LAPD held two guys under mistaken identity and shot two women in a vehicle that they thought belonged to the suspect. The women already lawyered up and ready to sue.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:14 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I read the manifesto posted online. It is very long and tends to ramble, a lot of what he said is nonsense as in what does that have to do with his beef. The guy is a total nut case. I predict he'll commit suicide as the cops move in on him.
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:32 PM   #5
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
I predict he'll commit suicide as the cops move in on him.
+1 I wouldn't be surprised at that!
HighRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:34 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
There's plenty of pressure to capture him as the guy's already making the LAPD look like keystone cops. The LAPD held two guys under mistaken identity and shot two women in a vehicle that they thought belonged to the suspect. The women already lawyered up and ready to sue.
Yes, I think the cops are really over the top.

Two small latinas, one 71 years old and the other her daughter, are out in the early AM in their Toyota Tacoma delivering newspapers on their regular route. The cops shoot the 71 year old woman in the back, and hit the younger one in her hand.

Meanwhile, the suspect is a very tall and large black man driving a Nissan.

Close enough for government work? I don't know, but it doesn't seem close enough to me.

Ha
Old 02-10-2013, 07:29 PM   #7

I saw another shoot out in nearby town (Torrence?) with a guy in a pickup. White guy, different make and color pickup. He had been stopped by other cops just a few blocks away and apparently no communication between police groups.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,3955268.story

He also survived the hail of bullets. Police are looking pretty nervous and scary on this manhunt. But fortunately they also appear to be pretty bad shots.

Since the suspect knows the police are shooting up random pickup trucks, he's probably switched vehicles by now anyway.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:11 PM   #8

OK great, the stupid people hunting pythons in the Everglades are now on their way to California.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:22 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

What are the chances the cops would put up a million dollar reward for information leading to the arrest of a known serial killer of ordinary citizens? Good to know where their priorities are.
AndrewJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:10 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I think with the bounty, someone (probably the guy's best friend, if he has one) will turn him in.

Without the bounty, he'd probably get caught (but maybe not until 10 years from now and by accident).
Old 02-11-2013, 08:35 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

From what I've read his truck was found in a remote part of Big Bear with a broken axle. He was caught in a heavy snow storm - he torched the truck. My guess is he is somewhere in the woods up there dead either by exposure or his own bullet.
But until he is found the police are gonna be jumpy
Old 02-11-2013, 09:34 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

They wouldn't offer up a bounty like this if he killed anyone other than cops.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:45 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I've heard that he has flight training. So, perhaps the burnt truck was a diversion to keep the cops busy as he flew somewhere else.

I think the $1M reward changes things. Let's say if he is still on the run and has to refuel or buy food, with his face all over the place with a $1M bounty, that makes thing much more difficult for him.

Also, in a recent press conference, the cops said they will revisit the case as to why he was fired. From watching those TV crime shows , I think that's a tactic by the cops to bait him to communicate to find out where he's at.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzo View Post
But until he is found the police are gonna be jumpy
If a civilian got "jumpy" and started shooting people what would be said?
Old 02-11-2013, 10:34 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
If a civilian got "jumpy" and started shooting people what would be said?
Nothing would be said. He woud be shot by police on first contact.

Even soldiers in a war zone, by today's rules would have a hard time getting away with the degree of "jumpiness" shown by the LAPD who seem to have opened up on anything that moves.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:15 PM   #16

I'm surprised that the LA police are going to reopen his case. However, I think this is a ruse to draw him out.

The reward is payable upon info leading to a conviction. I wouldn't hold my breath for that money with appeal after appeal by lawyers out to get famous.
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:46 PM   #17

I seriously doubt there is going to be a conviction. He either already froze to death, will kill himself when the cops find him, or will die in a shootout with police. I see very small chance of this getting to trial. If the reward is dependent on a conviction, I doubt it gets paid out. The story linked in the OP says the reward is for info leading to the arrest. It doesn't say anything about a conviction.

Also, the money was raised by private donors. The cops aren't putting the money up. Private donors can raise huge rewards for anything they want. Whose fault is it they they don't raise that much reward money for "regular" murderers? What about the $500,000 reward in the Washington DC sniper case? That had nothing to do with cops getting shot.
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Yes, I think the cops are really over the top.

Two small latinas, one 71 years old and the other her daughter, are out in the early AM in their Toyota Tacoma delivering newspapers on their regular route. The cops shoot the 71 year old woman in the back, and hit the younger one in her hand.

Meanwhile, the suspect is a very tall and large black man driving a Nissan.

Close enough for government work? I don't know, but it doesn't seem close enough to me.

Ha
Agreed. Since they seem bent on a gangster-style execution one hopes they'd at least establish a positive ID before opening fire. If not on the man at least on the vehicle.
jon-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:26 AM   #19

Well, clearly they haven't since the two incidents of shooting suspected truck occupants have been Hispanic women and a White guy (obviously neither of whom are Black men, so even the most rudimentary attempt at identification either failed or wasn't attempted). Further both of them were driving different makes and colors of trucks, so the truck wasn't identified either. At least the suspect truck is now reported found and burned, so no more mistaking innocent vehicles for it.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:23 AM   #20

I don't fear this guy. I fear the police.
dmpi is online now   Reply With Quote